8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Process to Restore color to faded prints (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Process to Restore color to faded prints
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2019 11:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted add one last comment, just in case this series of posts is ending ...

I have always found Alberto to be a man of his word and a man of integrity. If I didn't think so, I certainly would't be sending these two features off to him. Therefore, I'm giving him the well earned benefit of the doubt and look forward to what I will recieve from him in the next couple months.

... and if it works as well as I think it will, I have the only other 5 features that have any fade, ready to mail to him in the future. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted June 04, 2019 10:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Alberto, I think we simply have a minor language barrier here.

My comment was "hand cleaning is definitely not acceptable" in reference to that entire paragraph on getting the film flawlessly clean before treatment.

Please let me clarify my statement "hand cleaning of the film is definitely not acceptable, because a professional cleaning with an ultrasonic perc-based machine is needed to ensure the dirt does not become permanently embedded into the emulsion of the film". I hope that clears up my intent on the statement.

quote:
Regarding the washing of the film before the treatment, it is always done with great care
The washing I am referring to is done AFTER treatment. This is absolutely mandatory for a redevelopment process or you will be guaranteeing VS will visit these acetate prints sooner.

Regardless, for people without lab experience things MUST be simplified, which is exactly what I did when I pointed out you are performing a redevelopment of the film. Nowhere did I say you did not refine it to achieve better results, and if your variation on that works on Eastman, then clearly you have accomplished that and I applaud you.

However at the end of the day if you hide behind not letting people know the very most base aspect of the process, it reads as yet another one of these "miracle" rejuvenation processes that have been proven over many decades as death to film (aka "snake oil"). This is why it is important you explain what it is you are doing with the film, but to explain it in a trivialized form so people can generally follow it AND to protect the unique secrets to your variation on the process.

As someone who has spent an ungodly amount of money on film restoration processes, believe me now that I see the basics of what you are doing, I am on your side. Don't read things too defensively there. [Wink]

I do have one final recommendation though. I also would recommend you NOT continue to try and keep all discussions via private email. If you want your business to flourish, people should ask their questions on an open forum like this. It will also save you quite a bit of time in answering the same questions over and over, and will help promote your business too.

Alberto Carlo Vangelisti
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2019 01:03 PM      Profile for Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Email Alberto Carlo Vangelisti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Brad,

I thank you again,for your positive considerations and ... probably ... yes, there was certainly some misunderstanding at the level of translation, of which I apologize.
... speaking of washing, it takes place both before, with a dedicated professional machine, and during the treatment, as you wish .... However, I think I have well explained the treatment I offer, and, very importantly, at a cost reasonable. So I don't think it is prohibitive, even for those who are interested, to do, for example, to start a test and then decide to continue. I honestly don't think there is another treatment similar to the one I offer ... and, yes, I can also understand that in the past there have been people who have been disappointed by other procedures, but this does not mean that there are no other situations that, on the contrary, are positive. I have never proposed my treatment as a miracle and I believe that, without having to speak a complex laboratory language, but, on the contrary, having simply described what it is about, nothing remains but to make the results speak ... and this is much better than imagining, thinking to have understood, whether it is a simple "painting" of the film, or supposing a good old laboratory trick that allows to recover a minimum percentage of the color etc. Simply this is a service that was not there before, I believe I have well explained what it is, not a miracle, as you can also find written on the blog of Ignacio Benedeti, which is reported at the beginning of this discussion, but a treatment that allows our beloved movies to return to being certainly more enjoyable and projectable. Movies that right now are certainly no longer showable ... I think this is only a positive fact for collectors. Obviously I can't reveal formulas and recipes, and I think this is understandable, as you also confirm. I don't think there's anything else to add here on the forum, not because I don't consider the forum to be a proper place, but simply because what was to be written has already been written. This is why I invited those who are really interested in writing to me directly ... what, this, is already happening.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 05, 2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if Alberto's treatment would bring new life to all my faded 400 ft Fox and MGM digest's.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted June 05, 2019 09:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Alberto, no worries on the language barrier. It will happen from time to time and your English is plenty good enough.

I think you are making a mistake in not discussing things here. For someone offering a service to collectors, you should be answering questions here instead of in private emails.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2019 10:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad ...

I sent you an e-mail, but i have not received a reply. Did you get it? I also tried that link to send you a message, but it wouldn't link over.

You're welcome to reply by my e-mail

CXOSIR1@outlook.com

--------------------

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2019 06:39 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I’d chip in and say I’ve used Alberto’s service and I’m very happy with the results. It actually works and it’s saved a couple of my prints.
Amazed he’s developed this process. The films arrived clean and without any marks or stains.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 05, 2019 11:13 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad to hear this!

Could you perchance, please put up either some screenshots from the treated films or, even better, put up a youtube video showing the print being screened?

We'd all certainly appreciate it! [Smile]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd watch that video (that is on the very first post in this link, within that link, scroll down to the bottom of that links page, shortly before the comments section) ...

... and, while you do see a LOT of red speckling, I don't think that the video really shows off the color restoration to the print, as you see the video camera "adjusting" back and forth when you see the shot of the night sky. I'm betting that the color actually looks better, because the color, as the video shows it, looks like a "cine-color" reproduction of color, or the early "two strip" technicolor, that is, only two of the color spectrums ...

So, I ask again, if someone else has had this service done, if you do some video to put up on youtube, could you please make sure that the video represents the restored color?

I know personally how hard this can be when you shoot film with a video camera, as nearly anything that I shoot ends up looks like a red mess, even though the film is low fade with good color. [Frown]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC