8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Eumig S940 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S940
Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
having read several reviews on this forum, I have decided that I want an S940 (or S938) for home showings.
There are a couple of S940's on an Austrian S8 site.
Can anyone tell me if they can be converted to run on the British power system, and what would this involve?
Having not done this before am I better biding my time until one comes available in the UK? (Yes Iknow there's a S938 on Ebay) [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 14, 2006 02:58 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,
There is someone in the UK who has one for sale. He wants 300-400 Sterling for it. He has broken his arm so he is finding it very difficult to actually ship it! I have been waiting for him to reply but he may cut you a better deal if you go and pick it up from him. If you can email me direct I can give you contact info for him.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 14, 2006 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave, good luck in your effort to get a 938/940. You will not be disappointed, they are great machines. If you can, try and get a top-notch f1.0 lens to fit in this machine. You will see a huge difference in brightness and sharpness.
In my opinion you are buying the best sounding super 8 projector that was ever marketed. Plug it into a stereo system with good speakers and it will blow you away! Keep your films clean and lubricated, and your projector spotlessly clean, and you will minimize wear on those delicate sound heads. Always switch the knob to the 6-0'clock (silent)position when showing silent films-this removes the mechanical pressure and wear on the sound heads.

Alan- maybe that guy in the UK broke his arm trying to lift a GS1200!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan/Paul,
thanx for your thoughts.
Alan, don't seem able to email you?
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2006 07:18 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you may have seen,ive just purchased the 938 model off e bay,and if i can sort out the judder,then i think £39 quite a good price,even if i have to get it fixed via the contact Barry mentions.
Paul,ive tried your suggestion to fix the judder,but dont think its going to work,but thanks anyway.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2006 09:31 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Try greasing the cam-it's worth a shot before you send it for repair.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of grease Paul?
thanks again.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 16, 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the $64,000 question Dave, and a subject of constant discussion on this forum. What kind of grease can be used with plastics? My suggestion would be a non-petroleum based grease, such as a silicone or Lithium grease. For a quick try to see if this is going to solve your problem, try a dab of vaseline, which has never been known to hurt anything.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul.
Have I got this completely and utterly butterly wrong? I thought Vaseline was a petroleum jelly??? [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 16, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Here we go again...
(For what it's worth, you'll find in the WD40 line of product a silicone-based lubricant adapted to plastic parts and micro-mecanisms.)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 16, 2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your'e absolutely right Tony! But a dab of vaseline has never hurt anything on my projectors in 30 years. Of course there are much better lubricants available, but if you want to quickly try something that is commonly in the house, this might be worth a go.
I don't think this forum has ever resolved the question of a safe easily available lubricant for movie projectors.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2006 01:30 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc

Whatever do you mean [Eek!] Don't mention the **40

Sorry Paul, there had to be one smart ass on the forum [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 18, 2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, have you tried olive oil? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J-M

Yes, but mostly in cooking. Is extra virgin better? Been a long time since I had one of those. [Cool]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 18, 2006 05:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it gives an extra mediterranean smell to the films. It's ideal when you're screening The Godfather. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up North, we use Lard [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
no reply from the one armed S940 seller in th UK.
There is one on Ebay though:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9118497185&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
My French (and that of Google) is a bit rusty; is he saying that the take up spool is included?
And to my original question; would it be "easy" to convert to UK power supply?

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 23, 2006 01:27 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,
He probably couldn't answer email because his typing hand is broken! [Smile]
Someone can correct me if Im wrong but I do believe that the unit is multi voltage so you should be able to use it as is.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan,
So I would just need to fit a British plug and Hey Presto?
if that's the case, presumably the speaker output sockets would be different; would it, therefore just be a case of changing the connectors on my speakers?

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 23, 2006 03:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan is right. I checked the instruction manual on my Eumig S938 ( which is essentially the same machine as the 940) and it clearly describes how to switch the transformer terminals to set for different mains voltages. There is also provision to change the machine for different supply frequencies if necessary. One nice thing about Eumig - they made their projectors to be operable anywhere in the world. [Smile]
The speaker sockets use the readily available 2-pin DIN plugs, which can be found at any good electronics store.
So all you need Dave, is a mains adaptor plug to adapt the existing plug on the lead to the bulky UK plug. Then just make absolutely sure that you have got the transformer set to 230 volts before you plug it in.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan/Paul,
Great, thanx very much!
Dave [Smile]

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Since I'm looking to buy a S940 from mainland Europe, I found a couple of sites that I found useful (though many of you probably know these already):
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/
This is a site that produces copies of manuals and test reports.
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
This site gives the voltages and frequencies of the worlds different countries.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
just tried my newly arrived S940 after doing the most basic of cleaning.
When I switch to project, it seems to take several seconds for the take up spool to get up to speed; is this normal?
I'm using the 800ft spool supplied; is it the weight of this?Once up to speed I thread the film and it projects without a problem.
Is this something to do with the power supply; the UK system is 230v, but this is not an option on the S940, only 220v & 240v. I set it at 240v because this used to be the UK voltage.
Is it worth me changing to 220v?

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
false alarm; after the first few minutes it's now running like a dream. Perhaps it had not been used for some time?
PS Alan, the one armed S940 seller has been in touch about selling his machine. I suggested he try this forum first before putting it on Ebay.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2006 11:29 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, does anyone know how much these sold for new in 1981? [Confused]

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC