8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Life and Times of Grizzly Adams Super 8 optical sound feature WANTED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life and Times of Grizzly Adams Super 8 optical sound feature WANTED
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, must continue to ask, as, there are new folks around here that may not know the near legendary search that I have been making for well onto "nigh" ten years now!

Looking for good color on the film. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really good movie and series!!!! I love Grisley Adams as well.
I saw a copy of this a few months back on ebay, but I am guessing since you've been looking for 10 years, it probably had not-so-good colour?? If you find two good copies, keep me in mind for one of them [Smile] [Smile]
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Shenette
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Bill Shenette   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Shenette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased Season 1-2 on Dvd through walmart .com.
I am so glad I did this way My mom and I can enjoy those wed night memories of watching Grizzley adams.

The man whom tamed bears is actually burried hear in massachusetts.

--------------------
Live life to the fullest each and every day. You never know when you will be called home to Glory.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 30, 2015 08:45 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, come to Wildwood

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 30, 2015 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I so want to, and we are working again, (well $350.00 approximately per month, part time), but it all comes down to have the available cash to do so. If some comes up, I'll certainly be there, with some optical sound and otherwise rarities!

I so would love to meet ya in person, my friend!

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2019 06:29 AM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - one for sale on urbanski forum right now!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 16, 2019 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's the same one i have seen on ebay recently, (faded to about the same as my copy) or another? I have tried repeatedly to register on larry Forum. I used to have a membership on there many years ago, probably still do but I'll be darned if i could figure out what my old passworsd was on there.

Could you send me any particulars about it? Web links or such?

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2019 04:10 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried to PM you his email address, but your mailbox is full....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 16, 2019 10:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the screen shot of that particular sale. Nothing you need to worry, Osi as this print is also turning red.

-

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 18, 2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh yes, that is the one that was offered on ebay over the last few weeks. Actually, if it is on a 1600ft reel, if the reel is completely full, it might well be the full feature, but the fellow did include screenshots from it, so I already know that the color isn't quite as good as what I have right now. Thank you for posting that info. [Smile]

--------------------

David M. Ice
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2019 09:41 AM      Profile for David M. Ice   Author's Homepage   Email David M. Ice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I worked on the Grizzly Adams TV show (second season, including the Christmas special.) I was a Sound Editor. I edited and even created some of the bear sounds. The bear in reality never made any noise...he was waiting for the trainer to throw him a marshmallow!! But our dictum was “see an animal, hear an animal” so every time the bear opened his mouth, he had to “speak”. A lot of 15ips recording, slowed down to 7.5ips or even 3.75ips and boost the bass, etc., to get Ben’s dialogue! I only got to physically meet the bear (if memory serves, his name was Bozo) once and he was a total ham! Pull out any camera and he started performing! And the bear TRULY did LOVE Dan Haggerty. The bear did things with Dad he wouldn’t do for anybody else. It was a mutual love affair, and it showed on screen. BTW the entire series was filmed in 16mm! No 35mm shooting, ever—except for the first feature, which if memory serves was shot in Techniscope. (“Mountain Man”??) Anyway, it was a surreal 18 months I spent up in Salt Lake City, editing bear dialogue and bird chirps, etc.

We cheated the sound a LOT. For example, rabbits don’t make any noise unless you step on them. So we got our supervisor drunk, and he would giggle. We recorded that, sped it up 4x, and you get a high-pitched purr sound...and that became the rabbit’s “dialogue.” And our dictum of “see an animal, hear an animal” made for some interesting edits. A close-up of a raven, for example. It’s beak never moved—so we’d put in a chirp on the eye blinks!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 25, 2019 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe ten years ago I became friends with Jack Ong, who appears on the first two reels of "When the North Wind Blows", the film which led to Dan Haggerty becoming Grizzly Adams.

The interesting animals in that one were Siberian tigers. Generally speaking these aren't man-eaters, but Jack was told never to turn his back on one: at an unpredictable moment one might decide to knock you down and take a chunk out of you!

(Just the idea of taking a domestic cat and making it at least 50 times as massive is a little scary and this includes the full set of wild instincts!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 25, 2019 10:22 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, any memories of Denver, #7 and Don Shanks?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2019 11:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUDE!!!!!

That bunch of memories was TOTALLY awesome!!!!

May I have you're permission to quote them seomtime in the future in an article?

Once again, many thanks!!! [Smile]

--------------------

David M. Ice
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2019 11:42 PM      Profile for David M. Ice   Author's Homepage   Email David M. Ice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, not sure if you're asking me, but yes you can quote me any time. I have tons of stories, including a few pranks we pulled in post production!! Joe, I never got to meet or work with Don Shanks or Denver Pyle. Never met #7 either.

I will say that the entire show was almost 100% looped (ADR dialogue re-recording) because location sound usually had generators, wind, jets flying overhead, etc. So as sound editors we had to do a 100% sound job, everything from footsteps to clothing rustle to you name it.

A couple of the stories are quite ribald, but one I can tell here is about the Christmas special. It was the only time they filmed in snow, and for the opening sequence Dan was supposed to play in the snow with the bear. Dan started throwing snowballs at Ben....who promptly chased him down, tackled him, then SAT on Dan and playfully threw snoballs in Dan's face! It was utterly unplanned and unexpected--but like I said, that bear LOVED Dan Haggarty, and Dan was laughing hysterically the whole time. The director just let the cameras roll (I think they were rolling at least 2 or 3) and the sequence is in the show. One of those "happy accidents" that happen once in a blue moon.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 30, 2019 04:53 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see the dvd set of the complete TV series is coming out in the UK ( R2 ) in April this year.

You can get the R1 one of the same for around £14/15 posted.

I expect the UK on will come down in price, but maybe not that far.

Best Mark.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Life-and-Times-of-Grizzly-Adams-The-Complete-Series-Box-Set-DVD/273129003322?hash=item3f97c1d93a:g:6AoAAOSwo3tauQ04:rk:2:pf:1

£51 on Amazon currently.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2019 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David! I love these stories!

If you could, please e-mail me and continue the stories if you wish! My e-mail address is ...

CXOSIR1@outlook.com

I already have the complete TV series. I was really happy to see this series released on DVD finally. It does vary from episode to episode, but it is on the whole, MUCH better than the bootleg ones that were originally available.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC