8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak EktaSound Movideck 285 Threading problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak EktaSound Movideck 285 Threading problem
Jim Karl
Junior

- posted October 07, 2016 04:53 PM      Profile for Jim Karl   Email Jim Karl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have this projector, doesn't thread either 8mm or super 8. Push the film in the slot (holes towards me as required), can see the little sprocket arms moving in and out on the film and hear a slight chatter but it's obviously not making enough contact to grab the film and move it along. I could take it all apart to get to it, but it looks a bit involved to do that so before I do would be nice to know if anyone has any ideas as to what might be the cause (and if it's worth the disassembly)

-

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 07, 2016 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

I have one of the silent versions of this machine, for a very long time it used to be my only projector.

It seems to me you need to shove the film further into the gate than the point of hearing the chatter. Maybe feed it another inch of film and see if it grabs.

I hope your claw isn't damaged. If that's the reason it could be fatal.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 07, 2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim...I have a 285. Inspect the film path. Frequently film can break off and get stuck. It sometimes can be difficult to see. If there is no obstruction then as Steve suggests thread the film a little deeper until it catches.

I do have a MovieDeck repair manual. PM me your email address if you wish a PDF copy.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jim Karl
Junior

- posted October 07, 2016 07:08 PM      Profile for Jim Karl   Email Jim Karl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed - Path is clear. the film won't move all the way down on it own though unless I separate the two plates slightly then I can push all the way through to the bottom, however the sprocket/arms still never catch on (whether plates are separated or let go to clamp the film). It seems as though the arms touch somewhat at the top (thus the chatter when I first insert the film), but not touch at the bottom as if they were a few millimeters closer to the film all would be fine....

[ October 07, 2016, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Jim Karl ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC