8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Any Ferrania news? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any Ferrania news?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 16, 2017 04:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fabrizio. What I blame them for is that from their last answer cine filmstock seems not to be nor a priority nor even Something important for them. They even suggest that producing cine film will need things they don't seem to have enough (I quote : "the appropriate capacity to produce them, the finances to do so and enough bandwidth for our 7-person factory team to be able to test them thoroughly"). Their communication is close to zero. People are waiting for Ferrania super 8 cartridges and were hoping to see the first ones manufactured in May or June and now we learn almost "by chance" (because I asked them about that) that cine filmstock is not for a foresable future. Is that serious ? I understand it is not easy but we have been waiting for so long now. We deserve a better communication. About the 35 mm unperfored film, I have no problem if it is sold to choosen labs for specific purposes (like to Color City to make 9.5 film) but when they say : "unperfed 35, which we will probably not produce except by special order - and special order films are FAR in the future", it dosen't look like they are aware that people are waiting for filmstock. Now, not after 10 years...

[ April 16, 2017, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dom, your and all the other guys' disappointment is crystal clear and definetly motivated. What I do hope is that the P30 will go from an "Alpha" stage (the one they sold now) to a "Beta" and to Productive phase, so they may move on color stock. My fear is that also P30 productive phase is far too long.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2017 05:47 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest. I had given up on Ferrania a year ago and i'm glad I never paid into any kickstarter campain. Im now more convinced that this is all ONE BIG CON. Im pretty certain in my mind that we will see Ektachrome long before any Ferrania colour movie film surfaces.

Graham S

Tom Spielman
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2017 11:09 PM      Profile for Tom Spielman   Email Tom Spielman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a con, but I do think there are some harsh realities for an endeavor like this. One could hope for more frequent communication from them but no one likes to communicate failure so they put it off until they have better news to pass on. Not an advisable approach but an all too common one.

For the moment I'm actually enjoying my B&W photography more than color anyway and I think that's true of a lot of people that still shoot film. So getting some product out there and having a source of revenue makes sense. Hopefully the volume will be enough to justify the investment in equipment, supplies, and staff to produce color film. However, since Kodak is supposed to be selling Ektachrome by the end of the year, one has to wonder if that will leave much of a market for Ferrania.

If their P30 still film becomes more widely available I'll buy some and do my part. I'd like to see more choices out there in the market. I'm hoping to shoot more Super 8 this summer but it doesn't look it's going to be reversal at this point unless I take my chances on some old stock from Ebay.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2017 01:15 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the latest update:
Quiet Means Busy

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2017 04:08 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From their latest post it is pretty obvious that the pre orders are their priority i .e get money in for goods. No specifics that they are shipping camera film or cine film. Pretty obvious that the backers / kick starters are most definitely not their priority more an annoyance. You have let them buy equipment that is the only mention. You have no legal rights or redress. You may get your reward in weeks or years or like never. It is their choice really. Just don't annoy them ever. If they are commercial successful you might get what you are promised but it go bust well Thanks for your money and That's All Folks.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 06:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
They had better get a jog on it seems, especially if Ektachrome beats them to the finish line!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 18, 2017 08:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had put money into this project I would be very unhappy at the dismissive tone of Ferrania's latest posting.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2017 11:57 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think that I will be once again be loading my Pathe Lido with Ferrania again in my lifetime!! A great pity in a way because the old MC25 colour stock was very good and stable given good processing. Ken Finch.

Nick Collingwood
Junior

- posted May 19, 2017 01:34 PM      Profile for Nick Collingwood   Email Nick Collingwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny and interesting how everyone thinks it is easy and quick to start up a dead factory and just start pumping out cine film. As a relative newcomer in the industry, I can appreciate the effort they are putting in and the wait. I missed the initial kickstarter but have been following their blogs closely over the last year and it they are definitely doing work, not just sitting around wondering how to waste your money. Making P30 to refine their machines is just part of that process.

I think the tone in their recent blog post is just in response to the constant vitriol they've been receiving lately. I get that they're not the most communicative but they are one of the rare companies trying to revive a film stock. Who else is doing this? I've spoken recently with someone at FF and they are definitely working hard to make film on a tight budget while also giving a livable life to their workers. Unlike here in America, they aren't working weekends and they take an honest to God lunch break. Plus there's only 7 of them trying to get the whole factory up and running.

New55's timeline wasn't too far removed. They launched March 2014 and made final deliveries September of 2016 so around 30 months. FF was Sept 30, 2014 and if rewards ship by end of the year (which they may not) that's around 36-40 months. Plus a low cost of investment is precisely what Kickstarter is. Not a store. And you didn't invest 2 million into a company all by yourself. Maybe a few hundred which if you can't afford in the first place, don't pledge.

If you guys honestly wish for the death of a company trying to restart manufacture film then by all means... have fun with your DSLRs... And Kodak isn't much better in regards to their Ektachrome. That's probably a year or so off and they have much better infrastructure yet are still slow. And their camera?? Where's that?

I'm just happy for anything positive for film. With Fujifilm killing off films left and right (2 more killed this week), I'm just grateful for any companies sticking around... slow as they may be. This post isn't meant to be as harsh as it may sound haha. I just really really want them to succeed! So I'm putting any faith I have in them!!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2017 10:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quote from Dave with Ferrania on the Apug forum.

quote:
In fact, because "regular" 8mm film is infinitely easier to produce, it's likely that we will produce a small batch to release alongside Super 8 - just to see how it goes. We have already had a conversation about this as a future prospect because there are so many working 8mm cameras out there that are currently performing decorative duties on fireplace mantles and side tables...
By the way, I just got my rolls of Ferrania P30 Beta in 35mm last week. I'll be shooting a roll soon.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 28, 2017 02:38 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is : "When ?" 😖

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferrania, among other things, says : "By late-Summer 2018, after clearing the hurdles for converting, we can begin initial testing on color reversal film." It seems that they still intend to manufacture "one day" reversal film but Kodak will probably be faster.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
......and better!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 05:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prompted by the Kodak thread I had another look on their site. It seems they can't even get the p30 B&W stock into cartridges fast enough yet!!!
Here's their latest update: -
"For those of you ready to stop reading now, here is the rest of this update in 4 bullets.

We are manufacturing P30 film, but getting it into cartridges at the right volume has become an issue that we have been trying very hard to fix. The video below shows this converting process.

The only real fix is the ultimate one: install the machines you helped us buy. We knew this from the beginning - but the best temporary solution we could find has very strict limits. So we have begun working on installing our 120 machines to help with the bottleneck.

By late-Summer 2018, after clearing the hurdles for converting, we can begin initial testing on color reversal film.

We are reopening our online shop on Thursday, January 25th, in the US/CAN first, and elsewhere soon after. "

Believe it when you see it???

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 01:28 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't konw what to say.. I've long lost all of my confidence in this enterprise... This whole story proves only one thing: crowdfunding should have strict regulations and it should be possible to:
a) determine in a straightforward, inappellable way what the funding is intended for and consequntly easily judge whether or not the fundung has been properly used

b) entitle the backers to a (possibly) full refund in case the answer to the above is a negative one, under penalty of suing.

I have backed several crowdfunded projects before this one and I must admit all of them delivered what they promised... I guess this is the exception that confirms the rule, albeit.... [Confused]

--------------------
Maurizio

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 03:08 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would have every right to ask them for full accounts showing how our money has been spent. A legal contact confirms that there would be a case if we were all to sue them, should no product appear. Personally, I am giving it until the end of 2018 before I begin to proceed to get my money back. Even that though, is TOO long to wait.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very far from the factory, which is in the North, I live in the south of Italy, otherwise I would have done a ride with pleasure!

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, in Italy we have had class action for a few years now, so that might be an option. Perhaps we should start counting us to such a goal..

--------------------
Maurizio

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget Ferrania folks, kodak is the answer and i can assure you kodak will kill ferrania project for sure.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 12:42 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, that might be true, but it's no comfort to folk like Simon who has obviously backed them with his hard earned money.

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC