8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo Zoom 1.1 $75

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Zoom 1.1 $75
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 12:32 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am selling off my Elmo f1.1 zoom lens for $75 since I the 1.0 if anyone is interested.... you can email me at aytab_at_aol_dot_com or pm me

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 14, 2012 01:01 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino that is a steal price. But before you are getting upset with 1.0 there is downside with this lens about focus.

That is what I heard. I am not sure what is the point but do search in this forum and you will find it.

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hang on to that lens dino i sent you a pm

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 11:18 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens is now sold, but don't worry I am not leaving myself with the 1.0 or nothing.. My GS-1200 came with a 1.1 and since I don't see myself watching two things on two projectors at the same time, I now have the option of the 1.1 or the 1.0 on either of my elmo's so there was no need to have 2 x 1.1 lenses.....Did that make sense?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 15, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Did Akshay buy it.... [Wink]

Hopefully he read this offer as he was looking for it.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert .... [Big Grin] .... Yes. I did buy it. What is it with me and good lenses on the forum?!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 15, 2012 12:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know the lens goes to one of us.

You will see the huge different between 1.3 and 1.1. Once you play with 1.1 you will never return to 1.3.

I don't know what 1.0 will give to us, maybe Dino can make us a review?

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2012 12:48 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These 1.1 and 1.0 lenses have been hyped through the roofs!

Generally, I can convince my wife on most purchases around this hobby. I haven't been able to do so here. We are both wondering if any brightness and sharpness beyond that given by the 1.3 is really necessary. I do hope Dino accepts returns. [Big Grin]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 01:27 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the lens today andd it is in fantastic shape. Thanks for this, Dino.

We even watched a sound print of The Phantom of the Opera. What a feature! This was the first time we were watching it. Superb!

Now, I had a focusing issue tonight. I felt that for larger images (greater zoom?), I want to turn the focus knob anti-clockwise to slide the lens further into the slot to get a sharper image... but the lens was as inside as it could slide! If I reduce the image size a little, the focus is sharp enough to satisfy me.

Anyone else have the same issue? Or is it just me being paranoid?

A search on the forum revealed focus issues on the Elmo projectors. Maybe I'll just get one of those Chinon projectors with optical and magnetic sound capability in future sometime.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 02:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay...I'm not sure...I have never really had a problem with the 1.1 lenses. Obviously if you open the zoom out all the way it won't be as sharp. I don't think that is elmo specific so much as optical reality...Kind of like the sound. It allows you to turn it all the way as loud as it will go, but the sound probably won't be as clear..But I will happily take it back if you are not satisfied.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 07:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, didn't you post previously that you cannot zoom in/out with the old lens. It seems to me that the previous problem is not on your lens, but the focus knob on your projector has broken.

There is somekind of springs inside the Elmo focus knob that might have been missing from your projector.

Indeed the only way to get sharper image now is by zooming in/out your lens because that is basically the same principle with turning the focus knob (only now the inside lens that is moving forward/backward instead of the body of the lens when you use the focus knob)

my 2 cents though,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, thanks for your offer of accepting a return, but I didn't hint at that. Am just trying to understand things better, that's all. Moving on, your logic on the zoom and analogy with sound makes perfect sense and is probably what's happening.

Winbert, how can the focus knob be broken? Both my lenses, 1.1 and 1.3, slide in and out. I know my 1.3 can't zoom because I took it out and however much I twist, it doesn't turn.

Finally, I forgot to mention that I didn't notice any significant increase in brightness. In fact, now the bulb settings of high and low are more or less equal. Anything to add regarding brightness?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 18, 2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay,

Now I remembered exactly your previous problem that the lens could not zoom in/out not the knob thingy.

Regarding the knob, I had 3 Elmos came with the same problem. I dissembled the knob and found there was a small fragile plastic inside that could break easily.

Power gluing will deal this problem but mostly will not last long. I don't know if there's someone selling only this part because it is better to have a new one.

Maybe other can chime in.

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 06:15 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first made the switch from the 1.3 to the 1.1 I noticed a substantial difference. It was one that i never wanted to go back from. The key with lenses is brightness and sharpness, and I would advise you to use the lenses that fills both those criteria the best for you.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I just put the new lens in and watched the movie. I should have flipped between two lenses during projection just to see if I felt a difference. I will do it tonight.

When science and everyone concur on the 1.1 being sharper and brighter than the 1.3, how can it not be true?

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay, I have owned both the 1.0 and the 1.1 ~ I prefered the 1.1 , the 1.1 appears to be sharper and holds the focus much better... Plus the 1.0 is way over priced because of all the rave. If you ger into collecting scope prints, then the 1.0 might be better. But with flat prints the 1.1 is the way to go....

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 07:17 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot that I had to write in here. The lens is superb! Sreenshots of Fantasia 2000 in the print review section are from this 1.1 lens. The image is sharper in comparison to the 1.3, but the brightness for both lens seems about the same.

Now I don't know much about optics but Dino's logic of focus on max zoom seems correct. I couldn't get as sharp an image on max zoom as I could with slightly lesser zoom.

All in all am happy. Thanks very much, Dino.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2012 11:32 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay
you are very welcome, and happy it has a good home. NOW [Smile] Akshay and I have agreed the lens discussion is closed [Smile]

Also thank you so much for the little package Akshay it arrived today and you are correct I did not have that one [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC