8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted: Modern Times

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Modern Times
Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm hoping to acquire a Super 8 sound print of Chaplin's 'Modern Times'. Should anyone be willing to part with theirs, please let me know.

I recently purchased an 8mm print but unfortunately as my dum-dum brain thought Standard was equivalent to Single 8 (wadda-ya-know it's not), this has proved a fruitless transaction. Getting a Standard sound projector in Japan seems to be pretty tough (can't find a working one on Yahoo Auctions), and I am thus still in the market for a nice Super 8 print.

Anyway, enough with the unnecessary exposition. I'll get my coat..

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2016 01:50 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you with a super 8 print but your post is intriguing. Do you mean there is actually such a thing as a full length standard 8mm sound print of Modern Times ?

Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 09:08 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told it is sound, though not having a projector means I am in no position to confirm this.

Here's a link to the original listing with close-ups of the film itself:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODERN-TIMES-CHARLIE-CHAPLIN-SOUND-B-W -STANDARD-8MM-FEATURE-FILM-1936-8-MM-/172163581249

It was listed as such but with the seller also noting they had not checked the soundtrack.

Would a sound Standard 8 be something out of the ordinary? Unique, perhaps? Worth a buzillion gazillion dollars, maybe?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 12, 2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is definitely a soundtrack on this 8 mm film. I don't know for this specific title but otherise, it is not uncommon to find sound 8 mm copies.

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Peter, Standard 8 sound prints are numerous and often better picture quality than the Super 8 versions...I have had and still have many....Not too long ago I sold my Standard 8 print of PSYCHO which rivaled any 16mm print. That is why the Eumig 800 series projectors are so valuable to playback the standard 8 sound films.....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2016 01:22 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just noticed a Eumig 824 has come up on Yahoo Auctions. Very tempted to purchase in order to take a look at the print despite the lack of confirmation the projector is fully functional.

Gonna have to do my best to persuade the wife, I suppose. Problem with living in urban Japan is I have a very limited number of places to 'hide' these things from her [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 13, 2016 03:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found a decent eternity ring usually solves the problem here Peter...say 3/4 carat and upwards! Ha ha.

Usually then, a female of the species, will allow you to share the linen box. [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2016 05:43 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

I can't help you with a S8 print of this title, but if you decide to offload this R8 print, I would happily buy it from you.

Having said that, the Eumig 824 would be a good choice for Standard 8 sound prints. These machines are not particularly bulky either...

I still like playing R8. A lot of the Blackhawk R8 prints are incredibly sharp and have fantastic contrast.

- Rob

Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2016 12:01 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Good to know!

We'll see what happens.. [Smile]

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2016 05:31 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Peter,
last year I´ve bought the full feature of Hitchcock´s PSYCHO on Standard 8 (distributed by Derann) and was looking for a good machine since then. I tried 2 different EUMIG machines and I was unsatisfied with both: bad sound results and the image was shaking and unstable. Now I bought a BAUER T 192, a very small machine (looks like a projector for kids) with a great sound and a very stable image. I really was surprised. You can find them on eBay.de for 60 to 120 Euros and because of the weight of the little machine the shipping can´t be too expensive.
Keep Your Standard 8 print; my PSYCHO is much sharper than some Super-8-features. And Your MODERN TIMES print seems to be too! And: yes, there is definitely a soundstripe on Your print.
All the best,
Oliver

Peter Harrison
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2016 02:37 AM      Profile for Peter Harrison   Email Peter Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the information, Oliver!

I'll keep an eye out for the projector you mention. I think I will indeed hang onto the print for now. Even if I have to wait until I next move for it to be practical, I'd really like to see it up and running.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 17, 2016 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the trailer!!! Quite rare! It's actually the re-release trailer, but i don't know whaen the re-release took place.

[ May 21, 2016, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC