8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 900 Series Worm Gear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 900 Series Worm Gear
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 29, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Eumig S938 Stereo is getting noisy and I think it is a cracked worm gear on the main drive shaft. I have ordered a new one from Edwin Van Eck. Has anyone here ever replaced one of these, and if so how did it work out?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 30, 2018 04:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
If you haven't got any repair manuals for the 938 you can get them from Oldtimer Cameras.

https://www.camera-manual.com/model.php?modelid=3664

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 30, 2018 04:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Paul. Think that I still have a dead 940 in the loft so although you have ordered the part I will have a dig next time I venture up to the dead zone.

Its some time since I looked in the back of a 938 but I seem to remember it is a bit of a tricky fit although never had any problems with that part myself.

Paul had another thought.
My 940 got noisy all it needed was a new drive belt.
You can tell if this is the problem by removing the front cover and watch the jockey wheels that rest on the belt. If these are bumping about you need a new belt my friend. It will get worse as the Eumig warms up or at least that's what mine did back then. Do hope its just that as it is a simple fix.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2018 06:07 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee - Good to see you back on the forum after a little break (!). I have - and love - my 940 but I know they are seen as something of a ticking bomb, with that unreplaceable processor. Is that what happened to your one in the loft?

Paul - good luck with the replacement worm gear. I've seen that Edwin has reprinted and offered this part, but having had a few of the 900 series projectors. that's one part I've never known to fail and yours is the first one I've heard of.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 30, 2018 01:08 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John nice to hear from you.
Sold my 940s a bit ago as the eumigs were secretly breeding and expanding. Fab projector but that microprocessor is a nuisance.Look after your 940 youay be lucky.

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2019 01:28 PM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

We have a video showing how to replace the worm gear on the Eumg 9-series projectors:

See the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGUY2mnSRA

We have a youtube channel (Van Eck Video Services) with many of these films:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamed48/videos?view=0&sort=dd&flow=grid

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 21, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Edwin,
I have in fact already purchased one of your Eumig 900 series worm gears and installed it successfully. The projector now runs very quietly. Your video was a huge help and I doubt that I would have attempted the repair without first seeing how it was done on YouTube. You can find my review in the technical section of this forum:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012839

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2019 03:22 PM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Great, yes I saw the review.

Based on that review we have used your feedback to make the worm gear even better and improved that part!

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC