8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Music Box, Laurel and Hardy, 1932 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Music Box, Laurel and Hardy, 1932
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 03:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really interesting Paul, I shall look out for him now next time I watch mine.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2015 06:15 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both in Super8mm & 16mm since I'm collecting more 16mm films now. Both are great!

I purchased the L&H DVD The Essential 10 disc Collection. The picture quality is quite stunning on my DLP Projector since they were remastered from the 35mm negative. Disc 10 features on location with the boys where they tour the actual filming locations of their most popular shorts where they show before & after video of all the popular on location shots including the famous stairs.

The "Music Box" steps still exist. Oddly enough it took years to find them. It's hard to imagine an object that is stationary, several hundred feet long and weighs hundreds of tons getting "lost", but there was a lot of confusion over which of several sets of steps in the area it was and the surroundings have changed a lot.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 26, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's hard to imagine an object that is stationary, several hundred feet long and weighs hundreds of tons getting "lost",
Really Roger? And I thought you were the best magician on the forum! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten Charley's name, and he was in a number of the features. I remember him in the "Dentist' scene from "Pardon Us"

" He says his tooth buzzes! "

[Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi, he was in virtually all there short films ,along will James Finlayson, and Mae Busche. I just acquired "THERE FIRST MISTAKE", an early one from the boys, she plays ollies wife.

[ February 27, 2015, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Paul Browning ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the faces James Finlayson pulls. They still make me giggle to this day, especially in Way Out West. Just superb timeless comedy.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Andrew you got to love old James, no swearing, no murders, just timeless comedy, perhaps one of the freeview channels could dedicate just one channel to all these comedy greats, they'e not on any of our channels now, just the "so called comedy" with Miranda clap trap, what rubbish that is. Almost every visual joke, has been stolen from either Norman Wisdom, or L&H along with ALL the silent comedy stars, all the prat falls and tom foolery, just not as well done. There will never be another two like these guys, just unique.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as well we all cling onto our films of these original "funny men" then Paul. We might be the only gang to try these out on future kids.

Now if only we had some Mr Ed, Munsters or Addams Family on 8!!

And yes, I know they are out there on 16 but I don't want to have to move house lol. [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2015 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that Andrew, lets re visit 1919 Mockingbird Drive on super 8,and Mr ED, just great TV.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 28, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never forget Jimmy Finlayson in "Big Business", insanely wrestling with a Christmas tree on the ground, near the end of that classic short!!

--------------------

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Finlayson is my favourite!! He was great in all these Hal roach comedies.
I love his expressions in 'Mush N Milk' when he calls old cap and spanky picks up the phone....Finlayson asks 'Who is this speaking?" and Spanky looks into the phone and says' I don't know i can't see you'....
 - [Razz]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 07, 2015 01:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think that anyone did a better "double take" that James Finlayson, especially with the accompanying sound effects that were usually added by the Hal Roach sound editer!

--------------------

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 05:38 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
re the L&H 10 disc essentials collection on dvd. this is reckoned to be superior in quality compared to the universal released set. can anyone confirm this. thank you.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 08:33 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
I purchased the L&H DVD The Essential 10 disc collection. The picture quality is quite stunning on my DLP Projector since they were remastered from the 35mm negative.

The Essential box set collection is supposed to be one of the best! The picture quality on all the 10 discs is razor sharp &
quite amazing!

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2015 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many thanks Roger. that is of great help to me. thank you.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The picture quality is quite stunning on my DLP Projector since they were remastered from the 35mm negative.'

@Roger- You bring up an interesting point!...

See, this is the reason I opted out of buying the DVD set...for now... [Smile]
We have a couple digital version of some of our super 8's and the kids don't like to watch them on the DVD...they look too good. There is something beautiful(in a strange way i suppose) about the dust and scratches, as long as they are not too many [Smile]

Last week here in Hamilton, Ontario, I brought the kids to Mother's Pizza http://mothersrestaurants.com/ .This place is really nostalgic for many in this area because they were the only one's back in the 70's-80's who continuously played the oldies on super 8! You could watch Laurel and Hardy or Chaplin or whatever while eating pizza- FANTASTIC! Well anyways, although the food is still GREAT, it really bothered me watching laughing gravy on a 60 LED, mint quality.....while they had no sound turned on and some other radio music playing while we tried to watch.
Long live Dust and Scratches!
Cheers,
Matt

ps: btw- if you don't mind me asking, what kind of DLP did you end up with? I ask because i was looking at the elmo 85HD at one point. Looks amazing!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 09, 2015 12:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with you Mathew! There is nothing more bizarre I find, than watching a 1930's black and white movie, warts and all, on a 1080p digital projector!

They simply do not go together IMHO.

--------------------

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2015 12:53 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Matthew,

I have a Toshiba DLP TDP-XP2U. Has the Texas Instruments Brilliant Color Technology which makes a big difference in the color & picture quality. I had looked at another projector without it and there was a big difference in the color & sharpness of the picture quality especially on a blu ray disc.

Roger

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2015 05:09 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx very much for that info Roger! I will research the one you got as well to narrow down which one I will like eventually. I like the whole idea projecting onto the wall rather than a TV!
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2015 06:54 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Mathew,
Do some research first on the projectors that is what I did and from what I read the best ones for picture quality are the ones that have the Texas Instruments Brilliant Technology. It has to do something with the color wheel because the colors on my projector are super vivid.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 09, 2015 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

This topic certainly has evolved!

Where did Stan and Ollie go?

[Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 10, 2015 07:05 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine mess of a thread! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 10, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant well when I started it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 10, 2015 02:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did well, Steve, there's just so many tiny elements to any topic that can send it out in the middle of nowhere!

Classic film that every single super 8 film collection should have, (unless, of course, there is someone out there that hates the Lads!)

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 02:58 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the boxed films suffice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC