8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodascope Eight Model 70 issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodascope Eight Model 70 issue
Kurt Steltenpohl
Junior

- posted January 02, 2017 07:41 PM      Profile for Kurt Steltenpohl   Email Kurt Steltenpohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My projector works well for 5 or 10 minutes, but then slows down significantly and gets very hot. Any ideas on the cause or a repair would be appreciated.

Could use a manual too!

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2017 04:32 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurt,
I've come across this problem before but can't remember what is happening.
I've asked on a Facebook page for Standard 8mm projectors and films and will see what the replies are [Smile]

Just got this advice .... Sundown Johnny said Mine did the same thing. I oiled everything that turns and that fixed it.

Antonio said .... Open the back cover of the projector and take some photos. The problem is on shutter fly at that point should be a tight band around the wheel/cog, probably that band is worn or damaged?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 05, 2017 03:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound that the drive belt needs replacing.
If the projector slows down there would be insufficient air movement from the fan to keep things cool.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2017 08:12 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Kurt Steltenpohl solved the problem,hopefully he will update us on this? [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Kurt Steltenpohl
Junior

- posted January 07, 2017 09:17 AM      Profile for Kurt Steltenpohl   Email Kurt Steltenpohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your replies/advice. I will work on it this weekend and reply again.

Kurt Steltenpohl
Junior

- posted January 07, 2017 01:33 PM      Profile for Kurt Steltenpohl   Email Kurt Steltenpohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Here is a picture of the projector with back and side covers off. Drive belt is definitely worn. But the fan (to the right of the motor in the picture) is not driven by the belt. It is in-line with the motor and spins at same rpm as motor, even with worn belt taken off motor spindle.

A few facts...
1. Motor seeems to operate well, then decreases speed suddenly after about 5 minutes on. (smoke is visible)
2. Problem occurs regardless of lamp on or off
3. Problem occurs regardless of belt on or off spindle

Other observations. It appears to me that the belt's only purpose is to drive the reels and the film advance cogs. The heat shield device between the lamp and the film functions properly.

I have not tried to disassemble the fan housing or the motor itself.

Thank you for your help.

Steve Hartwell
Junior

- posted October 05, 2018 01:32 PM      Profile for Steve Hartwell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Hartwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be a motor problem. Maybe a weak spot in the copper wiring around the iron core is shorting and about to break. In which case it would possibly have to be re-wired. Or maybe simply the rotor contacts are dirty and could be easily cleaned with some emery paper.

--------------------
steve
www.homemovies.ca

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC