8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Star Wars Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars Super 8
Gabe Agoado
Junior

- posted August 05, 2015 11:30 PM      Profile for Gabe Agoado   Email Gabe Agoado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These ones always come up on Ebay, but I have no idea how to tell which versions are which scenes. I know it's possible to re-create a good chunk of the films when the various versions are put together in chronological order. Anyone have Star Wars Super-8 Color/Sound reels for sale with knowledge of what's on them? thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
i have the 2x400ft extracts, all put in the correct order of this film. It still only gives you around 35-40 minutes of the feature and most are at least starting to fade now due to the stock Ken films put these on in the era they were released.

If you want the colour to look as good as the Cinema release, the only way to go on Super 8mm is to purchase the full LPP Derann Feature film but for that you would need a very big wallet and very good eyes to spot one.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are completely new to the super 8 and haven't seen the extracts the first 400ft has Chewie and Han on the cover and is basically the capture and rescue of Leia. This is a great digest and one of the most popular releases on Super 8. Forget the eBay sellers saying RARE, etc. The second 400ft has the poster artwork and is basically the raid on the Death Star. The second extract is generally grainer picture quality but has not faded as much. Certainly I have a 2nd extract that is good accurate colour. The 2nd extract was also available in scope...

As I say they are not that rare and you shouldn't pay more that $50 US for either extract.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting you say the second extract can be found with better colour Steven!

I have to say on mine, there is no noticeable difference between any of the scenes throughout. The colour isn't bad, just not like what the feature would look like.

None of mine are in scope though so perhaps mine are earlier prints?

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 09:05 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have the 2nd extract in both flat and scope and the colour on both is good. I have two of the first extract and one is better than the other. So they vary.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 12:59 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at Star Wars in the review section....if I remember correctly there is a really good run down of all the different versions and their content by Rob Young. I just looked!

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were actually two different printings of the STAR WARS scope part 2!

One was the Ken Films STAR WARS part two in scope, but there was another release of this very same title, same edit, but that was released in the "Cineavision" process and I think that it was an official "Cineavision' release. I have only seen one of the "Cineavisions' pop up in all of these years, but I was certainly intrigued by it, to be sure.

My guess is that they used the Cineavision negative, but just came in on the iamge a little, as the Ken Films "Scope" STARWARS part 2 fills the whole super 8 frame with the scope image, where the CIneavision, of course, doesn't, (preserving the original 35MM anamorphic) ...

even with owning both STAR WARS super 8 scope features (Cineavision and Derann), and even having the Ken Films Scope Part 2, I certainly wouldn't pass up acquiring that Cienavision print, just for sake of having such a fun rarity, (as well as comparing the grain/sharpness of the Cienavsion, in comparison to the Ken Films scope version).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gabe Agoado
Junior

- posted August 06, 2015 02:35 PM      Profile for Gabe Agoado   Email Gabe Agoado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was not aware at all of the "derann" versions, if it was possible to find longer prints of films on super 8. This is good to know, that I'm not stuck trying to piece together the selected scenes ones, thanks.

Do you need a modified/different projector to run the cinemascope film or does a standard super 8 sound projector work for that?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You just need an anamorphic lens Gabe. It sits in front of your projector lens and makes the image twice as wide as what it would otherwise be.

Scope films are "squeezed" so that they only appear correct when using a scope lens.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 06, 2015 05:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some projectors have holes designed to hold scope brackets, otherwise you can use a stand. That's of course an investment. Be aware that many cheap scope lenses on sale on EBay are made for 35 mm projectors.

--------------------
Dominique

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2015 09:06 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny,
When I went to search for some info on super 8 scope to share with Gabe to help answer his question above, I typed Super 8 Scope in google search and Osi's picture comes up in the top 10 or 15 pics [Smile] Here is a book on Super 8 scope for those who want some in depth info: http://en.atollmedien.de/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Gabe Agoado
Junior

- posted August 07, 2015 12:04 AM      Profile for Gabe Agoado   Email Gabe Agoado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a cool book, I will definitely check it out.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 07, 2015 12:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and here's the last battle sequence from my STAR WARS super 8 scope ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDcrYl9NeMA

That was a bugger to get up there looking like the actual color of the print, as anything I photograph with my camera OR my FLIP camera tends to look red, so I had to do a little "color restoration" in my PC, but you can still unfortunately see some slight redness in the blacks, which doesn't exist in the actual print. it looks great ... one of the few digests that I still have, (along with German version of the Empire Strikes Back part 1 ... same edit as the US version, but better color).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC