8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WTB: Night of the Living Dead Super 8 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WTB: Night of the Living Dead Super 8
Eric Kent
Junior

- posted January 30, 2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I am new here and also new to the world of 8mm. I recently bought a super 8 print of Dawn of the Dead from Gian Luca Mario Loncrini, and now I am hooked.

I am a little depressed to see a couple of prints of Night have been sold here recently, but I figured I'd put out the request just in case.

Great forum!

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Eric!
Welcome here to the forum! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ January 30, 2009, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2009 12:00 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric, Can't help on the film but I can extend the welcome given by Gian Luca. Best of luck in your search and enjoy the Forum.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 30, 2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and Welcome!
How do you like the color and quality of the Full length Dawn of the Dead? I have the German cut down and the quality of that one is very good.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 30, 2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and Welcome!
How do you like the color and quality of the Full length Dawn of the Dead? I have the German cut down and the quality of that one is very good.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 30, 2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, welcome to forum.

You will probably see NOLD on Ebay close to halloween. [Smile]

Eric Kent
Junior

- posted January 30, 2009 02:16 PM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I thought the colors were a little warm, similar to one of the laserdisc releases in the 1980s. Reels 3, 4 and 5 were fairly clean and looked the best.

It was also a trial by fire in learning how to use a projector. I bought a Chinon 9000 locally and using it was a piece of cake.

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Eric!

I don't think you will have too much trouble finding "Night of the Living Dead", as there were alot of prints made of this back in the 70's/80's. Being a public domain title at the time, alot of small companies were producing it. I guess the biggest problem will be finding an excellent quality print. The good thing about NOTLD though is, its still good, eerie atmosphere, even with a substandard print.

Finding "Dawn" in full-length is definately alot more rare. By the way, is it the Italian cut or the American cut?

James.

Eric Kent
Junior

- posted January 30, 2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the European Argento edit with Italian language.

I have been reading around and notice that some folks have dubbed new soundtracks onto their foriegn language films. My projector can record audio. Would it be as simple as creating my own audio track, syncing it up and pressing the record button?

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2009 04:44 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, I'm so happy you finally had my ex copy of DAWN OF THE DEAD. And I really hope you will enjoy it the same way I did when I had found it after SO SO LONGTIME! I know it's probably hard for you to 'understand' Italian dialogues (eh eh) even if you know that film so well, but there surely should be a way to re-record the soundtrack. The only (only... [Confused] ) two problems you will probably have are:

- THE COPY IS A PIRATE ONE, from a positive master: the 35 mm. version is cut here and there. This means that it won't be so easy to 're-create' the full soundtrack in original language.

- IT'S AN EX COPY FOR RENT. And there are cuts and splices here and there as well. This will probably represent another little limit. I hope anyway you will find the way to recreate the soundtrack for the movie. Color is not so bad. Not pink or red, at least. So I'm sure you will enjoy the movie! I hope you will find someone helping you in this.

I use to dub my Derann prints into Italian. But using super 8 prints/dvds produced from the same masters. And this is absolutely easier. Consider you have to sync projector and the playback source. Be sure your projector is in a position to do that.

But we are all friends, here. If it won't be me, a lot of nice people will tell you how to do it and probably (hope so) help you.

CIAO

[Big Grin]

GIAN

[ January 30, 2009, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Eric Kent
Junior

- posted January 31, 2009 08:55 AM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about camcording each reel, and creating a soundtrack from the DVD and matching it up to each reel, respectively, and then inputting the audio source into the projector, synching it up and hitting the record button. Is that pretty much the standard operating procedure?

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric. Well, the basic problem is speed.
Super 8 works at 24/sec. BUT DVD AT 25/sec! You should have a projector built with the possibility to change speed, do you? In this case you should do it. But remember the cuts. Otherwise the result will be a total mass. Hope someone will help you with this. As I already told you, I use to re-record my Derann prints, but the versions of the DVDs or VHSs I normally play to re-create the soundtrack ARE THE SAME I have on super 8: not a minute in more or less, nor a frame in more or less. That's why it's easy! What you are inteded to do needs more ability.
Hope you will get it, anyway.
CIAO

[Wink]

[ February 03, 2009, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2009 02:13 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric - there is of course another alternative......... You could always learn Italian. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2009 04:13 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 05, 2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is copy of "Night of the Living Dead".
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-Super-8-Feature-5x400-8mm_W0QQitemZ320338327660QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However the buy it now is way too high ...even his reserve is very high. Unless its Halloween the normal price for that is around $80-150. If no one buys it then make a counteroffer once the auction is over. Good Luck!

Eric Kent
Junior

- posted February 05, 2009 07:27 AM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan!

I agree, I don't think they will get their reserve but you never know.

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Eric, Alan is right...this RED FOX version is worth about $100.00 tops. To tell you the truth, i've had a couple of the RED FOX NOTLD prints over the years, and it's not the best super 8mm print of this film. The negative used had some jumpy splices, although the picture & sound is acceptable. The jumpy snips are not in the actual film, just the source material for the RED FOX print. I found the best overall version is the DEMAIO FILM SERVICE print. Just my opinion, and even that one is only worth around $100.00 [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Eric, how are you? I agree with Alan and Joe. I actually do not have a RED FOX print anymore (did not like it so much and sold some years ago) but I remember it was not a top-quality print. And the price of the copy on Ebay is really too much! [Eek!] Did you try to dub DANW? Let me know.
CIAO

GL

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 05, 2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, We don't talk about Pirate prints on here do we [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Sorry Kevin.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 05, 2009 09:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Form the above Ebay link:

quote:
Reserve is set at $200.
What does it mean, if the seller put reserved price but then declaring the minimum reservation? Does it mean who ever the bidder has to put above $200 to get the film?

--------------------
Winbert

Peter Willems
Junior

- posted February 06, 2009 03:33 AM      Profile for Peter Willems   Email Peter Willems   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric,

I got a NOTLD print from Ivy Films many years ago and it is pretty good. The focus is a bit soft and the contrast could be somewhat better.

Dubbing with new audio is pretty simple. I use a modified Bauer T525 with a circuit that automatically synchronizes with the CVBS of an input video signal. Pretty cool! I took the rotary shutter out so that I can use 1/50s exposure time. I am using it for films transfer and for reading in frame-by-frame. After editing audio dubbing can be done same way. If you burn a DVD exactly matching the film you can even use it for regular audio playback when projecting. This way you can have AC3 or DTS with Super8! Only deficits are that you have to start manually and you can't stop the running film. First the projector won't stop because the PC or DVD player outputs a video signal anyway. Second if the video signal is gone the projector falls back to 24fps. The equipment is available here:

http://www.telecine.de

Regards,

Peter

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 02:08 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
INF

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-Super-8mm-Film-Sound-Feature_W0QQitemZ230325053010QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_OtherFormats_GL?hash=item230325053010&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Eric Kent
Junior

- posted February 12, 2009 08:03 AM      Profile for Eric Kent   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Kent   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that this latest auction is a cut down since it is only on three 600' reels?

I emailed the seller and they said that is the complete release, it isn't missing a reel.

--------------------
"The computer don't lie"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 14, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum as well!

Good luck on your search for the macabre!

Except for "Alien" and "Vampyr", I really haven't gotten into Horror much on Super 8.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC