8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Using xenon bulb is actually more ecoomical than halogen, true? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Using xenon bulb is actually more ecoomical than halogen, true?
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 02:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the chance to go to the post office yesterday Winbert so I was too quick for a picture of the Goko cover for you - perhaps Paul will post a picture when it arrives with him.

I can describe it though - semi transparent / clear plastic in colour and tight fitting - rather like like an oversized condom for cine equipment use.

Andrew - I would allow three minutes for maximum light output to be reached and as Maurice says definitely no re-igniting a warm lamp.

One thing to watch out for in the case of modifying an Elmo or magnetic sound projector - I originally bought the Phillips PSU used on Maurice's 16mm Bell & Howell and Bill came to the conclusion it was not suitable as it produced huge amounts of interference picked up audibly by the Elmo amplifier. Whether this is an Elmo amp trait or from the magnetic head side of the audio system I don't now, but once Bill replaced the Philips for the usual brand of PSU he uses the problem was fixed.

The difference between using the Xenpow HID150 on Super 8 and 16mm is not what you may think - the light source is the same in both cases and the lamp positioned to allow for the beam to hit the full 16mm frame but whichever way it is calculated the light doesn't get any brighter or darker due to the frame size. Sadly this lamp wont illuminate a full 35mm frame so if and when I get the chance to modify the Spectra I will try a non reflector HID lamp like Paul's mounted in the original projector reflector.

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 03:56 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may just get to the Blackpool event this year for the first time, and I will bring along the modified gs with hid lamp, this is my "Heath Robinsons" version of Bill's conversion. Not as bright, but the same principle, and all you will need is an old reflector, can be used with any of the super 8 machines, not sure it would be bright enough for the 16mm version though, but I've not tried it, its a maybe....

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 10:41 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This person added a 150watt HID automobile conversion to his projector, it appears plenty bright. He took a standard projector quartz lamp and drilled out the center leaving the reflector.

https://www.facebook.com/100004808084840/videos/693737880796475/

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like such a conversion on my GS1200 also, but I do not see myself shipping my GS1200 to the UK by post.

Are there otrhers who do this conversion in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany, so I can drive to there?

I could go on vacation to the UK if it's a nice place for vacation for me and my wife, and if this HID conversion doesn't take too long, hahaha.

On the other hand,...
If this conversion can be done on a ESC lamp for the GS1200, we are there.

https://www.facebook.com/100004808084840/videos/693737880796475/

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 01:54 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done Matthieu as I have done this. You need to position the lamp exactly where the original ESC lamp was, its a trial and error thing, but the results are good enough for house hold use, or an equivalent large hall, and the colour is better than the original esc lamp, and nearly as bright lux wise as the beaulieu, and that's with the 3 blade standard shutter, so a two blade maybe on par. You can use the same cooling fan as this does not get much hotter than the original lamp, the tricky bit is converting the reflector because its glass, I could do this for you, you will need a blown ESC lamp for the conversion....

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the offer.
This way I do not have to convert anything in the projector and only place the converted lamp?

I just ordered 4 ESC lamps, so I can send 1 to you as soon as they arrived from the US.
I rather not wait for the lamp to die hahaha.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC