8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo ST1200 for sale unbelievable (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Elmo ST1200 for sale unbelievable
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 04:03 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thought" or throughout Tom?.. only kidding pal [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 04, 2015 11:12 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] now corrected [Big Grin]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re elmo this projector has had a intense service ,by bill parsons so that it self should be enough ststes in the add runs well with good sound no nasty cracks etc any questions then you can email me .if projector does not sell has I am fed up with people saying they are no good etc and some say they are so I don't know what to believe as I know nothing about these but did run a film through it and was quite surprised ,if it does not sell I am going to get my son to video me smashing it up with a hammer then I will put it on you tube for all you super 8 fans

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 01:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your raffle idea David was a better one than making a video of this being broken into into a million pieces.

Would seem a real shame after Mr Parsons hard work restoring it back to decent serviceable condition.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"if it does not sell going to put it in a raffle at blackpool and sell tickets £1.00 each and winner takes the elmo" That would definitly be a better idea, as Andrew says.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 03:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique, I was looking into the model being sold at the shop you mentioned for 450 Euros in Paris.

It appears to be just the standard ST1200 mag/opt model, so goodness only knows how much they would place the value of a HD model like Davids at!
Especially as it it has had a recent professional service.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 04:59 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no doubt that David's projector is more than good value for money.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 06:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

"Making a video of this being broken up into a million pieces" and posting it on you-tube.

That's nothing more than straight out "vandalism".....and putting it on you-tube...well what would that prove?....those are unbelievable comments.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 06:26 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
decided to keep it now for the raffle at blackpool. if it does not get sold. I have put on ebay at a revised price ,if it does not sell some One will win it for a £1.00

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 05, 2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I am certain many will agree, especially as David is an event organizer for all things Cine.
It does seem a strange gesture I must admit, as the rest of us work daily I'm sure, just to preserve our precious films and projectors, i know I do.

At the end of the day I for one am very frustrated that this didn't sell for David. Why?.... Well certainly not because I am any advocate for these machines given their track record with my films!

No, just because for every one instance I have ever pointed out that these machines leave a lot to be desired in their film handling department,I have received a barrage of complaints because I know so many (for whatever reason) remain completely loyal to these and the GS1200.

It would seem they talk the talk but do they walk the walk?

Had this been a mint T610 or 708,.... money or no money, I'd have found a way to seeing it survive the hammer treatment!

[ July 06, 2015, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 12:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, David for having choosen the raffle option. The "hammer message" was maybe British humour :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 03:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's hoping! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 06:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does have to said that like all things in life some people love them others dont but, we have had many over the years and they were and are among the most popular projectors on the market.
My own main use HD is at least 30 years old and still going strong, its been serviced by Bill Parsons but has also had the shutter replaced with one that was lathed on its edge to make it flat after having the outer rubber removed and all the belts replaced. It is a great machine along with the other 3 we have, we did go out of our way to obtain the HD version not just the 1200 version. Admittedly they have along the way caused the slight far right line,(but out of well over 300 films this has only happened to a dozen or so), as these machines can do,but any film we have that has any serious scratches were caused by previous owners probably with poorly maintained machines.
I am looking myself for a good Bauer in order to replace one of our Elmo's but rest assured there's nothing wrong with Elmo.
I guess the only one i would love to own but unfortunately wont is the GS1200, i think you need to be able to look after these yourself because even the experts say they are fine when working but a over engineered.
Bell and Howell is a good example of one projector ive always avoided, we once had a B&H filmosonic sound and it put green tramlines down the middle right of a brand new 400 foot copy of Texas chainsaw massacre, suffice to say we took it back to the supplier and got it exchanged for a eumig 810DLUX and also claimed a new copy of the film after much arguing with the dealer here in Plymouth. However, others will probably swear by the B&H model we had.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was rather looking forward to seeing the video of it being smashed up, love a good Hammer Horror! !! Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2015 08:34 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mine too has the the shutter replaced and relathed

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 09:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before smashing or put in on a raffle ticket,just do a relisting and make 9.99 as a starting price and you will see the result. Many not sold items in ebay due to the starting price. Some were even ended far more than its buy it now price (if any)

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 10:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, your dozen or so will become none when you get your Bauer.
Just look after the cam and claw follower by getting the correct lube and doing timely interventions and you can run even your most valuable prints as often as you like with absolutely no fears whatsoever.

Also with no surgical standards of hygiene and lengthy cleaning rituals required.

The best money I've ever spent on this hobby.

[ July 06, 2015, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In computer, some people say "Mac", some say "PC"
In photographic arena, some declare "Nikon", some declare "Canon"
When ordering burger, some prefer "McD", some choose "Burger King"

it is a never ending story until the doomsday comes.

...and we are (at least I am) tired of listening to those insisted that his/her choice was the best.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 06, 2015 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great old friend of mine called people who love GSs and STs "Elmoaners". (He was of the Viennese Persuasion himself.)

I have to confess I have become one in the years since he left us: I like the way Elmos perform, and I appreciate how they are put together.

-but every so often, when nobody is looking, I dabble in Eumigism. They have a certain funkiness to them, yet they just keep working year after year. I can't even explain why, since I rarely have ever taken one apart.

There are places in this country where Chevy Guys and Ford Guys are busting bar stools over each other's heads after a few beers too many.

-let's not be like that here.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 03:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Winbert and Steve, after all they all project Super 8 film so how can I or anyone else dislike any of them ultimately!

Well maybe Cinerex & Imac but let's no go there lol..but no you're both right, they're all works of art and our pride and joy ultimately! [Smile]

Every machine, as said on many occasions, has pro's and cons, it's just a case of which "what count factors" you place the highest, and of course what features it has to suit an individuals overall requirements.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 05:54 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if the rubber on the shutter is fixed? Or if it's a model with no rubber (doesn't that exist?)

I could take it, if the rubber is okay. Unless it's sold

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always preferred the model with no rubber, all the ones we bought with rubber ended up having to get it removed. It was obviously put on to make it run quitter but I cant say there's that much difference.
I had one HD without and two with, now none have got it.
Once removed though it does alter slightly the FPS rate so John White who did the exchange shutter,(old rubbery one with nice new machined one) also did a replacement lower pulley which was also machine slightly to compensate for the difference. I myself also had new alloy lower shutters made.
[Wink]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 07:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Going off Davids last statement Vidar, the shutter belt has been removed and then the outer diameter of the shutter wheel has been "turned" on a Lathe to give a precise flat machined surface for the drive wheels to run on.

Try contacting him Vidar, you may prevent the raffle! [Wink]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting topic. I feel that if this were sold here in the states it would have sold no problem. We are always on the lookout for fully serviced machines and the mighty Elmo, yes I believe it is a mighty machine, is truly spectacular. I remember when it was reviewed by Lenny Lipton for his super 8 book he said:
"The image and sound are greater than anything else I have ever seen or heard. With the f/1.4, 25 to 50mm zoom projection lens ($150), the image is brighter and sharper out to the corners than any other off-the-shelf super 8 projector. And the sound is superb."
Well this was before the GS1200 or the Bauer or the Beaulieu or the Eumig top of the range. But I think if you measure it up against the other simpler machines, Bell and Howells, run of the mill Sankyo's, and the Chinons, this will still hold true.
The last one I had was not even an HD model and with the 1.0 lens or the Schneider 1.1 .. the image was really on par with the GS1200. However because of the simplistic rugged basic design, you get the feeling that no matter what happens with the ST, you will always be able to fix it. Sometimes with the GS you feel that if it goes down one day...it may go down for good!!
I had a machine that had the rubber belt and it melted too. I ran it without and it was rougher and a little bit faster in speed as was mentioned. The machines that didn't have it to me were just as quiet and smooth.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 07, 2015 08:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Without doubt Alan, in the era it was originally manufactured, the ST 1200 was in a league of its own except perhaps for the excellent Fujicascope SH30 which is another that dates back to the early 70's.

It's interesting what you and Tom say there
Alan in regard to owning a GS1200 as those who can and do often fix these, seem to absolutely love them while those, like Tom, who by his own admission, prefers to seek professional help, have never been able to take the plunge to the top model. I suppose a lot depends on your electronic knowledge on the GS1200.

A once highly regarded and skilled forum member on here always says that as far as he's concerned, there is no GS 1200 that is beyond repair as all of the electronic parts are either still available or can be superseded by newer better alternatives.

My fear of owning one nowadays would be entirely concerning the motors as even the guides are now 3D replaceable.
3 different types of spare motors would be a lot to find I feel.

The MK3's are very nice machines though from the ones I've seen.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC