8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 200' magazines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 200' magazines
Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an expired 200' magazine of unused film I would like to shoot. Besides being uncertain if I'll get an image, I have heard that these magazines would get jammed. Has anyone here used them often enough to tell how reliable they are running through the camera? And if it gets jammed, can it be corrected so you can keep rolling?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 22, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you make it down to Wildwood?

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2016 10:54 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty, I'd like to. Even though I'll have no money to spend, it would be fun just to be there. I can't make the commitment until closer to the date.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 22, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The joy of it is you are within striking range to do it as a day trip.

I'm another hour and a half (on a good day...) and two bridges to cross Staten Island: I do a minimum of one night at the hotel.

I've had a jammed 50 foot cartridge and when I tried to free it up some little plasticky part inside broke and the part that the camera turns just spun free after that.

-shame of it is it was 100D and fresh too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 03:18 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone had much experience shooting 200' magazines? I'm wondering if they would tend to get jammed often. I have the opportunity to have a film lab reload one for me and I'd like to know if that cost is worth it.

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2016 03:34 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Daniel. I haven't been on this forum that long but my impression is that it's a great place if you have technical questions about projectors. However since a sizable proportion of the members are film collectors as opposed to makers, there is less expertise when it comes to cameras and film shooting.

There are people who shoot Super 8 in this forum and there is likely somebody that can help you if you're patient enough but there are other forums that might get you a quicker answer. For search terms, take a look at how I ended the previous paragraph. I think specifically mentioning other forums is discouraged.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 28, 2016 04:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say specifically criticizing other forums is what's discouraged. Generally speaking we are a harmonious bunch here and aren't looking to catapult dung over our walls!

Here is one I used to be pretty active in:

fiimshooting.com

It's true: we are projectors with a smattering of cameras, but they are pretty much the opposite. Filmshooting is a couple of years older than we are, and still pretty active, so there should be a ton of information there.

The 200 foot cartridge was a pretty rare animal even back in the heydays! If I remember right it was envisioned as a tool for TV news crews which never caught on. There were only a few cameras capable of exposing them. Somewhere back about 10-15 years ago someone wanted to launch a 400 foot reloadable magazine for these cameras that never really got past the prototype stage (looked like Mickey Mouse ears!).

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 28, 2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Tom, had it had been a question on a 50ft cartridge, I b would have had bags of experience to have answered, but the 200ft dream cartridges are something unfortunately I never got the opportunity to use Tom.

These were a commodity only ever used by the serious film makers out there.

Many were here a few years back, whether or not they still exist, I do not truly know Tom?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 28, 2016 04:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel

I would check out "Super 8mm" Facebook page, these people on an international level are right into it [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 28, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been times I could use one of these in a day, other times? Months or a year!

I'd love to explain what it is to Airport Security too!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 28, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom. I used some Kodak 200 ft sound magazines long time ago (as they became unvailable before the 50 ft sound cartiges did). Given the price, I shooted only few of them and had two or three times bad experience (was it the camera or the conception of the magazine ?)but generally they worked well. To make a comparison, I shooted a lot of 50 ft cartridges and found a maximum of 2 faulty. When Kodak discontinued them, the company said that the preceeding year they had sold in the US (their main market, they said) less than 1.000 200 ft magazines.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC