8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex Paillard 18-5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex Paillard 18-5
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 25, 2019 10:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This particular model came out in 1963, got it going again and thought It would nice to make a short video of it, and also the importance not to throw out "Kodachrome" film from that era.

https://youtu.be/U-LSwIgnw_k

|  IP: Logged

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2019 07:36 AM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great video Graham, enjoyed that very much.

--------------------
A fan of 8mm movies since the mid 1960s and still as keen as ever!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 26, 2019 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 18-5 is a superb little 8mm projector, particularly the original manual threader model which will never damage a single frame of film. These all-metal projectors are very rugged and beautiful to look at. Once you replace the original belts with Butyl or Ethylene-propylene belts they will probably never need any more service except routine cleaning and lubrication. The 9 blade variable shutter is very clever, giving flicker free projection with 9 blades at 5fps, and automatically converting by centrifugal force to a normal 3 blade shutter at 18fps. You can see the animation of the shutter mechanism here:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/185.html

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2019 10:48 AM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't realise it had a variable blade shutter, thank you for posting that link Paul, very interesting.

--------------------
A fan of 8mm movies since the mid 1960s and still as keen as ever!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 26, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the statement that at 5fps " the brightness is slightly reduced" is wishful thinking. In fact the brightness is considerably reduced ( by 66%) at 5fps - if anyone ever used it at that speed.
This is the only projector that I will entrust to run my 60 year old 8mm Kodachrome films without any fear of film damage.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 26, 2019 07:48 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Leonard [Smile]

I have come to the conclusion that if you want to see the best results with film, that a film projector is the only solution, so far I have not seen any digital transfer that is as good as the original film projected as its meant to be.

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2019 11:24 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently purchased a Bolex 18-5L Super in mint condition. It came equipped with the Bolex "hifi" 1.3 prime lens. I upgraded the 'spaceman" bulb with the Bolex conversion halogen assembly. That bulb is 75 watts and very bright. It's also a Osram HLX which gives a much brighter projection. Even though this projector has the auto-threading it's very gentle on film just like the original. It's now my go to Super 8 projector. The other big plus for using a 18-5 series machine is it's compact size. Very easy to transport! The precise focusing of the lens is also a big plus. The lens itself is threaded into the lens barrel and once dialed in the focus does not drift. The rear sprung gate is also a nice feature for Super 8! Not many projectors had this feature. I also prefer a prime lens over a zoom. Nothing compares!
One more thing I'd like to add when your shopping for one of these, make sure the unit is in good cosmetic condition. I've seen many 18-5L Super's on eBay that have rust issues. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the earlier 18-5 standard 8 machines. I think the paint used on the later models was applied differently and doesn't age as well. If you find one in mint condition, or one that's been stored in ideal conditions it shouldn't be an issue. My unit has a nice finish after all these years. But I think it was treated well and stored properly.
I scanned a copy of my Bolex 18-5L Super brochure. This was a nice detailed booklet from the late 60's.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10mE-VwaYRblupNtmU3QWtP0yN9arXh7z

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2019 02:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shane, do you have a source/link for that "Bolex Halogen Lamp Conversion assembly"?
Thanks for posting that great Bolex brochure - very nice. You are right on about the rear sprung gate and helical lens thread - NO refocussing! Too bad these were not adopted by Elmo and Eumig.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2019 02:41 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I had a second Bolex 18-5L Super and I swapped out the "spaceman" bulb with the halogen assembly Bolex designed for this projector after 1970. The halogen assembly slips in the same way the "spaceman" bulb does so no modification needed. As you can see in the photo below the base is the same for both of these different style bulbs.
PS: Paul I sent you a PM earlier today so check your inbox!
 -
 -

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2019 03:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 18-5 is a real looker. Of all the projectors that I have on display it is the little 18-5 that people are most attracted to. It always gets the most comments about its design beauty.

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted November 04, 2019 06:30 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me more about the "Bolex Halogen Lamp Conversion assembly".. I've got a std8 18/5 and its the best 8mm projector I've got, just not bright enough....

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2019 07:46 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,
Basically Bolex offered a conversion for the Bolex 18-5L Super sometime in the late 60's. The Super 8 version was equipped with the incandescent bulb when it was first released. It was basically the same bulb that was supplied in the original 18-5. The first Super 8 18-5 was only 50 watts. Around 1967 Bolex offered a 75 watt incandescent bulb, that will not work in the original 18-5 as the connections are different. Then shortly after that time frame they began offering a conversion to halogen. The halogen bulb was also 75 watts but much brighter. After 1970 the halogen assembly was supplied with some 18-5 L Super's (the second Super 8 version machine) from the factory. I believe by 1971 all 18-5L Super's were equipped this way.
The same assembly that was supplied in the 18-5L Super from the factory could also be purchased from Bolex (see photo above). The halogen assembly fits in the socket the same as the incandescent bulb. No modification is needed. However the halogen assembly only fits the Super 8 version of the 18-5. The original 18-5 has a different assembly. My guess is with some slight mods the halogen assembly could probably be fitted to the original 18-5. You would have so find a equivalent halogen bulb that is rated at 50 watts. I have found the best halogen bulb, for use in the 18-5L Super, is the Osram HLX EFN 75 watt bulb which uses Xenon instead of krypton for a bright image. I have the voltage on my 18-5L Super set for 110 and that gives me additional light output. It does shorten the bulb life slightly but I'd rather have more light and these bulbs are relatively cheap.
Here's an example of the halogen assembly from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Bolex-Factory-HALOGEN-BULB-ADAPTER-For-Bolex-18-5L-Movie-Projector-NOS/392509370730?hash=item5b6361b16a:g:bR8AAOSwnVBc-zuC

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 04, 2019 08:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI...If you can't find an official Bolex halogen bulb upgrade socket you can do a DIY modification. If you go to the Techical Tip section http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011528 under Bolex there's 2 links with modification suggestions for the 18-5L and the 18-5 Std. projectors.

Bolex 18-5 Std.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012738

Bolex 18-5L
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009448

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2019 06:58 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I didn't realize until recently was how the Bolex 18-5 got it's name? Well it's based on the two speeds 18 and 5 frames per second, makes sense now LOL.

--------------------

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted November 07, 2019 07:58 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all that info about the bulb conversion. I've got a std8 18-5 so the Bolex upgrade won't fit. I'll have to engineer my own. Another project to add to the list.....

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted November 15, 2019 11:09 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'd really like to do is convert my Std8 18-5 (8v 50w lamp) to take the 12v 75w lamp from the 18-5L. Does anybody know whether the transformer from the 18-5L will fit into the 18-5 case? As a longer shot, would the gate, claw, sprockets and arms from a Std8 18-5 fit an 18-5L?

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2019 07:33 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob check out this comparison I made between the 18-5 and the 18-5L Super. The internals look the same. My guess would be the transformer from a 18-5L would fit in the case of a 18-5.

-

[ November 16, 2019, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted November 19, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for taking the trouble Shane. They do look remarkably similar, right down to the connections. I might just give that a try....

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2019 05:40 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Rob,
If you do decide to swap transformers let us know how you make out. I have a spare 18-5L that I use if I need parts for my minty 18-5L. I would certainly consider using the spare transformer in my 18-5 regular.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC