8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Attn Leon Norris or anybody else TRV Problem (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Attn Leon Norris or anybody else TRV Problem
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2019 10:50 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon, the motor hums very quietly no difference in sound variation, keep in mind this was rebuilt earlier this year.

Phil, not seeing what you described as a half moon blade here is behind the transformer if you see it please open it up in paint circle it and repost it or email me. Someone else told me to check the gears bbehind there too all look good.
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see 電o I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2019 11:52 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Jim , there's no (abvious) sensor observed in this area.

-Could you report how many wires are coming to Main Motor (and wires colors too) ?

-Concerning the small rocker arm (Which is swingging in Video Nr3), is this rocker arm linked to an electrical device ?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2019 07:27 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil the "swinging arm" is not linked to anything electrical its just attached to a small spring that gives it flexibility.

--------------------
jim schrader

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 02:00 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, according to Van Eck description, this machine is showing an "electronically governed DC magnetic motor".

We know now that there is no sensor on the claw shaft.
Logically, you could find something fitted at the end of the motor :

- an Infra red sensor (with a coding wheel)
or
- a Tacho generator
(In any cases , logically you could also find 4 wires coming to the motor.)

Did you replace motor belt ?

If yes, did you install a genuine belt ?
If yes, is it a reinforced micro "V" belt (like elmo GS1200) ?

Here is Van Eck explanations concerning "GS1200" typical Belt grade :

"New belt, replacing your broken or stretched belt:
The motor belt is a quality belt for Elmo GS-1200 (all versions). Brand product of current production. Given specifically for Elmo GS-1200 projectors from us in order, highest durability. Belt of rugged polyurethane with embedded special fiberglass-tension cords. We recommend the use of this particular form of V-belts, because here only the geometry to 100% corresponds to what Elmo has provided for these devices."

In summary, this means that installing this belt grade will improve speed steadiness too.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 06:42 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil this is what was on there when I changed it to the square belt still have to get back on the color of wires and how many.

[ August 23, 2019, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 08:49 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Ok Jim, I understand a tipical "V" belt was installed on this machine.If you kept it, l suggest you to re install it if it is serviceable yet (normaly this kind of belt is extra long life) and make new tests.

Let us know

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 10:11 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try replacing the v belt! Like the GS1200 belt! That belt does not stretch! Do that and test it!

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 10:31 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Leon,

Do you know what are Elmo machines fitted with plyurthane "V" belt at the origin ?
These belts insure a very good transmission for a long !

May be the Gs 1200 ref can fit with other ones ....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 10:56 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did keep it will put it back on not sure how old it is.

--------------------
jim schrader

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i recently watch a video, and forget where i saw it now.... and the fella restored his belts by boiling them in water in the microwave. It was a belt for a cassette deck that was stretched, it gave me the idea that one might be able to do the same for super 8 belts that are not gone to black goop but are simply stretched.
...don't try this yet jim until we learn more, but i thought i'd throw the idea out there in case anyone knows what i mean...

btw- i think this is a belt problem as well. i have seen this if i don't use the square belt on one of my elmos...

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2019 08:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the trouble began with the v belt on thatS why I changed it out so changing it back wouldnt help I think.
Phil here is some pictures of the wires going to the motor
 -
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2019 05:41 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim for your pictures.

At a first sight , I only see 2 wires (RED/Black) comming from motor.
May be there are others hidden, I don't know.

I suggest you to perform cleaning of speed potentiometer and toggle switch (16 / 25), connectors as necessary, installed on a small circuit behind upper belt.

Try to use a very powerfull contact cleaner (Cleaner & Lube fluid, spray gun).

You can soak and actuate them in a same time.
As the small circuit is removed, take the opportunity to make a closed inspection of its solderings and tracks (magnifier x10).

It should be interesting to get a schematic & WD for this machine.

Let us know

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2019 09:30 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, take off the motor generator and clean it! It will act up if dirty or going bad! The motor generator is on the motor! It has two wires soldered to it! Clean with contact cleaner!

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2019 08:44 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon, where about is the motor generator what color wires go to it from the pictures?
Phil, is the speed potentiometer and toggle switch (16 / 25), connectors in the area i circled?
 -

--------------------
jim schrader

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2019 08:53 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jim, normaly this is the "speed adjustment" knob board.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2019 09:10 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim its on the rear end of the motor! The front end has the pulley on it! Has two wires soldered to it!

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:10 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil took parts off to clean but don稚 have a magnifying to check connections just eyed them.

--------------------
jim schrader

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:46 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, did you check the motor generator? Let me know!

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 01:42 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon Not yet, will check it soon and no film yet.

--------------------
jim schrader

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 02:02 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep me updated Jim!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 05, 2019 06:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an observation guys....Why is this thread in the General Yak Forum? It is definitely related to 8mm projector repair so I suggest it should belong in the 8mm Forum.

[ September 05, 2019, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 09, 2019 03:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

I agree. The thread has been moved.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC