8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » "THINGUMAJIG"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "THINGUMAJIG"
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or in other words, the plastic "C" clip with small spikes that clips around the centre of a film reel to grab the sprocket holes of the film. - - Know what I mean?

If anyone knows where they can be had, as I need quite a few, I'd be really grateful. Also, if anyone knows exactly what they are called, that would be helpful too.

Many thanks,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2008 07:51 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

are you looking for a "Spulenadapter S8 / 16mm", a "Spulenadapter S8 / N8" or a "Film-Halteclip S8 / N8" as seen here: http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/07_vorfu/a_allgem.php?

Or are you looking for the "Simplex-Klemme" (the red plastic part in this reel):
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katalog/01_archi/grafiken/1004_g.jpg

Or maybe my English is too bad?

Jörg

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joerg,

Thank you for your reply; but I think you have mis-understood. It is neither of the items you have suggested. I will try to explain in a little more detail.

It is a strip of plastic, a quarter of an inch wide, about a sixteenth of an inch thick, formed into the shape of the letter C, and long enough to clip around the centre hub of a film reel. It has small plastic spikes protruding out of it.

When you thread a film through the projector and onto the take-up reel, these spikes engage the sprocket holes in the film so that the film grips firmly without slipping, and begins to feed onto the take-up reel immediately.

Two types are available, one for regular 8mm and super 8, and one for 16mm.

They are extremely useful and catch the film every time.

I hope you understand.

With kindest regards,

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2008 09:17 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a source for these little items.

Lees Cameras, Holborn, London.

They don't actually advertise them, but having trawled through their website, I decided to give them a call.

£5.00 for a pack of 8. More than I reckon they're worth, but cheaper than new reels!

--------------------
Dave.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2008 06:22 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

so what's their "official" name?

Jörg

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2008 09:42 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SINCERE APOLOGIES - I'M GETTING MIXED UP NOW - BACK TO SQUARE ONE! [Confused] [Confused] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

The "THINGUMAJIG" is NOT what I have just found the source of supply for. The thingumajig still illudes me. [Frown] [Frown]

What I have found from Lees Cameras is the centre adapter for converting super 8 reels to standard 8 fitting!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm really sorry, but I entered my last post under the wrong thread - proof that it can happen to even the best of us - lol.

--------------------
Dave.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats wrong with attacing to spool manually? I have never seen these things as seperate items.Eumig spools were however moulded with the 'sprocket hole grabbers' already in situ.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2008 05:26 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with that, Barry, except it's a simple way of converting a non-automatic take-up reel to an automatic one. This can be useful if you've got several compatible tape recorder reels, and want to use them for film.

Anyway, here's a photo. It's just a plastic clip with teeth on the outside, which clips onto the centre of the reel! It's a bit difficult to actually see the teeth, but there are a couple which show up quite distinctly on the right hand side.

-

--------------------
Dave.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing! I'm 44 years old and have had 8mm and 16mm since I was 14 and I have never heard of these. I don't mind threading manually, though. I have a Posso take-up 600ft reel which never misses, actually.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 04, 2008 04:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My automatic reels never miss, either - it's the FILM that keeps missing THEM! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC