8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WARNING – FILMSHIELD IS A SCAM (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: WARNING – FILMSHIELD IS A SCAM
James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 12:04 PM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Over the years I`ve had numerous dealings with Eddie, and all I can say is he`s always been helpful & polite, a real gentleman

--------------------
James Wilson

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 10, 2017 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally awesome job Brad!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 04:05 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well James perhaps you caught him on a good day. You only have to look at the rhetoric of his post to see the nature of the man. Not only does he live in denial of his wrong doing, but he backs it up with a threat of violence. He admits the illegal process of his business but continues nevertheless. There is a Shakespearean quotation ' Hoisted by his own petard ' that describes his reply and why would a businessman who claims to be making such a derisive profit from his activity continue with it. Any reasonable person would simply sell off the stock of Filmguard in its original 32 oz containers knowing that the price he could ask will be significantly more than the purchase price, thereby ending any legal conflict.
Does not make any sense to those of us with any sense of reason.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 10, 2017 04:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark -
Yes the storage bottle was a big problem that had to be overcome many years ago, but keep in mind FilmGuard has been around in testing in an earlier form since the 80s when I first devised the chemical composition. Some of the original blends did cause issues with polyester, but that's why I did not release it until I had many years of "torture testing" with it. It was released to the public in 1999 and to date there has not been a single incident that was not later proven to be the result of a knock-off sold to the consumer as FilmGuard, or a re-bottling of the product. I still have the original test rolls from the 80s (as well as other test rolls along the way) which have been lovingly stored in a very hot Texas garage all of these years and they are still in excellent condition despite the torture of the heated storage conditions. That puts those at 30 years old.

Maurice -
As noted in an earlier post, due to various requests for the first time ever we will be offering 16oz bottles. These should be available in the next 2-3 months.

Terry -
Obviously anyone with a sealed box is welcome to sell it. A box with a broken seal however shouldn't be trusted, and obviously anything re-bottled should absolutely not be trusted.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad
As you can probably recognise from my posts I am absolutely 100% with you in your defence of your product. As previously stated I avoid Edwards site like the plague so purchasing Filmguard from him is not an option. In any case I am prevented from any purchase from his site - and he from mine. If I make a purchase of Filmguard it will be from Jackroe and no one else. I just hope that other members and cine enthusiasts take the same line after following this thread.

John Fields Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 05:48 PM      Profile for John Fields Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He has taken it off Ebay.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 10, 2017 06:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He has taken it off Ebay.
But continues his grumpiness in Facebook... [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2017 06:37 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad. FilmGuard only comes in 32 US fluid ounce bottles which equates to about 946 millilitres as I understand it. Although a 16 ounce bottle is being considered, it would still be a massive quantity to purchase for those with small standard and super 8mm film collections. Would it be an idea to licence authorised stockists to re-package the product into smaller glass bottles strictly in accordance with your instructions?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 10, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I only use Super 8mm Will and I have purchased 4 large bottles of FilmGuard in the last 7 years.

It's far from impossible to use a bottle of this substance over the years despite the claims.

If you like to view your films free from base scratches and clean as a whistle, it does diminish over the years.

Upon returning to the hobby, i too was advised "One bottle lasts a lifetime" but sadly, as the collection grows, this is nothing of the sorts, even using it very sparingly if you watch full length features at least a few times a week.

If you have a sizeable collection, I personally would advise nothing less than a 32oz bottle.
You will use it all..eventually, I can assure you! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 08:53 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not concerned with film cleaner,as have never bought any (Im just very careful with my prints, I know, they need more than just gentle hands and projectors) and especially now, its all too confusing. Yes I see both sides of the argument, and yes its a copyrighted product, so opps sorry I wont do it again, but basically lets have film cleaner in an appropriate small bottle, come on am sure those who want that size will buy from an official outlet.
Anyhow I just wanted to say that I have always bought projector belts from ES Photographic and have always been 100% happy with the product and service, and will continue to use this seller. Just keeping the balance proportionate. Cheers to all.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 11, 2017 01:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, if anyone else re-bottles the product, it is a liability as we cannot control everything for certain. As such that simply will never be permitted. Unless a collector only has a half dozen reels of film, buying a 16oz bottle is not going to be that much.

Also the smaller the bottle, the more labor intensive the process is AND the packaging costs are still the same. In other words a bottle 25% of the normal size will not carry a price that is 75% cheaper. Because of this there comes a point to where if the bottle is much smaller than 16oz, it likely won't have enough of a savings to ever sell. (No I haven't done the actual breakdown, but the math of this is still there.)

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 03:10 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a thought, could Brad nominate a UK member on this site as the official re seller of Film Guard BUT only to 8mm forum members with say at least 100 posts (to stop one offs joining just to get the cleaner) Brad sells the 32oz bottles to the nominated reseller, who passes on the appoved 250ml bottles (filmguard sealed) at just over cost (so the reseller is not out of pocket but is not making off of Filmguard) I know it means someone putting free time in, but it means Brads copyright is safe and we all get a cleaner we can trust etc etc etc

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 04:39 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. I accept that if you want to maintain the integrity of FilmGuard then you can't allow a third party to be involved. It could be contaminated or even adulterated. The viability of any product depends on production costs and demand and, of course, there wouldn't be much interest in smaller quantities if the price had to be only a little less than that of a full size bottle. Looks like a 16oz bottle then and acquiring more films.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2017 02:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if anyone else has been targeted but a small minded person - either Eddie or a sympathiser - has been sending me petty emails criticising my posts re the scam. They have obviously gone to the trouble of finding my email address to do this and do not even have the backbone to use their own name. They use the the alias Wilfred Leakey. Childish behaviour!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 14, 2017 02:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can assure you it's not me.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 14, 2017 02:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes Wilfred Leakey!

Now there is a blast from the past! [Big Grin]

I remember having quite an in depth conversation with this particular chap regarding one of my posted video's over on Vimeo.

It went on for a while then he stopped commenting, then all remarks were suddenly removed of his, presumably by him, leaving only my own replies???

A very strange "out of body" experience if ever there were one! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
I was absolutely certain that it was not you. I know you well enough to know that you would never make comments of that nature. Your posts are always informative and helpful- never negative or critical.
Andrew
This guy 'Wilfred' is obviously a reader of the Forum or an Eddie sympathiser. Did you get emails from him? And if so how did he get your email address.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 14, 2017 08:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No Terry, no e mails, just comments on Vimeo.

Only derogatory comments, then for them all to be removed?

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2017 06:53 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to dip my oar in the water regarding this Filmguard
debacle.

As regards the bottling of this product.
Why not just use good old glass to hold it in.

In view of the environmental problems that most plastics are causing to planet earth and her creatures it makes sense to use glass.

Yes glass is heavier and more fragile but at least the bottles can be recycled after use unlike most plastics.

I transferred my own Filmguard into a tightly sealed glass bottle years ago and its still fine.

Empty IRN BRU bottles are just fine as this product is made in Scotland from girders. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 05:58 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trust that you remove the IRN-BRU labels first. Not sure what effect a good swig of FilmGuard would have on you!

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 03:54 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha ! Yes Will both products are quite similar in colour.

Yes I do remove the labels and re-label what the bottle contents are.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 11, 2018 05:09 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi is there any news on smaller Bottles at all ( please Brad ).

Or plans to supply anyone to do that affordably in the UK please.

Be good in an outlet like that could be arranged here.

Its cracking stuff, but the large bottles cost now is beyond most of us UK hard up types.

Best Mark. In hope.

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2018 05:21 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also very interested

Thank You very much in advance

Chuck Carson
Junior

- posted September 04, 2019 01:59 PM      Profile for Chuck Carson   Email Chuck Carson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a 16oz size of FilmGuard is available on Amazon (US) from Film-Tech Cinema Systems -- is this the real stuff?

--------------------
Chuck

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 04, 2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B077S5ZVNP/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC