8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO SC18 Magnetic/optical ... pros and cons?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO SC18 Magnetic/optical ... pros and cons?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 21, 2019 11:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in this model of ELMO, so, I'd like to hear from owners of this projector.

Is it gentle to film?
What reel capacity does it have?
How easy is it to get parts for it?
How is it in the "breakdown" department? (is it a good Eumig style long run projector, or is it know for being "high maintenance"?

I thank you for you're time, ahead of time.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 21, 2019 04:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it's probably a close cousin to the smaller capacity Elmo STs: 100W Lamp, DC Motor (etc.)

-probably shares a lot of parts with the ST-600/180 (as well as the 600 Ft. take-up.)

The critical thing with Elmo machines has always been wear. As those green guides get worn flat they intrude on the frame area of the film and can cause a lot of heartache.

What lesser capacity machines like this have in their favor is it's more likely they haven't spent as much time running features, so the guides have a better chance of not being worn out.

I like the way the Elmo machines are put together and I've lived happily with mine for about 16 years now. I don't think if this is a good specimen you can go too wrong by it.

(The built in screen is a little funky, but that's just my own taste in movie projectors! -to each their own!)

Parts? This is an unusual model. The parts it shares with the others shouldn't be too hard to find, but the model-unique ones? -Maybe not so easy!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 22, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Elmo SC-18 Hi Vision and it's an excellent projector. The small built-in screen is very usual for quick checking a film without setting up a screen. Of course, the mirror moves so that the projector can work in the convential way.

I must correct Osi. Whilst it is a twin-track, it is not optical.

https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_elmo/elmo_ sc18_m.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 22, 2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will post these photo's as soon as I can, but I have photo's from this projector and it DOES clearly state "M & O" on the outer design. Could there have been two different varieties with this projector?

-

-

-

[ November 22, 2019, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 22, 2019 12:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo very commonly had magnetic only and magnetic/optical variants of their machines.

In Japan where optical was very popular, they even had optical only. Somewhere on this forum Jason Smith posted pictures of a "GS1200 O Xenon": you've never seen such a simple looking GS1200 your whole life!

Something is telling me "M+O" is a major bonus for you, Osi!

(The Kanji labeling on that machine is kind of cool! Who can read it in the dark anyway?)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 22, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected.
However, mine is only magnetic, (twin-track.)

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC