8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Vampire Circus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vampire Circus
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for the Derann 3 x 600ft release of Vampire Circus if anyone wants to part with their copy or knows of one that's available.

I would consider the Walton 4 x 400ft... any comments on the quality of this? I think the Derann would be a given; I don't know anything about the Walton release.

Thanks, John

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello!John,i do have the full lenght ofvampire circus from derann,but not for sale,the walton release a 400ft version and a 4x400ft the quality of image of the 4x400ft it,s good with good color i had this version before a got the full lenght from derann.but i must admit the full lenght has beter color ,it,s indeed a good horror movie,i also got this title on dvd,but i prefere the super 8 version,i wish you luck in your quest...

best:
luis caramelo

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2015 12:30 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Luis, maybe I'll do what you did and get the Walton if I can while keeping an eye out for the Derann!

I've not seen the film yet (though I have the a really good trailer). You've only got one chance to see a film for the first time, and I want the first time to be Super 8!

I showed the trailer to some friends and they're really keen to see it too, hence my search.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 02:17 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello john I also have the DERANN print but I found the sound
Not that good even when played on my Elmo st1200hd
Whether all prints are same I don't know in some scenes its hard to understand what's being said muffled ?

--------------------
t.smith

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 02, 2015 04:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It can often be the case Thomas, especially on some of the later pasted striped prints?

Is yours on pre striped stock or pasted stripe Thomas?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 12:05 PM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I've got the Walton 4x400ft of this film and I've had it for a long time - the last time I screened it - the colour and sound was excellent.

David

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 01:18 PM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the quality in super 8 it,s very inconstante,even prints from the same negative and lab,they proveid prints better than others,in my case the print full lenght it,s with very good color and a good sound clear and loud,i guess i had luck with my copie,but these kind of things happend very frequaly,..

regards;
luis caramelo

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2015 02:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew its pre stripe, colour is very good
Its okay but you have to turn volume up in some scenes

--------------------
t.smith

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

As I said in my earlier post the print which I bought second hand is still in immaculate condition with excellent colour and belting sound. Of course the running time is cut to around 72 minutes and I believe the full print is around 87 minutes. Some individuals on here might be able to give you a better rundown on the overall Walton cut - but I watch the print and thoroughly enjoy it. It has all the merits of a classic early 1970's hammer horror - some good gore, some nudity and a really good story. Hope you are lucky - and manage to get a print.

David

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't add much except that my Derann full feature is spectacular in every way. Sound is very good...color and sharpness as good as it gets.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2015 04:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feature print is superb in terms of print . Sound was very Good. The Walton 4x4 print tends to be much grainier plus whatever wear it has picked up from previous users.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2017 05:48 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still looking for the feature of this... Walton or Derann if anyone wants to part with it.

I also think that Walton produced a 400ft digest, which would keep me going until the feature comes up (I have the Castle Of Death extract, but not the 400ft extract).

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2017 03:07 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton also produced a 200ft extract which id virtually the entire pre-credit sequence, setting up the story. I believe it is slightly edited.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2017 09:14 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian, I have the 200ft with beautiful colour! It's just the rest I'm after.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 12, 2017 03:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
The Walton 400' follows on from the 200' so if you can find it, it would make a nice substitute while you are waiting for a longer one. If I remember rightly from when I had a copy, the 400' actually has the edge in quality over the Walton 4 x 400' and compares favourably with the Derann feature. The Derann feature has some brief and minor indications of deterioration to the negative, but I'm sure you would be delighted with it if you found one of the better copies. Similarly, the film has it's faults but overall it's stylish and entertaining.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rene Ruppert
Junior

- posted January 13, 2017 02:20 AM      Profile for Rene Ruppert   Email Rene Ruppert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a full-length print for sale on German site mediavana.de:

http://www.mediavana.de/item.php?SESSION_ID=04d182b6be2495ef0a90a3122527828d&id=27960

"Umkehrkopie" means "colour reversal" - probably it's not the Derann version. The condition is described as perfect ("Bestzustand").

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rene, I checked with the seller and it's in German language so it's not suitable for me.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2017 05:06 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I found the 400ft Walton release of Vampire Circus, to keep me going, but still looking for the full feature... Walton or Derann.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 08:38 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at long last I found a copy of the Walton 4 x 400ft version of VAMPIRE CIRCUS! It was a nice clean print with good colour and no lines. Still on the lookout for the Derann though.

I'd not seen the full feature before - what a great, stylish film from Hammer.

I checked the running time and give or take a few seconds it was exactly 72 minutes long. Where the Walton 4x400 footers edited so they were exactly 72 minutes?

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 09:36 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

No not really, it was usually a maximum of 72 to 74 minutes for a 4x400' edition, it was all according to the original running time, as a minimum of 20% running time had to be excised from the cut, so anything around 90 minutes got a 72 minute cut, but some of the movies only run around the 64-66 minute mark as they ran less than 90 minutes in there original form.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 09:55 AM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry. It's the first time I had the stopwatch out and was surprised when the first 800ft came in at exactly 36 minutes and then the second 800ft was only about 7 seconds over 36 minutes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC