8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 filming again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 filming again
Trevor Massey
Junior

- posted September 13, 2016 01:56 PM      Profile for Trevor Massey   Email Trevor Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone still taking movies on film? Is film still available? And what about processing.?

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Trevor. We're all crossing our fingers for Ferrania to bring back quality filmstock at affordable price but the Italian company is not ready, yet. Waiting for that, black and white and colour film is available from other makes : in black and white, you have Kodak, Wittner and Adox (cheaper). In colour, Kahl and Wittner (Retro 8 in Japan is reintroducing filmstock also but is out of stock at the moment).

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2016 02:07 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Not terribly long ago, there was a place not far from me that processed Super 8 film but they're apparently no longer in business. Now I have to mail it half-way across the country, or... develop it myself which is something I'm considering.

It does get a little complicated because the digital revolution even includes film. A lot of the color Super 8 film sold today is "color negative" film which is intended to be scanned rather than projected. Color "reversal" film is film that can be projected after processing but it's not as readily available.

Kodak makes color negative film and it's supposed to be excellent but they no longer make color reversal film.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Tom that's why I named Kodak only for the black and white stock.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2016 04:50 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right Dominique. Kodak does have a B&W reversal product, not color. But they do have a color super 8 film, just not the traditional kind which you can use in a projector. It is very well suited to scanning, however, if that's you're ultimate goal.

I guess what I haven't mentioned is that while film and processing are still available, it's much more expensive now than it used to be. Along with the lack of color reversal options, this is what keeps me from filming more Super 8. Hopefully Ferrania can help with that situation.

Also earlier in the year, Kodak said that they were going to market a new Super 8 camera, build a new factory, etc. So that might mean better prices for film and processing. It doesn't seem like color reversal film is part of their plans though.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, there are colour reversal filmstocks, but not Kodak (Kahl and Wittner to name two). The price is indeed high and the Wittner's 200 asa stock is, in my opinion, too grainy.

--------------------
Dominique

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2016 05:10 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,

Do you think rating the film at 100 and pulling the development by 1 stop will help control the grain? I have 2x100ft rolls on 16mm in my refrigerator I have been holding onto for a little while now. Waiting for the right project.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan, I guess if it was so it would have been advised by filmakers. I sadly never readed anything like that. Maybe Jason, the forum member who lives in Japan, will be able to tell more about the super 8 film manufactured by Retro 8. It seems that when I sent them an e-mail they were out of stock (anyway I never got any answer from them).

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2016 05:17 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pro8mm sells a 200D reversal that I thought was Agfa but maybe it's Wittner. At any rate that is also grainier than I'd like.

I'd also be interested in the answer to Evan's question but for now I've decided to stick with B&W. I might try a color negative film and just reverse it in software. Won't look good projected but there aren't a lot of better options at the moment.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, Wittner filmstock is more than probably Agfa stock.

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 13, 2016 09:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor,

I don't mean to discourage you but you came a little bit late in super 8mm film making league.

I had been filming super 8mm from 1989 - 2013 (before that my father did filming for me).

I used super 8mm for casual shootings, not meant for making indie films. So I shot my school, birthday party, our holidays, etc just like people did with their video camera.

During that time, shooting super 8mm had also been expensive but still affordable for most of our pockets.

For example, the availability stocks I used at that time:

1989 - 1997 I used Kodachrome color reversal stock. One 50' cartridge (3 minutes) was $8 for silent and $12 for sound...and that processing included!

1998 - 2005 Sound cartridge was discontinued and only Kodacrome silent color stock was available. The price was around $11. I still remember my post in 2003 regarding this: http://alt.movies.cinematography.s uper8.narkive.com/hhEniSgp/re-super-8mm-k40-only-6-75-us-11-3-au-17-at-elizabeth-pharmacy-melb-aus-prepaid

2006 - 2012 Kodak replaced the Kodachrome to Ektachrome 64T and 100D color reversal stock. The price rise to $15-18 ...but the processing did not include. So we must send to Dwayne for $11 more...yet I was still filming, Until Kodak stopped producing reversal color stock in Dec 2012

In 2013 I only used my left over stock, and finally sold them all (about 6 carts), since the price of processing also had increased.

Now.. there are few remaining stocks as Dom mentioned above, but the prices are ridiculous for casual shooters like me. I believe it is about $25/cart where the processing cost is $15. Not to mention the postage to send to the lab v.v that can reach $30 alone. So for one cart can hit our pocket to about $70.

I don't shoot anymore since I also read from many review those remaining stocks are grainer than the previous Kodak. I cannot stand for the grains since it makes everything to become blurrier.

Anyway, if you are interested more on film shooting, there is a well known forum that we are here freed to mention: FilmShooting Forum

Our forum here more about film collecting hobby. We deal with the same format, but different on the aim.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 14, 2016 03:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used Super 8 for filming since about the middle seventies when it was easy to pop into Boots the Chemists and buy a 50ft cartridge of magnetic sound film.

I believe that since then things have drastically changed.

Mercury was removed from the small cell batteries used for the coupled exposure meter, the batteries which replaced them had less voltage, this gave incorrect exposures.

Newer film stocks were faster than the good old Kodachrome resulting in some of the cheaper cameras being unable to read their speed due to problems with the cartridge notches.

Perhaps present users of Super 8 cameras could comment on the above. Would high end cameras have facilities to set their exposures manually based on a separate hand-held exposure meter?

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 14, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, you're right about the problem concerning the notches in the super 8 cartridges. Many super 8 cameras only read 40 and 160 asa (fortunately 50 and 200 asas are ok) but some expensive models, like Beaulieu allow to set the exposure meter manually. The no longer available batteries you mentionnes however were used, if I'm not mistaking mainly in double 8 cameras, not really in super 8 ones (but of course there have been so many models that some super 8 models may be concerned as well).

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Super 8 cameras, one that used mercury batteries for the meter (a Nikon) and one that doesn't. The Nikon will let you set the aperture manually but there are also "zinc-air" batteries that have the correct voltage and just as importantly will maintain that same voltage until they die. The problem is that they don't last as long as mercury batteries. Once exposed to air, you are likely to find that they are dead if you haven't used your camera in a couple of months. I'm pretty sure that mercury batteries were only used in cameras sold in the 60's and early 70's.

As Dominique says, not all cameras are compatible with all films but I think that was the case even in 70's and 80's. It can all be very confusing. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's fair to say that if you have anything but a really cheap camera, all the film that Kodak sells today should work except for possibly 500T which says on the box that you need a camera that can handle ASA400 or above.

Some film, like Agfa's 200D don't fit exactly into the Super 8 notch system. Dominique pointed out that Wittner's 200D is made by Agfa. So is Pro8mm's. I read something today that said they don't notch their cartridges the same way. One results in a slight overexposure, the other in a slight under exposure. Don't know if that's true or not. Today's film has more latitude than the film of past decades so it works even though most cameras will not expose it exactly right. Anyway, you can see why it's confusing.

I think the good news is that good Super 8 cameras can be found for little money. Some of the more sought after models (like newer canons and nikons) command a premium.

[ September 14, 2016, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Trevor Massey
Junior

- posted September 14, 2016 08:53 AM      Profile for Trevor Massey   Email Trevor Massey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice there are old stock films on eBay here in the uk, would they be any good after all these years?

--------------------
Trevor

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had similar questions. The biggest worry though isn't so much the age, it's whether it can be processed anymore. Kodachrome for example can't be. Or more accurately, it can be processed but not the way it was intended. It would be expensive and all you're likely to get is B&W.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 10:47 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom was the company you mentioned film and video of Minneapolis?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 01:07 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

Yeah, Film and Video Services. The phone number I found works but I've left several messages that weren't returned. They also apparently moved to the Little Canada/Vadnais Heights area but the address listed is a private residence with no sign indicating that there's a business operating out of it.

So I figured they're no longer in business but maybe I'm wrong. I would love to be wrong.

Anyway Trevor, as Winbert says, from a monetary standpoint it's very hard to justify filming in Super 8. Last Spring I purchased a camera for $35 (USD). Then I spent almost $160 on film and shipping. Processing was included. That was for two cartridges. One of which was 100D reversal and I paid a premium for it because it's not readily available. If I had stuck with 200D then it would have cost maybe $110 for both. I scanned them myself and ended up with 3 minutes of film I'm happy with out of the 6 minutes worth I shot. Since I now have a camera, that was a one time cost, but film and processing is a killer. Having a local place would have saved the shipping at least.

Was it worth it? I will say yes. I had a specific event I wanted to capture in Super 8 and the people involved enjoyed the results. In the process I've learned so much about photography in general and it has branched off into other areas that have become a hobby. Will I do more? That is the big question. If I do, it will be only for very special things.

[ September 14, 2016, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Tom Spielman ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 14, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, this Dutch lab processes all kind of super 8 cartridges : https://super8.nl/english/e_index.htm

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The loss of Kodachrome 40 and then Ektachrome 64 and 100 were heavy blows to Super 8 film making unless you are willing to transfer negative film to video or use black and white. As others of said Wittner is expensive. I hope Ferrania can produce colour reversal film in the near future.

--------------------
Paul.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique. It looks like they'll process Kodachrome as a B&W negative and they charge quite a bit more than what their normal processing costs are.

Pro8mm in the States will also process Kodachrome (in B&W) and other old film types but I think you need to contact them to get a quote. It's a service that's really intended for those people who have found exposed Kodachrome or something and would like to get it processed to preserve what's on it.

It doesn't make sense for somebody to buy old unexposed Kodachrome (for example) on Ebay as way to get film inexpensively which is what I think Trevor was asking.

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2016 07:36 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you are familiar with Pro8mm lab. I have been wondering why they would price their 4K scanning lower than the 2k. This seems backwards. Any idea?

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 08:27 AM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprising, isn't it? It came up a few weeks ago. I can't remember who first answered that question but it's because they do a lot of post processing with their 2K scans (image stabilization, color correction, noise removal, etc) that they don't do with their 4k scans. They call their 4k scans "data scans" and the assumption is that someone asking for scans in that format will do their own post processing.

I wished they simply offered HD scans, both with and without post processing. Normal Super 8 images aren't all that big and I've heard that even 2k scans are overkill.

James Romero
Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 02:08 PM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8mm has transcended from an amateur medium to a professional medium used by film students, independent filmmakers and even professional film studios for special applications.

But Kodak will also be bringing Super 8mm back into the hands of amateur filmmakers by introducing their new Super 8mm camera this fall that features digital sound.

So film continues to thrive. Film Forever MPE, a company solely committed to film, carries the entire Kodak product line and offers processing for both B/W Reversal and Agfachrome Reversal.

You can get your complete film fix at Film Forever MPE

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC