8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help needed from ALL forum members (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Help needed from ALL forum members
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del take photographs of all the splices send them to eBay. That should make the decision in your favour.

Terry, Hats Off absolute bargain at £260.00 hope it not on super 8 nitrate stock. One splice and it might go 📽💥💥💥💥💥 Super 8 nitrate stock introduced unsuccessful for home movies in early 1960s but was too explosive now sold in Ann Summers for S&M any queries ask Terry 👩‍❤️‍👩

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 01:30 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have hit a nerve there Mike. Ann Summers? S&M? Seems like you know more about that than ever I would. I am of an age where the only sex I have is oral. We just talk about it. [Cool]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry LOL I wish 😂 can't imagine how our international viewers will understand no doubt they will be googling Ann Summers a well known UK cine outfit to find out the details we may never see them on this forum again 😍

Can't wait for the first post about nitrate super 8. Give it time someone is bound to ask !

Mike

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 02:13 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, already done it, all 21 of them, just got to wait till next week now.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 02:24 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the bag Del just sit back and wait.

Mike

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 02:27 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del, before you bid on the film, by any chance did you ask him if there were any splices, and if so how many? If you did and he gave you an inaccurate answer, your case with Ebay is a slam dunk.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But even to say the film is in excellent condition, we'd all agree, assumes few or no splices. And not full of speckles, though with a good soak that might improve.

Re-recording in shortened intervals is inexplicably lame. Why would someone think that was necessary for getting the job done?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 17, 2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, of course you deserve a refund at minimum - I'd never stand for anything like that - Cheers, Shorty

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 07:03 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, "Excellent" and "Very Good Condition" are often misused on eBay for offerings which are anything but. The first projector I bought on eBay was said to be in very good, working condition. When I got it, there was no drive belt. Anyway, regarding your case, to my mind, the seller should have mentioned all those extra splices in their listing and so you were misled when you made your bid.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2017 07:54 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the seller never mentioned in his description that there were splices its not as described and you absolutely deserve a refund. As for acceptable splice count one lab splice and 2 where the head and tail leaders were reattached is what I would consider acceptable. But any splices should have been mentioned in the auction regardless.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2017 03:35 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
again, fantastic comments guys, really appreciate the contributions. I have heard back from the seller today, virtually blaming me for not asking him how many splices it had got, he also in a veiled fashion accused me of being unscrupulous, I'm just waiting for my day with ebay. I did say that in my view the reason he didn't list the amount of splices was due to the fact the print would be significantly devalued with that amount of splices, which I'm sure 100% of us would agree is true.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 18, 2017 04:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay typically know nothing at all regarding specialized goods such as films and other collectables.

By raising this subject here Del, it invites other collectors to give their opinions on what they themselves deem as acceptable for an amount of splices on an excellent print at 1200ft intervals.

Hopefully, you will be able to point the ebay arbitration team towards this thread via a link now if there are any problems whatsoever in receiving back the full amount you paid for the prints.

This confirms wholeheartedly, as expected, that nigh on everyone would agree that 20 splices plus over 2 x 1200ft reels of Super 8mm film is both excessive and unacceptable when describing as film as in excellent condition.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2017 04:51 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew, that was my idea, this is a great hobby and I'd like to think that we would when push comes to shove all look out for a fellow collectors back with honest personal opinions.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2017 11:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Shorty! The more you had to pay, the more you demand to have as great of condition as possible ...

... especially if the film was marketed on 4X600ft, which would mean that there were breaks in the film, and no one likes loosing footage!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compare Derann's Fantasia 2000, for example. Splice it together onto a 1200' reel (well, 1350', actually), and you have THREE splices. All at fadeouts where they can't be seen.

Del, thank you for not naming names YET but we will all appreciate details when the time is right so we can avoid this seller in the future.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 18, 2017 01:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dell, what a nerve, the guy is actually saying YOU should have asked how many splices [Eek!] Unreal, the whole point of a description is that the seller, (honest ones), actually do there best to say what is wrong. Films come on 4x600ft then the seller should have stated that the film had been re-cut and also warned that there are no less than ten splices. In most cases, including mine, it would have been taken off my watch list & indeed i would not be interested in bidding unless the start price was perhaps starting at either 49.99 or even 99.99, then, if it goes up to high prices fair enough but only if the abnormal amount of splices were mentioned.
Anyway Dell, lets hope ebay see sense and all ends OK.
[Wink]

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2017 03:59 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks again guys, all very valuable input, it's getting like a soap opera.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 19, 2017 07:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del
Some questions to you.
Do you intend to ask for your money back after a return, or do you intend to keep the print (splices and all) and ask for a part refund?
Have you projected the print? Are the splice positions very obvious if perhaps only a couple of frames at each join are missing?
If you do return the print, do you hope to replace it with a further print of the same title at a later date?

--------------------
Maurice

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2017 11:02 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, at this moment in time, as it stands the seller is refusing point blank to let me return the print as he is saying they are an acceptable amount of splices. Yes I would like my money back, yes I have projected the print and the splices are noticeable. Yes I would like to replace the print if possible.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2017 02:26 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are still covered by distance selling regulation Del, and can return an item that you are not satisfied with or not as described, even on ebay. I had a similar incident with some shoes, when the selling refused to accept them back even though ebay ruled in my favour, so they came back to me, I had a full refund and his shoes, bloody idiot. Good luck Del.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2017 04:32 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, fingers and toes crossed on this one.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del, as you are UK based, have you thought about asking Trading Standards at your local Council for advice? Nothing to lose.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2017 03:41 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Will, but as it's an overseas item they won't touch it, hopefully ebay will look at it and do the right thing.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2017 03:27 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right guys, a conclusion has occurred today, the seller offer me a 50% refund so I accepted it, I do know that I could have escalated the case to ebay today but the offer was fair, time to dig out the old CIR splicer and re do 21 splices.

A BIG BIG thank you to all who participated in this topic and all the very good advice and support that was offered, Del.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2017 04:52 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's something Del, maybe he'll think twice about his description on other sales so other collectors might not go through the same experience you went through, Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC