8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Abbott and Costello - Who's On First?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abbott and Costello - Who's On First?
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a decent copy of this, preferably the entire skit, and sound is a requisite of course.

Anyone got stores to recommend or a copy to sell themselves?

I've already checked some of the places listed in here.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian ...

It sounds like you may already know this, but the title your looking for is the 200ft Universal 8 release of "Who's on First".

It is about 4 and half or five minutes long, black and white sound, and it's taken from the Abbott and Costello feature, "The Naughty Nineties". The print is very good as is the sound, and has a few little bits to it that are not in other versions of the skit.

Happy Hunting!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's the print I'm looking for indeed, but someone told there was a 400' version (300' on a 400' reel) with the entire un-cut skit, which is about 6 min 20 secs.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might be wrong about the running time, Christian. I think that there is only the one version on a 200ft reel. I remember that it didn't fill the reel very full and the skit appeared to be complete.

Maybe it's another version. That's entirely possible.

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2009 08:00 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For reasons only known to the Einsteins at Universal 8, they did originally release a shorter version. The complete version is indicated as such on the box.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE most elongated version is from the TV show 'Old Actor's Home', where they perform the routine lasting some ten minutes or so - This was also around in Super 8 Sound, a 600' show from MOVIE MEMORIES, but not sure exactly who released it - The U8 edition is taken from 'Naughty Nineties', and is the only extant edition from the motion pictures, with the exception maybe of 'One Night In The Tropics' - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 08:15 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Joe!

I had passed on that release a couple of times when it has shown up. (sigh), I was so close to finishing my collecting days, and now THIS one comes up!

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 09:43 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ordered it from Phil's collectibles now!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was so close to finishing my collecting days, and now THIS one comes up!
Osi...when you are still breathing, believe me..... you never stop collecting [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 11:37 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, don't forget the Popeye Alli Baba cartoon is on ebay right now

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 23, 2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -
 -

My 100' version looks fine. The 200 footer looks like it was taken from a 16mm dupe.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug ...

You are a fountian of knowledge when it comes to this release.
Now I'm curious to potentially look this Super 8 up on ebay, as I have always passed it by as it always seemed a little too edited for my taste. Knowing that they also releaswed a full version makes me want to get it.

TanX!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 07:35 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, WOF marks the 20th S8 Sound film edition from Castle, though this is a U-8 - There are the earliest Std 8 Silents with different box-styles, but overall, this is the run - Good luck to all those searching to complete - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC