8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Trailer to show off Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Trailer to show off Super 8
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 04:54 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to buy something that can show off the quality of Super 8. Anyone have a trailer or short with exceptional quality?

Nobody has a trailer with super quality?

[ January 08, 2013, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 08, 2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions at least, as to what has super quality? Do I look for Derann trailers only or is some of the newer stuff good? Does for example The Thing (Carpenter) have a Super 8 trailer?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 08, 2013 06:46 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar,yes there is a trailer to "The Thing" put out by Jef Films
in the '80's and yes there are some super quality trailers on
S/8 not only by Derann, but also CHC and Lone Wolf.Some of
the German companies put out trailers such as UFA which I
must admit I haven't seen, but if they're anything like their
condensations in quality, then they should be excellent.There was
a company called Thunderbird Films that produced trailer reels
of varying quality,but entertaining nontheless.Worth looking out for are the Kemski trailer reels in 'scope which again were
stunning, the colour on the "Guns For San Sebastian" shows
up the 3x400 from MGM.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 08, 2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I just read somewhere that the CHC wasn't up to the same standard as the Derann prints, but if they are still good, I'll check with them ... Thank you

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 04:03 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I forgot to mention the excellent series of trailer reels put
out by Barry Attwood of Indy 8, which went under the name of
"Value For Money",they certainly were and quality as good as
Deranns, I still treasure his "Mars Attacks".

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 05:23 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer to 'Raise The Titanic' was very good. 'The Spy Who Loved Me' from Derann, maybe not up to today's standard is quite good & action packed, one of my favourites too, 'Octopussy' teaser released by JEF Films was quite good too.

Nice to hear Thunderbird Films mentioned just looking at their flyer, they must have released more trailers than any other company. Most were compilation reels, of varying quality.

A company called LA Films did a few compilation reels (400ft?) I bought a couple of these, & they were quite good. Now where did Mr LA go?

How I wish for the old days with all the distributors that were around then, but with today's quality & yesterdays prices.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 07:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You and me both David, I still have the lovely trailer reel put out
by LA Films containing a selection of Ray Harryhausen & other
animated films inc a rare trailer to "Dinosaurus" on a 400' spool.
The print was good and very pleasant colour.
Prints I would use Vidar to show off S/8 would be the trailers to
"EL CID", "FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE", "FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS" and any of the Derann Hammer Fims trls like "VAMPIRE
CIRCUS", "TWINS OF EVIL" etc.All these are top notch print &
sound and I haven't seen better.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 08:31 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers to show off Super 8mm I would choose.
Colour: Gangs of New York, Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat.
Colour Scope: This is it. (as I’m a fan of MJ)
Black and White: Ed Wood, Tons of trouble 1956
Silent: Phantom of the Opera 1925

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LA films is none other than..our own Larry Arpin!
I have a trailer reel of Kung Fu movies I got from him. Most of the colors have shifted but great content!And I purchased these from him in the mid 80's!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 10:09 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar I have a very good trailer reel of Bruce Lee Kung Fu movies,Ray Harry hausen ,X-Files,,James Bond,Disney animated features,Peter Pan, and a really good AVATAR trailer!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, are you bragging or offering to sell? ;-)

Only thing not sounding too nteresting is the kung fu ones. Not my cup of tea.

How much?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, check out Classic Home Cinemas list of trls, there are some
great examples there.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 04:33 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best trailers ever, strangely, was, "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein", from director Kenneth Branagh.

A Derann release with truely pristine quality in terms of shaprness, contrast and sound.

I've been toying with selling my 32 or so reels of trailers...each on a 200ft Gepe spool with can...each themed...4-5 trailers on each...

I'd only ever want them to go to a good home; not be broken down and sold off by some idiot looking to make a profit...

£1000 anyone?

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar which ones do you like? And make me an offer? I guess it is called a bragging sell. Everything has a price. laksminirsingha at gmail dot com

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 09, 2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that Alan, well he put out some nice films,even I
understand a 2x400 of VALLEY OF GWANGI.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 06:18 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for scope trailers, then I highly recommend recent trailers from REEL IMAGE & CHC. The trailers for the last two films of the Star Wars series are especially fantastic (Cyclones & Sith).

If you are looking for full-screen/flat trailers, a particularly nice one that was put out by Derann is "The Last Action Hero" starring Arnald Schwartznegar (probably spelled that wrong). The quality is stunning on all levels, and its pretty long too, almost like a mini-digest. Of course this one is out-of-print and may be harder to find.

James.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2013 04:39 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LA put out some good titles. The trailers reels were good value on 400ft reels, usually on a theme i.e. Sci-Fi, that was a good one 'Time After Time' was on that one. Proberly worked out at around £30 back then. The ones I bought were on the whole good quality.

Larry also did a few white box specials 'Superman 2' 3x400ft (letterboxed) quite well edited too.

Its good to see he's still into super 8. Wonder if he kept a list of the titles LA Films printed?

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 10, 2013 12:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Two minds with but a single thought,me too David, I have the
Harryhausen trl reels and I think he might have done the
trl reels to Chris Lee & Vincent Price.Perhaps if Larry is reading
this he might give us an insight into some of his releases.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One I'd highly recommend is the sequence from "Gladiator" (the coliseum battle) in 'Scope. It looks and sounds amazing, being printed on later fine-grain stock.

I bought my copy from Gary Crawford at CineSea and I love it. Very impressive, if you want someone to have an idea of what S-8 is capable of.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 10, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another Derann title Claus.I wish that I'd got both clips when
available, but they usually turn up somewhere.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC