8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Plan 9 From Outer Space

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan 9 From Outer Space
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 18, 2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a super 8mm B&W 5X400ft print of Plan 9 from outer space to be shown at a film event. If anyone can help please let me know. I also have a spare DVD of the colour rework of plan 9 if its of any help to anyone. Could also include the 3D Universal print of It Came from outer space in any deal..

All good wishes...

|  IP: Logged

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish i had plan 9 Lee,i'd really like to get hold of the 3D version of "It Came From Outer Space".

I'll keep my eyes peeled,if i see anything i'll report back

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Lee,
you're looking for Super 8 gold. It took me years to get the Mountain 4 x 400ft Super 8 print of "Plan 9" and I have never seen a 5 x 400ft print. Good luck on your quest, if you find it you can name your price as this title is the "holy grail" of Super 8 prints.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for the uncut version of Plan 9, too. I have the Mountain feature which is great except they cut out the footage of Bela Lugosi smelling the roses outside his house! How could they have cut out the footage that started the whole film rolling. I guess they didn't know how historically important it was. Anyway, I saw the five reel version on Ebay once. It was in the original Red Fox Films box with the artwork. I am still kicking myself that I didn't bid as high as I needed to.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 11:15 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Mountain films, they didn't know. They thought it was just another crap title. At least we should be thankful that they kept Criswell in their release.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 11, 2007 04:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little more on Plan 9. I have just picked up the new DVD of Plan 9 from outer space which has been colourised. I have to say it is the best example of the colour process I have seen and we have now watched it a number of times. Other items are on the DVD which make it even more fun. Image quality is superb as is the sound.

Now what would be nice is for Derann to bring out the colour trailer that is on the dvd for plan 9. I expect the company have a 35mm print available by now and just in case Derann are reading this it is www.legendfilms.net who are dealing with it, and you can put me down for the first 8mm print!

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I don't like those colourizations:
* Colour has a totally different look&feel than b&w. Changing this aspect gives the film a totally different style. And I doubt that this new style was intended by the director.
* In some colourized Stan & Olli-films the actors are standing in front of pink walls. Kodachrome photos from the set proof that this colourization is correct. But the walls aren't pink because this was to supposed to be funnier or because that colour was "hip" at that time! No, the walls have been pink because this gives a better contrast to the actors on the b&w print than e.g. a white wall! And I'm sure that other props/studio-backgrounds in other films have been painted in similar strange colours simply because this looked better in b&w. In other words: Even though you can probably restore the real colour, I doubt that you can restore the "intended" colour.

But that's just my personal opinion,
Jörg

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 11, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE have the 21 dvd Laurel and Hardy set and the older colourizations done 20 odd years ago are very poor, but the odd one done for the DVD I think with the newer longer versions, obviously done more recently are very nice.
WW1 in colour was very good which I really enjoyed 7.99 the dvd set.
But when it comes to cine you only of course tend to get B+W of colour, its that a good or bad thing ???
Best Mark.
PS I prefer the B+W lads on dvd, film, whatever.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2007 09:37 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a super 8 print of "Plan 9" a while back - can't recall if it was 4 or 5 reels... What I do remember is that the picture quality was dire. Yuck. Not sure which release it was...

I wonder if they were all that bad, or just some of them?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 11, 2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those black & white fans will be pleased to know that the B&W version is also on the same DVD...Just for the record...

Im a long time Bela Lugosi fan so anything new is welcome in the archive. This is a new colourised version so should not be confused with the YUK L&H that were issued some years ago on VHS. The quality of this issue is superb and we first watched it on the DLP 6ft screen. It was also nice to see Ed Woods home movies on the DVD amongst other things.

I still feel that a super 8 trailer would go a bomb, and as someone once said...

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are giving you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimonies of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal. The
incidents, the places, my friend we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty, let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?"

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 11:41 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the quality of super 8 Plan 9 prints - the 200' digest from Heritage is awful with a dark, murky, almost unwatchable picture. But the Mountain feature looks great - just a little bit light in the contrast department, but highly recommended.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian --
If the mountain prints were nice, what the heck did I have? -- it was AWFUL -- looked like a dupe of a dupe. Someone else must have put this out as well I guess...

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven - I'm assuming Plan 9 was probably in the public domain for a while (since no studio would admit to owning it probably!) so its probably a title that lots of lower-end film compainies released at some point. Hence some bad quality dupes on the market.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 18, 2007 03:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two new Heritage 200ft prints in =sealed boxes. As the quality was said to be poor I thought I had better undo and have a nose after all these years.. The prints to me look rather good and I am now toying with striping and popping sound on one which is always a fun job.

Used to have the 5X400 version which was A1 B&W quality, but had seen the Mountain version which was a little rough. I used to go to Drama School in London so called in at there shop in the 70's. As I was a young lad then and they used to treat me each Friday to a one reel film show. Long time ago.... Needless to say over 4 weeks I got to see Plan 9 at the shop. My mum used to give me money for my breakfast on the way to school, but I used to save this and buy 8mm films from them. My school mates used to share breakfast with me knowing I would show some films at Christmas at school. Good memories from my childhood which led me to become a Bela Lugosi fan and realise that the best quality prints came from Derann. Have many Lugosi features and shorts on 8 & 16 and his films always go down well here.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC