8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Magic Box (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Magic Box
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2017 11:28 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is quite a good print for Super 8mm.
Very nice indeed. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 25, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a really nice looking print.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 25, 2017 01:41 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks gents. I am more than happy with it I have to say.
The image quality surpassed my expectations to be honest for this title.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2017 02:16 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched a beautiful low fade color print of THE MAGIC BOX at the Cinevent on 16mm. The Technicolor was stunning.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 01, 2017 04:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you enjoyed it Guy. What's not to enjoy? [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2019 09:57 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ged has recently said that sales for this title were poor and may not have made enough money to cover negative costs and rights. So if you have a copy treasure it, there can't be many around.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a Derann print of this film! It was nice and sharp! I ended up selling it! I just did not care for it! I did not know it would become so rare!

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2019 05:32 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to concur with your opinion Leon. I managed to struggle through this film once and that was with a few fast forwards. In a darkened cinema I suspect most would be in the land of nod 💤💤after the first reel. In terms of repeatability once every 20-30 years viewing would be optimistic so you were wise to sell title.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 06, 2019 11:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nonetheless, Martin Scorsese has many times cited it as one of his favourite films, and one that inspired him.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An much over rated director Paul.

Stuart Hilliker
Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2019 04:39 PM      Profile for Stuart Hilliker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each to their own. I love the film. Beautifully shot, hugely sentimental, historically questionable but a faultless celebration of the romanticism of film......which is why this forum exists isn’t it?
Great Derann print as well.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 08, 2019 05:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be the odd one out having a great love for this beautiful 1951 movie and to have it on reel film is wonderful especially with the subject matter.

This is a deeply emotional film for me especially when he triumphs and rushes out in the street to break the news. As a boy I was fascinated by it all no doubt contributing to my love of film making and the workings of the intermittent, something no video projector enjoys. To have the honour of projecting the 8mm film is priceless even though it is a little variable, but I have always felt it captures his own struggle to make camera film and perfect it. When I project the movie its very much a case of white gloves on and the white technicians coat 40's projectionist style.

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, my Derann print of THE MAGIC BOX looks much richer and more colourful AND SHARP than the DVD.
And in my opinion it’s the magic that counts: screening a celluloid feature about the development of the moving image; in one word amazing!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 10, 2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Oliver. This film is really a must have for 'reel' film collectors.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2019 09:37 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this film come out as a digest? Derann did this with there features!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 26, 2019 02:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No digest of this film that I am aware of Leon. Too bad, because a 600 footer of this title could be really good.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 03:21 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I too have to concur with Mike Newells comments...I can understand why many may like it to a degree..I thought it overrated and of course... a lot of artistic and historic license/contrivance was most definitely used and attributed to Friese- Greene concerning the "invention" of the moving image!

I have seen clips of the print and its not bad 8mm wise.. - its interesting though how film brings us all together yet divides us on opinion...that the great thing about the "magic" of the movies.

[Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 10:42 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no digest but Derann released a trailer which due to the subject of the film required it to be quite long. It is a edited highlights of the main events.

Surprisingly the print in trailer was quite stunning although a little blue due to colour stock being used. This prompted a fellow collector to buy feature as he thought quality would be the same as trailer. Whilst the feature print is very good it does have issues with marks and variations in print quality between reels.

This prompted the buyer who was fussy about what he bought to reconsider the purchase and he specifically showed Magic Box at his home cinema with a view to sell to another collector at a greatly discounted price. After no takers he made some kind of deal to return to Derann. It did rankle him a lot as he made a financial loss and he was very careful with other purchases to quiz Derann staff before purchasing new features as he felt he had been lied to by them.

It wasn’t available for long and I wouldn’t think it was a big seller for Derann. I remember Derann showed a clip of it at Blackpool that year and Derek was teased by us by saying to him we know who’s print that is!!

Personally, I think it is a bore. Robert Donut 🍩 has a much charisma as a wet lettuce and I am eternally grateful he didn’t play Captain Blood or Robin Hood.

If others were honest it would be a film they watch once every 20-30 years so it certainly couldn’t be regarded as repeatable film under any circumstances.

If you want a film about film and projecting Smallest Show on Earth with Peter Sellers sums up the perils and problems of this hobby and is much much funnier!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 27, 2019 11:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rated 7.1 on IMDB by 1,026 viewers.
Mike, I don't think The Magic Box is a comedy film. It is a serious biography with some amusing moments.
My print is generally excellent, and I have watched it several times over the past 15 years. Certainly not as repeatable as Singin' in the Rain, but then what dramatic films are?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 11:34 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no digest but Derann released a trailer which due to the subject of the film required it to be quite long. It is a edited highlights of the main events.

Surprisingly the print in trailer was quite stunning although a little blue due to colour stock being used. This prompted a fellow collector to buy feature as he thought quality would be the same as trailer. Whilst the feature print is very good it does have issues with marks and variations in print quality between reels.

This prompted the buyer who was fussy about what he bought to reconsider the purchase and he specifically showed Magic Box at his home cinema with a view to sell to another collector at a greatly discounted price. After no takers he made some kind of deal to return to Derann. It did rankle him a lot as he made a financial loss and he was very careful with other purchases to quiz Derann staff before purchasing new features as he felt he had been lied to by them.

It wasn’t available for long and I wouldn’t think it was a big seller for Derann. I remember Derann showed a clip of it at Blackpool that year and Derek was teased by us by saying to him we know who’s print that is!!

Personally, I think it is a bore. Robert Donut 🍩 has a much charisma as a wet lettuce and I am eternally grateful he didn’t play Captain Blood or Robin Hood.

If others were honest it would be a film they watch once every 20-30 years so it certainly couldn’t be regarded as repeatable film under any circumstances.

If you want a film about film and projecting Smallest Show on Earth with Peter Sellers sums up the perils this hobby and is much funnier!

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

it is so interesting the way movies affect us and in general - and this may be the case with the "Magic Box"...our own film experience as to what we like reflects our opinion and judgment.

I do have to agree with Mike...it is a nice film in a snmaltzy way..and I also know it struggled to be sold (Derann wise) as I knew Derek well. But for me - it was the fact that so much about Friese-Green was contrived and not true..sorry...just my factual research. So..it is a film I watched a couple of times.

I think its a personal memory film..which is good..and thats what makes movie collecting great.

Mark

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2019 04:36 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Paul , 7.1 rating on IMDB is based on 32 reviews including a very lengthy one from your own self. Still does not make it a classic more a curiosity. 2 screenings in 15 years says it all I’m afraid 😟 who knows I might have triggered another screening. I’m glad your print is excellent but being a fan I think rose tinted projection 📽might be involved.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 27, 2019 05:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just re-read my original post reviewing this film at the top of this thread. I think it gives a fair and impartial account of the print quality and sound of the Derann release, as well as a good summary of the film story and content. That is what this 8mm print review section is all about, not so much to argue the artistic merits of the film, which can be found in plenty of other places.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC