8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning film for telecine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning film for telecine
Billy Blair
Junior

- posted January 10, 2018 09:35 AM      Profile for Billy Blair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I realise this has been asked many times but alot of the threads are pretty old now.

First off, FilmGuard and FilmRenew are too expensive so I'm asking if the following are ok to use to clean:

- Isopropyl Alcohol (99%) or
- Liquid Paraffin (I assume this is more likely used for wetgate?)

Do I clean the 8mm/super 8/9.5mm using a standing spools with a lint-free cloth or as the film is being taken up in the projector a la wetgate?

This is not for projection by the way but Ive made a telecine (using a cannibalised projector) to capture for bluray.

Cheers for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 10:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billy
I would suggest the I.P.A.
Use it sparingly with a clean cloth, let it evaporate as you go.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 10:08 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak produced a list of suitable film cleaning solvents some of which are now banned. One listed was
"ISOPROPANOL
(2-propanol, secondary propyl alcohol,
dimethyl carbinol, petrohol) 53 82 Good $ H Flammable. Colorless. Low odor.
Gathers water." The numbers indicate the flash point in degrees F and the boiling point in degrees C. Although it cleans, you would normally need something to lubricate and preserve the film which is why FilmGuard is popular.

Billy Blair
Junior

- posted January 10, 2018 02:01 PM      Profile for Billy Blair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to add if PEC-12 is any good for cleaning/lubricate?

https://www.cameraclean.co.uk/

Look for PEC-12 59ml product. (I cant paste the link directly as it has parenthesis in it)

@Maurice: Is cleaning it via spools and cloth rather than wetgate recommended for IPA?

Is Liquid Paraffin recommended for wetgate?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 02:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billy
PEC 12 seems to be a new product, and I, for one, had never heard of it.
Also, can't help with Wet-Gate use.
Of the three, my only knowledge is cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol.
It will clean dirt and sticky residue from film but it would not lubricate, in fact, it is said that it possibly dries out a film.
This is why it should be used sparingly, and on a rewind, not a projector.
But, do you really need to clean the film?

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Billy,
If you want a cheap cleaner then WD40,it's been used for years to clean films by many collectors,won't damage the film and will run so much smoother through the machine,does the same job as some of the cleaners mentioned,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Billy Blair
Junior

- posted January 10, 2018 03:47 PM      Profile for Billy Blair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Maurice: The film could do with a clean, has dust and hairs on it.

@Mark: I did consider WD40, would that be with cloth and rewind spools instead of wetgate? Wouldnt it leave streaks?

I heard liquid paraffin was good for getting rid of vertical scratches as it closely matches refraction of the film so was going to use that for wetgate.

[ January 11, 2018, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Billy Blair ]

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 04:46 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the use of Pec Pads for cleaning mentioned on US sites. They're very soft, lint-free wipes and, when used with the PEC-12 fluid, are said to be ideal for cleaning film. A 946 ml supply is offered on the site you mentioned, Billy, at £109.99. That quantity equates to 32 US fluid ounces, I think, which is the same quantity as FilmGuard is supplied at. I'm not sure how that price for PEC-12 compares to FilmGuard these days.

Billy Blair
Junior

- posted January 10, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for Billy Blair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Will: I was looking at getting the 59ml bottle as I don't need much. Its only £11.50. FilmGuard tends to be about £40 to 50 seeing as they don't seem to sell at smaller sizes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 18, 2018 04:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 was shown by Kodak to leech the color dyes out of a print. It may appear to work "now" but you are causing damage to your film over time.

Filmguard is available in 32oz and now 16oz containers as of a couple weeks ago.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only use Filmguard,initially I read about it and ordered a good sized bottle from the USA and it's only half used and I've had it for maybe 6 - 8 years.
Being in New Zealand we don't have the places to buy film cleaners as far as I know.
So I've never tried other types but am 100% happy with Filmguard [Smile]
And I use it on my Standard 8mm silent and sound , Super 8mm , 9.5mm and 16mm [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2018 10:26 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had some Filmguard for about 6 or 7 years.It has now developed a brownish mark/sediment on the bottle, is it still safe to use?

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2018 10:56 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Billy,

Give Cresclean a try,

--------------------
James Wilson

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 21, 2018 03:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, just shake the bottle up before you use it and discard that last ounce.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC