8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Steve Osborne (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Steve Osborne
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 23, 2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years many members of this forum have sung the praises of Steve Osborne of The Reel Image . We all know him as a kind, friendly, and scrupulously honest businessman, and a true friend of film collectors everywhere. The term 'bad deal' does not exist when dealing with Steve, he unfailing supplies 100% customer satisfaction, and more often than not 150%.
So here is my latest example of Steve's thoughtful and kind support of his customers. Last week I posted on this forum that I was looking for the box cover graphic of the WDHM print of The Band Concert. Thomas Knappstein kindly sent me a jpg file that I was going to use to dress up the very tatty box in my possession of this film. Fast forward to todays US postal delivery. There in my mail box is a package from Steve containing a very nice box of The Band Concert! [Smile] Steve had apparently read my forum post and thrown this in the mail.
Well thanks so much to Steve once again!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 23, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

Steve O. is kind of our "silent member": he has done similar things for me many times.

Some years ago he replied to a couple of my own Forum posts by postcard! It was a nice surprise among the bills and the junk mail.

I haven't missed very many Cineseas (Yes: "CineSea" has a plural!) I did miss CineSea 5, the one where Steve Osborne was the special guest.

-I've always regretted that!

(My son won the Science Fair that year, and the county-wide Science Fair was held where I work that weekend: I couldn't go to Wildwood and expect much of a Father's Day too! -As ye sow, so shall ye reap!)

I really wish he'd attend another one!

(That's right, Steve! We're talking about YOU!)

[ July 23, 2018, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 23, 2018 04:07 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could talk for hours about this gentleman. His kindness to the collector, patience for endless and repeated questions, service/delivery and knowledge. Known him for years, he's a true brother - God Bless you - Shorty

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 23, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is a wonderful person whose kindness and faith in others has occasionally been taken advantage of. Shipping a print out after accepting partial payment and then never seeing the balance paid off has unfortunately happened more than once. If those involved should happen upon this thread, it really would be in their best interests to settle up.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 05:21 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Theses so much Good in Steve to say, That he is well known for his devoted Customer service and being a friend It would take many comments of the good person he is that would tie up this forum for many hours
Theses Nothing Bad about him
Thank you Steve for being there for all of us
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 06:56 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is a great guy and great friend. I am fortunate to live close (3 hours away) so I attend his annual film shows and they are always a blast! Always has great deals on films and equipment. I am always happy to see a package from The Reel Image on my front porch! [Smile]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 07:45 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is a true gentleman. I have had the privilege of meeting with him on two or three occasions in Ohio. Really enjoy his print magazine.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a bad dealing with steve he’s a gentleman and a scholar. He even reminded me that I needed to pay for a film I had bought from him.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2018 11:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All that has been stated about one Steve Osbourne is absolutely true and accurate! Steve is a truly decent fellow. I'm sad to hear that some folks have NOT been as decent to him at times. [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 03:36 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is an amazing person
Its was a reel treat to meet him (with David Baker) at his home and watch movies in his theater.Such a great guy who loves the hobby and passes the love onto others.Makes everyone feel special. I always look forward to receiving films and his mailings.

PS his pulled pork was delicious

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 01:14 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Steve Osborne. Even when misspelled,
We recognize and appreciate all your efforts and help and contributions that keep our eyes wide open...
I am A Hitchcock fan and Steve has really been amazing getting these prints for me.
More to come too!

[ August 06, 2018, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 07:27 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recognition for Steve has been long overdo on this forum !
Probably THE most charitable collector in our field , Steve believes in the preservation of the film hobby and strives to keep it alive . Just take a look at a copy of his REEL IMAGE magazine and you'll see why . Go to : thereelimage.jimdo.com , get on his mailing list !
Thanks to him , my Super 8mm film collection has grown by 100% , just in the past year .
Currently my company ( Ohio Film Collector Exchange ) is working with Steve on a couple of film projects and coordinating with him for a special Fall out - door film presentation this September .
You can check back on this Forum OR Steve's website mentioned above , when it's time to announce it . HANG IN THERE FILM FANS !
Thanks to all of you Forum members that have taken the time to show appreciation to a true " film preservationist " , one that is so needed in this digital age .

--------------------
Dave

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll chime in [Smile] We are very fortunate to have Steve and his Daughter Natalie doing what they do for the hobby...
David, I have to say that Steve has been recognized for his efforts many, many times over the years on this forum, not just now [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 08:44 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd chime to applaud Steve's wonderful sense of humor. His website is full of the greatest puns and hilarious animations. Plus, while never expected, it's always a delight to find a little extra surprise in his orders! And lastly, I share his adoration for Peter O'Toole!

It's sad that some people take advantage- name another vendor - in ANY hobby - that doesn't demand payment upfront!

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can echo all the sentiments regarding Steve Osborne. If anyone one person was to be picked as the true voice of this hobby, it would be him.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agree with all comments too, and thanks for starting the thread, Paul. Amazing generosity, kindness and trust from Steve. He's found me films that I never thought I'd come by, and he always does something beyond the call every time I deal with him.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 08:58 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Placed an order for a bottle of FILMGUARD for my fellow collector here.

-

Although quite pricey with the shipping. But the item arrived within LESS THAN A WEEK! A really insanely fast shipping [Big Grin] considering it had to travel half the globe to its destination. Moreover,the item came with some freebies included! Extremely satisfied with this purchase [Cool]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 15, 2018 01:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the item arrived within LESS THAN A WEEK!
I was told that liquid cannot be sent via air mail now...so how can you get that? [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 09:16 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I've also got Filmguard from Steve shop, I'm waiting for the package.
Perhaps, it's a cleaner with particular (more safer) mixture that can be sent despite the more restrictive laws of today.
Go easy, there's no problem with Steve shop! [Smile]
I remember that a cleaner in Europe could no longer be shipped beyond the country of residence, but I don't remember what it was.

Nantawat, it's a large bottle? I bought 16 oz version.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 12:38 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve sent FilmGuard to me in the UK. Only took about a week.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 08:22 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,it's the 16oz size. [Big Grin]

I'd love to order from the official Film Tech's Amazon store,but since it's undeliverable to my region while Steve somehow managed to ship this overseas. So this is no-brainer for overseas collectors,of course. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 04:21 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, 16oz, I thought 32. It looks big in picture!

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2018 11:55 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Praise for Steve again coming through with a nice 1 inch lens for my Elmo 12000 HD projector. Steve is such a blessing. It sad to hear people not paying him. If they know whats good they should settle up with him. What goes around comes around

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2018 01:54 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has to do with the kind of chemicals.
Film Renew can not, Filmguard can.

And yes, only had my fist order and chat with him , and Steve was very friendly indeed.

[ September 26, 2018, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 26, 2018 07:01 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one is close to Steve Osborne, absolute gem and if all was like him, there would be no more war ;-)

If I had ten thumbs, they all would be up for Osborne.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC