8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Standard 8 reel on Super 8 machine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standard 8 reel on Super 8 machine
Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question. It seems like you can get an adapter to fit a Super 8 reel on a Standard 8 projector feed, but is there one for the other way around.

I realized some of the Standard 8 reels that I got over the weekend are too small to fit on the projector feed. Is there an adapter for the feed arm, or do I just need to purchase a Super 8 reel and transfer the film to that?

Thanks!

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2018 07:01 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen an adapter like that.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg,

If you have a Standard-8 reel it probably has standard 8 film on it. The sprocket holes are different sizes between the two standards and your ST-600 will not be able to deal with it.

Enjoy the machine! I'm a particularly big fan of the Elmo ST's: as a matter of fact I used one of mine upstairs at the Ocean Holiday this weekend. (White refrigerator doors in all OHMI rooms: useful emergency screens!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2018 07:16 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve!

I have a Standard 8 Bell and Howell that I brought with me over the weekend to diagnose. It looks like it needs a belt. Worse case scenario I can use that for the Standard 8 films, once I fully diagnose and repair that one. From what I watched on the Elmo so far, I've really enjoyed.

-Greg

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2018 02:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg
As mentioned by Steve, is your Elmo only for Super 8? Do you have a Super 8 film on a Regular 8 spool?

--------------------
Maurice

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No,it is physically impossible to adapt a regular 8mm reel to fit a super 8 spindle. Even if someone did make an adapter of some kind your film would feed into the projector at a slight angle instead of straight in because it would have to extend beyond the super 8 spindle and then taper into the smaller standard 8 spindle. And with the film not feeding in straight and if the film had a torn sprocket hole it would catch and break the film while going into the projector guide! If you were desperate you could drill a hole through a standard 8 reel to the required size of the super 8 spindle but would probably have to also elongate the three slots as well. But if you do that make sure you transfer the film to another reel before attempting that!

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 08:46 AM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I thought the Elmo could play both regular and Super 8 film. That was an incorrect assumption. I do have a Bell & Howell that is a silent projector with a switch for both Super and Regular 8. Once I fix that, I will be using that to watch the Regular 8 stuff. Just got the Elmo yesterday. I've been collecting only 16mm up until this point.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 15, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, all the dual projectors have a feeding arm that allows you to put a standard 8 spool. There is an adaptator for super 8 ones. However the take up spool arm is always (or maybe almost always ?) designed for the super 8 spools.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 15, 2018 10:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the adapter to which Dominique refers:-
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Movie-Reel-Adapter-Regular/dp/B0714MLZTV

--------------------
Maurice

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2018 03:33 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Van Eck services in The Netherlands fabricates many parts for Elmo and Eumig and they recently have in their website and standard 8mm sleeve that slips over a super 8 spindle. I've bought many parts from them over the past two years. The main problem with both machines is the main control knob that strips. There knob is made of a more durable plastic.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 21, 2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps John would be kind enough to provide a link to his mentioned sleeve.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2018 05:14 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feed spindle on my Eumig Mark 501 was designed to take both standard and super 8 reels. Other Eumigs I've had needed adaptors.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2018 06:25 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John says the right one.
Here are some examples on the site of the good Van Eck (but make better search, maybe I missed some versions):
https://shop.van-eck.net/film-projector-parts/p-1a/?_globalsearch=Supply%20reel%20holder%20
With a small substitution it's possible to make the mandrels only for Super 8 in universal, for both formats.
Excellent invention!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super 8/Regular 8 components referred to in Luigi's posting appear not to be adapters as such, but replacements for the projector's original feed spindle.
But. I could be wrong.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2018 02:09 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig Mk 501 did come with an adapter but did not need it and can be used without as it has large vanes that fit into both sorts of spool. The adapter was just a grey sleeve with slots on it.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Maurice, they replace the spindle, so I was talking about a "substitution". Are useful because make both formats, not only Normal 8.
I don't know if there are real adapters (on the Van Eck website I did not find any), but I think it's impossible, as mentioned, to have a Super 8 ---> Normal 8 adapter without the axis moving forward by a centimeter.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2018 02:33 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The industry seeked to prevent that Regular-Eight film was fed into Super-8 projectors and therefore made half-inch diameter spindles on the latter. Regular-Eight projector reel spindles are of 5/16" diameter.

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2019 02:38 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

We are working on the issue that you can not mix super8 and regular8 reels on most projectors.
We encounter this issue a lot with the films scanners we have. Customers use all kinds of reels to put the films on. And in many cases this require that we need to put the film on reels which fit on the filmscanner before we can digitize these.

Currently we supply for many projectors these reel holders:

https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0027.html?_globalsearch=pp-0027

These holders can hold most super8 and regular8 reels.

However we encountered that for some metal reels with on one side a round hole, these reels will not fit on this holder.

That's why we are currently testing a new design for the reel holders which can fit all 8mm reels. Also audio reels, metal reels, super8 reels, etc.
The concept is based upon our earlier launched film rewinders: https://shop.van-eck.net/RW-0062.html?_globalsearch=film%20rewinder

-

You can find more pictures at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqpvnNHKHJmqKRxy9

We are testing these currently on our film scanners. Also i appreciate any feedback from this community!

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC