8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Creeping Flesh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Creeping Flesh
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2006 03:41 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd make another plea here if anyone has the old Derann feature THE CREEPING FLESH for sale. I just lost one on Ebay after searching for years and was devastated. The seller was very vague about whether the color had faded or not, so maybe it's a good thing I lost it. I have to look on the bright side!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 27, 2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Lance and I were bidding also and we all lost! The seller's reason for not looking at the film to check for fade seemed like one long dance to avoid having to say yes, the film is red.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug - I know... who needs another red feature? Anyway, since you brought up the seller's ridiculous dance about the print, I would like to post here his answer to my "Has this print turned red?" question. I don't mean to embarrass him if he's a member here... but THIS IS CRAZY. (Am I bitter about losing the auction? Perhaps...)

Q: Has The Creeping Flesh print faded red?

A: Thank you for your interest. Although I would like to view all my prints again as to color-fade I simply don't have the time and I still have a great Eumig & the outstanding Elmo which allows optical sound prints too to view them on. As far as I know ALL color movie stock at some point will fade; if not now, later. I did in fact pull out more than several feet on a number of reels of various films and found the first few feet method useless. If the film is on multiple reels, you have to view each reel as there may be fade on one and not on another. If the film is mounted on a 1200' reel, you would have to -fast forward- a couple of times past the 400' splice. At one point the airlines used a projection method with super 8mm prints. I have seen some of those and the same thing applies, some reels are faded and some not. Moreover, color or tint to me is a subjective matter. If you went to the theaters 30 or 40 years ago, there was a wide variance in the -tint- of some films. I have seen some postings on eBay that show shots from films that say there is no fade but that to my eye appear to have color-fade. I own an old color feature that is not out on DVD and is not for sale. When I originally got it on 5 400' reels 30 years ago, one of the 5 did not have as strong color as the others which were georgeous. A couple of years ago, I watched it again frustrated it was not out on DVD yet. To my surprise, although not much of one as I knew this would eventualy happen (anyone remember laser-rot? laserdiscs would last forever), one of the 5 had definitely faded. Yet because I enjoyed the film originally I was still able to enjoy it projected much bigger than even a 70' HDTV could offer & with a certain crispness. So I am sorry this does not really answer your questions and I appreciate your interest. Sorry for the longwindedness but to the best of my knowledge ALL color stock film will fade.

HUH!... So the answer to my question is.......it's red, right?!!

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I recently obtained a 4x400ft print of "The Creeping Flesh" on ebay(not the one you were bidding on) and the print is not red. It has absolutely no color left at all and needs a blue filter to give it a sort of bluey monochrome look. So I think you were probably lucky not to have won the auction.I would think that most prints of this title would have faded by now as they were printed on on inferior Eastman stock. [Frown]

Norman Fisher
Junior

- posted November 28, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Norman Fisher   Email Norman Fisher       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller is also selling other color prints and was just as vague on those as well. I too was planning on bidding high for this movie, but when the seller gave us the long winded 'song and dance' I backed out. How much did the print finally go for? I deleted his auction from my watched items before it ended.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 28, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The winning bid was $132.50.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am holding out for a good color print of CREEPING FLESH. Not long ago I bought odd reel #2 from Derann's used list and the color was great so there must be good prints around. I can't imagine Derann printed up a random reel of this title recently.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2006 05:57 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won one of this seller's film auctions. I sent him/her an e-mail recommending that they could most likely make more money on their auctions by actually checking the status of the color, and stating whether the color was good or bad in the item description. When I received the film it turned out to be completely RED. I wasn't surprised....I don't think this is a Forum member. I'm glad the 200 footer only cost me $10.00!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Watlton print of Witchfinder General that was in terrible physical condition but had beautiful clarity and color, then I picked up one from Derann's used list that was pretty brownish (though not described as such) but was in great shape, but I sold both when the British DVD came along (I also have a Sony video projector) So you can still find decent color on some films that you wouldn't think you could.

I do happen to know that the print that still had great color, was also kept in cold-storage and probably not printed on some alternative stock.

As far as that seller goes, I can spot a reddish print with my naked eye, so I don't buy any of that color "philosophy "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC