8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » WANTED...DUAL SOUND PROJECTOR WITH THROUGH-GATE FAST REWIND

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED...DUAL SOUND PROJECTOR WITH THROUGH-GATE FAST REWIND
Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 12:03 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Do you have a projector for sale that takes std/super8, with sound, that has a fast through-gate rewind?
Models like the Eumig 610d are good, but only play at 18fps and have no sound. The Agfa Sonnector LS series is good too, though doesn't take std8.
Even if you don't have one for sale, do you know of a model that would fit the bill? Thanks for your time, UK only.

--------------------
Ron

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ron,why would you want a fast rewind through the gate,
something I must admit I've never heard of in 8mm.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, dual format machines produced by Silma in the late 70s, such as the Silma S233 or the Bauer T180, were *supposedly* able to rewind through the film path. They were designed with an unclutch system and lacked the top/feeder sprocket wheel, therefore had sometimes stability/loss of loop issues. Films were driven through the gate only by the claw. The other problem was the fixed (ie - 18 frames separation) sound loop which was fine in super 8 but not for standard 8 (requiring 56 frames). The frame difference was cleverly dealt with on Eumig sound projectors of the "D" series (such as S7XX or S8XX) but it was unwise to rewind through the gate.
One projector that had a great projection and rewind system was the Elmo SC30 (of the built-in screen series). It featured a counter and marker switches, allowing you to decide wich part of the film you wanted to show "endlessly" (ideal for trade shows and commercial presentations). The projector would start the film at marker 1, then project until it reached marker 2, stop, rewind back to marker 1 and project again. And so on... But it was only available in super 8.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Eumig 501 that does this I think, but it is a dual silent machine and sprocketless.I personally wouldn't advise an operation like this as I would imagine that it's very unkind to film.

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2012 05:08 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen. Yes Hugh, that Eumig does exactly the job, but without sound (and I think only 18fps).
I've inherited boxes of 200' films that are in a very disorganised state, so I've got to identify what's what...films in wrong boxes...multi-part films with only certain parts, some parts with no leader, awkward to say the least! With many, playing in to the titles is enough to identify the film, then we wish to rewind and load another spool, hopefully rewinding at speed! We've used the Agfa, which has now lost power to the spindles(?) and we need a replacement.

--------------------
Ron

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ron,would an editor be as useful,there was one with sound
being sold on here a few days ago although I think it was just S/8.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 12:52 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron I think what is being said though is that by doing what you are desiring, you run the risk of potentially ruining all of the reels you wish to check, by fast rewinding them in the projector...You smart move is to look for editors that will allow you to simply remove the film and rewind safely once identified.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Hugh, I've now got an editor, and a superb little number it is too! Thanks too Dino, though i do wonder at Eumig and Agfa offering such through-date rewinding at speed if it wasn't safe for film? Take the point though, but my film is far more at rish from dodgy mechanical sprockets from the Eumig 807 range, no matter how careful I am! Thanks all, still keen to purchase a new unit though [Smile]

--------------------
Ron

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC