8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WTB: Frankenstein, Hammer.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB: Frankenstein, Hammer.
Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm searching for 3 full features from hammer:

THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN: Terence Fisher, Peter Cushing.

THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN: Terence Fisher, Peter Cuching.

THE HORROR OF FRANKENSTEIN: Ralph bates.

All in great conditions and with good colors.

Contact me:

jc (dot) deblock (ad) scarlet (dot) be

Best regards,

JC.

|  IP: Logged

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2014 03:29 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
excellent choices, i've got all of these on 16mm.
good luck with your search.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2014 04:37 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this sale of CURSE of FRANKENSTEIN (it's not mine tho)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301161987824?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not sure why it states 'cut-down' version considering the reel sizes? Maybe it refers to censor cuts in the master?

Best,
Rick

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Rik.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember Horror of Frankenstein was never released un-edited as a feature by Derann ... it was only 4 X 400' and was severly cut down. The entire first 20 minutes are gone plus other snips. It's worth getting however since it was a double feature with the amazing Scars of Dracula which makes a great (highly under-rated) double feature. I do have a complete print of Horror of Frankenstein from Italy which is in a beautiful display box and on 7 X 400' reels. Unfortunately the color is faded and it's in Italian so the Derann is better - although color on the prints vary greatly so be sure to ask about the color when you find a print.

As for Revenge of Frankenstein. I do have a second print with some scratches here and there that I may soon but on Ebay. Will notify you when I list it.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 27, 2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see the Curse of Frankenstein is out on Blu Ray. Might be worth a look as complete. £12 ish on amazon uk at the moment.

Best Mark.

ps Quatermas and the Pit, BR is supposed to be fantastic.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Blu of CURSE. It's excellent in my opinion, though at the time of it's release many were a bit disgruntled at the whole aspect ratio thing.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the bidding on 'Curse', I can only assume that the spool sizes mean that bidders are convinced it's complete. Strangely, there is one 'cut down' of 'Curse' in circulation. I had a print which for unknown reasons, the previous owner had quite carefully edited and this fitted on a 1200' spool. Maybe he thought the film was too long! I sold it to a collector who was happy to settle for it in view of the price I charged.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael what is the whole aspect ratio thing on Curse please then.

I don`t have any of the Hammer BR`s as they seem to refuse to come down to under £12 or so. Mind you pretty good compared to film !!

Best Mark.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 28, 2014 04:35 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Many Hammer fans complained that there was incorrect framing on the 1:66 version. Still others complained that the whole thing was washed-out looking.
There was a big debate over at the classichorror forum.
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/

If you do a search here you'll find the issue.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted the seller regarding the runtime, here's the reply...
'dear sir approx 20mins missing' yours k
That clears that mystery up [Wink]
Best
Rick

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 05:54 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John-Christophe, I have a print of "The Curse of Frankenstein", which I would consider selling.

The full-length feature was produced by Derann as an "import" print (in other words, copyright was probably a bit, shall we say, uncertain...)

They were made from 35mm original prints. As such, some scenes do have colour fade, looking rather pink. This is not a fault or fade on the super 8 print, but fade on the original master.

Fortunately, from what I recall, these sections are rather short and near the beginning of the film.

My print does have a few light scratches here and there thanks to the former owner, but nothing too distracting and certainly not persistent. You very occasionally notice them come and go.

Sound is clear, although one part does have a bit of background noise.

Picture sharpness is lovely and the print is very steady throughout; it is complete and even includes the infamous "eyeball" shot that was even cut from original DVD releases. Overall, this is a very faithful version of the original release.

This is a hugely enjoyable print which has had many a successful Halloween screening in my home cinema.

Given the price of the incomplete eBay print, I'm looking for £220.00 (pound sterling), ideally via paypal.

If you are interested let me know here and we can work out shipping costs. Also, at the weekend I can check the print for you and get some screen shots up, plus a more detailed description.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, I've pm you.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Rob,

thank's a lot.

i'm interested.

I've send you a PM.

best regards,

JC.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the interest guys; I've emailed both of you.

Jean-Christophe, you have first refusal and then Paul.

I'll run the print on Sunday and post some screen shots and a more detailed description. Hopefully work out shipping costs as well.

Hope that seems fair and thanks again guys for your interest and emails.

Sorry for the delay; work took over I'm afraid!

Here we go...

Supplied on original 5 x 400ft spools in white card boxes.
All parts have original lab leader / tail. Part 5 is about 250ft.

Part 1 - Some light scratches on the titles. Light scratches come and go for first few minutes.
Colour is slightly pale / pink looking but this is how it was printed and is fade on the master 35mm material, not the super 8 print.

Part 2 - Again, slightly pink look now and again, but blues still present.
Some very light scratches for the first few minutes and a light scratch near centre frame for a few minutes about 1/2 way through.

Part 3 - Light scratches for about a minute as a few minutes in. Nothing too serious.
Colour is much better on Parts 3 / 4 / 5.

Part 4 / 5 - Nothing serious to report!

The print is nice and sharp throughout. Sound is good and clear. It looks like early Derann post-stripe (the orange colour), so should take a good re-recording should you need too.

I've mentioned the colour and scratches only to avoid any potential disappointment; overall this is a great clean, sharp, steady print and hugely enjoyable. Good white Kodak leader on all spools, cleaned with Filmguard and ready to project.

Price £220.00 plus shipping cost via Paypal.

I haven't worked out shipping yet but will get onto that now.

Some screen shots from various parts;

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ May 13, 2014, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2014 04:32 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've now added a print check and screen shots for the guys that are interested.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the film stock.

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC