8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Ronald Howard - Sherlock Holmes Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ronald Howard - Sherlock Holmes Wanted
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up two of the Heritage releases of the Ronald Howard 1954 Sherlock Holmes episodes on Std 8. I believe that Heritage released three episodes, so if anyone has "The Case of the Haunted Gainsborough" I'd be interested in buying it.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
39 episodes of this series were made. These were the first television films to feature Sir Arthur Conan Doyles famous detective. The series was a hit in America, France, Germany even Africa but it was never shown in the UK. We may speculate as to why this was the case but at least we can be grateful to Heritage Films for releasing three of them. Interestingly, Archie Duncan, who played Inspector Lestrade throughout the series, turns up as Malcolm MacGreggan in "The Case of the Haunted Gainsborough" which looks as though it may have been the best of the 3 releases with its "haunted Scottish castle" theme.
But Stewart, please put me out of my misery. How did Ferdy Mayne break out of Newgate Prison using only a Christmas pudding????

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But Stewart, please put me out of my misery. How did Ferdy Mayne break out of Newgate Prison using only a Christmas pudding????
Now that would be telling [Embarrassed]

In the best mystery tradition I'll drop some clues throughout the day.

Clue 1. The pudding was in a parcel which was secured with glittery string.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 19, 2006 03:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this mail about Std 8 sound Sherlock flicks. I have Haunted G, and also Christmas Pudding. A Question..What was the other title available on Standard 8mm??

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 05:07 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other one is The Case of the Unlucky Gambler.

Lots of info about them here http://www.bvws.org.uk/405alive/info/prog_holmes.html

Clue 2. String was made to glitter by embedding glass chips in it.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's elementary really! [Roll Eyes]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 21, 2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting me know the other title...I have sifted the archive here and do have all three. Not sure what I have sometimes as I am sure most are in the same boat! I like the Sherlock flicks very much, and did get a very nice DVD set with lots of these on which was good. The best one for me was the episode with Paulette Goddard in and its a shame this was not on 8mm.
Happy days!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC