8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Star Wars Ken vs. Marketing. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Wars Ken vs. Marketing.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2011 05:02 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know that too, Osi, but in the top left corner of the box covers you can see they are licenced from Ken Films...suggests they are short versions of the Ken releases, but hopefully I'm wrong!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yoicks and away! (thump!)

The merry chase is on for more rare STAR WARS!

trivia question ...

What is the first statement on this post from? (Think Warners cartoons!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2011 03:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hood Daffy 1958!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Now, just off to look at Japanese ebay... (thump?) [Wink] [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!

However, I really can't join up with you Rob, I'm just not convinced your Robin Hood!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2011 04:13 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great "Star Wars" review. I don't know about the German versions but I do have something to add. The reviewer talked about the differences between the Ken and Marketing versions of this film. It was not mentioned that Ken released two different 400ft versions of Part 1. I recently picked up two copies of Part 1 (Ken F48). One ran 17 min. and the other was nearly 20 min. The Ken Films catalog I have shows that "Star Wars" was available in "D" (b&w silent 11 min.), "F" (color silent 11 min.), and "G" (color sound 11 min.). It looks like they forgot to list "H" (color sound 16 min.) and "K" (color sound 18 min.).

The first 7 min. are exactly the same for both. These are the differences:

The scene in Obi-Wan's hut in the shorter version starts with Luke asking "How did my father die?" Obi-Wan explains and finishes with the line "Now the Jedi are all but extinct." Cut to Obi-Wan playing Leia's message. After, he says "You must learn the ways of the Force if you're to come with me to Alderaan." Luke says "Alderaan?". Obi-Wan then says "You must do what you feel is right, of course."

In the longer version, this scene is extended and includes Obi-Wan giving Luke the lightsaber, explaining about the Force and Luke saying "I can't get involved!".

In the shorter version, the Millennium Falcon blasts out of the Death Star. Cut to Luke in the gunport and the battle begins.

In the longer version, The Falcon speeds away from the Death Star. Luke grieves for Obi-Wan. Leia comforts him. Han says "We're coming up on the sentry ships. Hold 'em off! Angle the deflector shields while I charge up the main guns!" Han then runs down to the hold area and says to Luke, "Come on, buddy, we're not out of this yet! " Han goes to his gunport. Luke throws off the blanket and Leia heads for the cockpit. Luke climbs down the ladder into the gunport cockpit.

The rest of the battle between the Falcon and the TIE fighters is the same for both digests to the end. According the the catalog, "H" films cost $50 and "K" was $55. So, for $5 you got two more min. of film.

What I find interesting is that the original review states that the extended scene with Obi-Wan from the Ken version is as I described but the scene inside the Falcon is from the Marketing version. Does this mean there was a third version?! Can anyone here tell us for sure?

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 200' STAR WARS from Ken was later expanded into the 400' "Volume 1." (At the time there was no Volume 2.) The 400' shortened the two scenes you mentioned--the hut, and the in the Falcon after escaping the Death Star. Presumably they did this to tighten things up and make room for other footage. My first thought was that the version you have was doctored by a collector to include the footage that was unique to the 200', but I suppose it is POSSIBLE that Ken did it themselves, perhaps in response to customer complaints. That would be a highly unusual move for them, though.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2011 12:12 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I've never seen it so I didn't know that both of those extended scenes were part of the 200'. I examined the film and found no splices. I do know that if Ken or anyone else was planning to add more scenes to this longer version, they couldn't. The film is at the edge of the reel now. So, what about the red Ken catalog? The only films listed are the color and b&w '200 versions. I always thought the '400 came out before these. I also don't if the longer version came out later or at the same time. Either way, good for them for releasing both. I'm now wondering if these extended scenes are in the two parter re-edit that's up right now on eBay. I'm going to ask them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230676223863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, really interesting, thanks for that info!

There were slightly different versions of Empire Pt.1, so it is possible that Ken released a slightly different version of Star Wars Pt.1 too.

Darn, now I have to find a copy of that longer version as well! [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 25, 2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Very interesting. As Marshall said, the 200' cutdown came out before the 400' version. I should point out that the "K" category in the red Ken flyer was created exclusively for the Elvis Presley digests which ran a bit longer than the Ken's other releases. The next year they eliminated the "K" and grouped the Presley films with the other 400 footers under "H".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. There were different versions of Empire Pt.1? Noooooooooo! That's impossible! [Smile]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2011 04:43 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Chris! But search your feelings...you know it to be true!

Yes I've two prints of Empire which vary slightly. In one, after Luke is attacked by the Wampa, Ken added a quick fade to black before finding Luke lying in the snow and his vision of Obi-Wan. In the other version, there is just a straight cut to Luke lifting his head.

At the end of the reel, after the tie-fighters have been destroyed in the asteroid belt, you see the Falcon enter the huge asteroid and Leia and Han's lines, "I hope you know what you're doing", "yeah, me too..."
The other version just fades out as the Falcon begins the back flip into the asteroid.

Opinions on the forum are that the shorter version was actually produced later and is simply the result of short sections being removed due to negative wear. I suppose that would make some sense.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting. Then what I have is the longer one. Sorry, film. Longer film. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 26, 2011 01:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite interesting on those subtle changes. I've never seen the "quick cut" version, only the slight fade out after the Wampa attacks.

I must give credit where credit is due. It was due to Rob's excellent review of his edit of STAR WARS that encouraged me to seek out a German marketing version of this digest and he was right, the color is absloutely gorgeous and well saturated on the German print ...

... and ...

many of those German prints were on fuji or agfa, so it is possible to find an excellent color print of this digest. Mt copy is a Kodak SP version of this with the ever slightest fade, but the color, even with that slight fade, is better than on the Ken Films US edition.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2011 02:33 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you are so lucky. Both my Ken "Star Wars" Part 1 and, especially, my "Empire" Part 1 are really faded. And, not only is my "Star Wars" Part 2 faded but, being a former library copy, it has lines from hell. I hope to find a better one someday. The bright spot in all this is my copy of "Empire" part 2. Brilliant color. No lines at all. In fact, it may be the best looking (color)film in my collection. Unfortunately, it's not completely perfect. There is a slight sound drop out from time to time.

[ March 28, 2012, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2011 07:37 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, thanks mate [Smile] Honestly, if "A Merry Christmas" isn't No.1 somewhere soon, I'll eat my Indiana Jones hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xsg1Wo36hY

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Chris, Empire Pt.2 is notorious for having, how shall I put it, very treble boosted sound. I have heard several copies and all have had a very "bright" sound. Unfortunatley, all the copies I've heard also have momentary drop-out at different points also, although only for a split-second or so at varying points...Ken obviously employed a different recording house for these releases me thinks. [Confused]

That said, if the drop-out in your reel is constant, as your youtube posting suggests, it may be a fault or damage to the original recording which can be rectified with a re-recording?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qldLROKztxQ

Also note the difference in dialogue;

4:42 mins into your reel of Empire, "Any aggressive move will not be tolerated"...later re-placed in many theatrical versions with "You will not deviate from your present course".

Also, 12:49 into your reel of Empire, "We HAVE to go back" (complete with what looks like, albeit off-camera, lip-sync) replaced in most subsequent versions with, "I know where Luke is..."

Super 8...unique? [Wink]

Of course, all 8mm versions are the same, but just watch that, "we HAVE to go back", again, watch the actors reactions, and tell me it isn't better.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 03:04 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I just watched the scenes and you're right! The original is better. Since he just bought this and has plans to redo the sound, I hope Osi can find a clean copy of the original soundtrack.

Now, I apologize If this has already been discussed elsewhere but I have an "Empire" and a "Star Wars" S8 question. Why was the line "No, I am you father" and the death of Obi-Wan cut from the digests?

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 06:31 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, it was part of the contract with Fox and Ken that these pivotal moments would be excluded from the cut downs.

Some forum members have sneakily re-dubbed "I am your father back in"!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 09:03 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. If I still had it, I'm not sure if I would dub in the line or not. But I do know that 8mm films get altered by their owners. :0

I'm sorry, but my original post was the ravings of a lunatic. Don't look too hard for that longer version of "Star Wars" part 1. I had a closer look at mine and, sure enough, those scenes were spliced in. I was originally looking for tape but someone did an excellent cement job. I could not see the splice when I first watched it. Now I can.

Speaking of fan edits, am I the only one who finds it interesting that this just went up on eBay? They sold the exact same thing on Wed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230679450623?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

[ March 28, 2012, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a nice edit job though - yours I mean, Chris.

Darn, I was quite looking forward to discovering yet another version!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 11:41 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think it's good, too. Like I said, I couldn't even tell when I watched it. Have you spliced your 200 in the 400 part 1? If I hadn't bought it that way, I think I would have tracked down the 200 and done it myself. I wish Ken had made one. Again, I'm sorry I gave you hope of finding a "longer" part 1. I did ask the seller of the re-edit of 1 & 2 if those scenes from the 200 were also in it. They said no. Just the original parts 1 & 2 were combined. If I had an extra $50 to blow, I would be curious to see how good a job they did.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 29, 2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, perhaps you should read the beginning of this thread. Master Rob is the one who inspired a lot of us into editing together both Keb's 400 footers, the 200ft extras and the Marketing reels into a nearly 1200ft digest of the film.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon, monsieur. mon erreur. Merci

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 30, 2011 02:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vous êtes le bienvenu ! [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if part of the reason for the editing out of "I am Your Father" might have been because the earliest printing (known) of the Empire Digests was december 79, (as noted on the German Empire part 1 print), and if these were entering the hands of the public before it actually hit the theaters, that big reveal of Darth being Luke's father ... welll, the cat would have been let out of the bag.

If I do re-record the Empire digests, I'm going to place the re-record on the balance stripe, as the sound effects and some of the dialogue on that Empire digest is from different vocal "takes" that were not used later on. That makes that early version in the digest something of a collectors item.

Still looking for a low fade part 1!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2011 06:25 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, your original review has inspired me. I have edited part 1, part 2 and the 200' together in chronological order.

[ March 28, 2012, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC