8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for some classic Halloween films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for some classic Halloween films
John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2004 12:00 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm looking for a couple of Super 8 classic hammer sound films. Full length classics such as Bride of Frankenstein are preferred however long playing cutdowns of a classic might also be of interest.

I'm still relatively new at this game so if you see me asking for a sanity check on prices from other forum members please don't be offended.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2004 12:05 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, John -- "Bride of Frankenstein" was decidedly NOT a Hammer film. Bride was made in 1935. Hammer studios didn't exist until 1949....

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2004 02:57 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

Ouch, not the reply I was looking for, but warranted nontheless, and embarassing. I had thought that all of the Frankenstein features were released by Hammer.

Regardless my title/genre request for classic horror still stands.

Thanks, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2004 09:14 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John --

Do you collect 16mm too? I've got a number of 16mm horror films avaialable - but no super 8 anymore....

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 28, 2004 10:04 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good Hammer Dracula on Ebay. I have bought from this seller before. He's a good person. [Eek!]
web page
I don't think the link is working today. Here is the item number: 6318441419.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the seller sure it's the FULL LENGTH UNCUT version (3x600 = 1800 foot) and not the 4x400 CUT version (4x400 = 1600 foot) the sellers version is 2x800 = 1600 foot.

Anyhow anyone know what was cut originally?

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2004 09:20 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

I'd be interested in the following:

Frankenstein series
Werewolf series
Abbot and Costello meets either of the above...
Mummy
Creature from the black lagoon and its sequels
and any other 50's scifi/creature feature would be of interest.

Thanks, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 01, 2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Scars of Dracula feature on eBay, I don't think there's any way the full length version would have fitted on 2 x 800' reels - I have it and it was sold on 4 x 600' reels (not full of course). The one thing I can recall about the cuts in the a x 400' version, which was approx 65 mins, was that the sequence with that ends with Dracula biting the girl from the inn is missing, and anyone buying the 400' version could add this to the feature.
Although I'm a big Hammer fan, I'd say that anyone would be better off buying the other full length Dracula features that Derann still offer, i.e. 'Dracula', 'Dracula Prince of Darkness'(scope) and 'Dracula Has Risen From the Grave'. The latter has German titles but my print is stunning - someone asked me if it was 16mm after a show!
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 01, 2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Classic Home Cinema has full length prints on B&W stock of "A&C meet Frankenstein", "Ghost of Frankenstein", & "The Mummy". They also have the 50's classic "Tarantula".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 02, 2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its so funny regarding those old horror movies. I remember being a kid and really being scared when the Mummy would go walking around under the moonlight dragging his leg. Or when the moon would come out and Lon Chaney would start turning into a werewolf! I use to love those films but I haven't seen one in about 30 years!

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2004 10:13 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Thanks, I'll go take a peak at their offerings.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 02, 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say about these Dracula features is... [Razz] "bite me"!

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, consider yourself bitten!

Adrian, you do Mr Fisher proud.

BTW Adrian, would you believe it if I told you I was recently sat on a beach on the North Kent Coast having a very pleasant conversation with a 'mature' lady who sold her house to Peter Cushing. Once sold she lived in the larger house next door to him for 40 odd years? Many stories were told to me about Mr Cushing that quite surprised me!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 04, 2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Ricky, thanks for the bite. Now, you must tell us what you heard about Mr. Cushing. The first time I saw him was in "Horror Of Dracula". Christopher Lee scared the #%@^&*!@
out of me and my friend. We thought these two guys were the coolest, since at that time all we had seen were the Hollywood classics. [Eek!] [Wink]

[ September 04, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2004 04:23 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Lets just say the word promiscuous was used a lot! Who can blame him, Hammer were selling sex as well as horror!! [Razz]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 04, 2004 12:11 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky, at least he chose sex over horror. [Roll Eyes]

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt Disney’s 1st Silly Symphony. The Skeleton Dance. Unbeatable Halloween movie for all ages. [Smile]

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC