8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » wolverine movie maker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wolverine movie maker
Mary McMorrow
Junior

- posted March 05, 2019 01:20 PM      Profile for Mary McMorrow   Email Mary McMorrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what program do you use to slow down the 8mm movies that are copied?

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 07:10 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although quite a steep learning curve,but I prefer VirtualDub.

VirtualDub

Not only frame rate conversion,but also LOTS of useful filters to enhance the output. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Werner Ruotsalainen
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2019 11:30 PM      Profile for Werner Ruotsalainen   Email Werner Ruotsalainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
what program do you use to slow down the 8mm movies that are copied?

the free ffmpeg via scripting. A (bash) script converting all *.*4 files in the current direcory and putting the 18 fps versions in the _18 subdir:

#bash
rm tmp.avc
mkdir _18
for f in *.??4
do
ffmpeg -y -i "$f" -c copy -f h264 tmp.avc
ffmpeg -y -r 18 -i tmp.avc -c copy "_18/$f"
done
rm tmp.avc

That is, just copy your mp4 files into a dir and run the above script. I'll be VERY fast and losless.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2019 09:13 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion the best tool to use has two valuable functions for Wolverine users.

My MP4BOX GUI

This will join broken scan segments together, very handy to join up scans that haven't been completed in one run.

Then use it to change the framerate to anything you like

It will do this without any re encoding.

It is free for windows and available here
My MP4

Use the join tab to add broken scan segments to join the scan together.

This is really handy as I no longer have to worry about stopping scans part way through.

I can go shopping and stop the Wolverine part way through a 400ft reel, knowing I can easily join segments back together

Not many Wolverine scans of mine end up in a single video file, bad edits or needing to re frame part way through a reel, can end up with very many video clips of one reel.

Using MY MP4 to join broken reels together is a real bonus.

To change framerate, use the DEMUX tab, add a file and hit demux. Once done:

Use the MUX tab, add the file created by the DEMUX which will be in the same folder as the original video file.

In the bottom of the window, choose the framerate you want, from the drop down menu, I always use 15 fps even though that is not quite the right framerate, it works for me, it gives me a few more seconds of screen time for those 50ft reels.

Hit MUX and let it do its work.
quick, free, no re encoding.
Easy as fish and chips.

If you need any further help, just ask here.

If you want custom frame rate, while in the MUX tab, choose from the VIEW menu at the top, Edit command line.

When you hit MUX a text box will open and along the command line where is says fps= just type in your own framerate and hit 'copy and run'

A progress bar at the bottom of the program window will indicate each stage as it happens.

I could not live without this software, once done I usually delete the .h264 DEMUX file created by the program, unless I am likely to want to do a different framerate conversion for some reason.

With respect to the other two posts, VirtualDub and FFMPEG are amazing to use, I love both of those programs for very specific tasks, but for Wolverine jobs, MY MP4BOX GUI kicks them both in to a cocked hat.

The learning curve is steep and not user friendly for either of the two programs mentioned above.

VirtualDub does not, by default, accept mp4 video, you need a particular version.

Installing FFMPEG is not for the faint of heart, command line interface can be very confusing for a novice.

MY MP4 will join segements back together and frame change your scans with a few mouse clicks.

[ March 06, 2019, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC