8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Music Box, Laurel and Hardy, 1932 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Music Box, Laurel and Hardy, 1932
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 03:26 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How wonderful to hear so many of you lauding the comedy skills of The Boys. I have many of their shorts and several of their features. I never tire of watching them and it's great to know that today's youngsters still find them adorably funny still. Such good clean family humour and even though they shared a bed in many of their films there was no suggestion of any impropriety. It was simply accepted as pure, innocent fun and part and parcel of the duos comedy partnership. So nice to know that they were friends to the very end.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Far from it from all accounts Terry! Stan Laurel was known for his Casanova style womanizer ways apparently.An unlikely candidate I know but fame and fortune gets you anything in this world, even back then it would seem.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
When I said 'impropriety' I meant between the two of them in the films. Not their private loves after the cameras stopped rolling. I can't imagine a modern comedy duo getting away with antics like sharing a bed together without some politically correct idiot making something out of nothing.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 12, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Terry, quite right.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2015 04:26 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we love em!!!!, even after 80 odd years later, the visual gags, the word play, the look to camera was all done way back then. In fact morecome and wise did a regular sketch on there show, where they would share a bed and do the comedy, and they were big fans of the boys, that's why they did it too. Stan was certainly married a few times for sure, and was paid more than Ollie, in an agreement with Hal roach studios, he did the gag writing for the films along with Harold Lloyd, while Ollie played golf. His pay was incredible, considering these were made during the depression in the early 30's, when most were singing for there supper literally.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2015 12:13 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the main things that drew us towards really enjoying L & H was the fact that we were a family who grew up watching Gilligan's Island, and although super corny to many, extremely enjoyable to others. My 3 kids are in the 8 to 13 age range now, so when they were younger, they really like watching GI. So it was naturally when I got into Super 8's and we started watching L&H, we were so surprised to learn how much Alan Hale and Bob Denver used of Hardy and Laurel in their characters. For example, the skipper stare...that is, every time gilligan blunders and skipper is affected in some capacity, he then looks at the camera with that classic 'fed-up' look:
 -
which was totally borrowed from Ollie(James Finlayson does it too sometimes!):
 -

Also, the hand gestures skipper always does, as if to say 'I'm staying right here' and twirls his index finger a couple of times before pointing down....that totally comes from Ollie...
The way skipper hits or picks on Gilligan, Ollie picking on Laurel, to a tee! etc...etc...

The Music Box is great. Apparently, there was a silent film called 'Hat's Off' that was remade with sound with some changes, which they called The Music Box. There is no copy of this film found, although, a reconstruction of the main ideas from pictures can be watched here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WbrXEMU6E
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Lads" deserve every bit O praise that they have received!

They're comedy (as well as many of the classic comedians) show how laugh out loud funny, doesn't have to be toilet humor.

I was just reminded of my favorite moments from "Towed in the Hole", those lovely shots, from smaller and smaller placed, as Stan stares up at a paint drenched Ollie, (who Stan has inadvertedly showered with the paint), and after many shots back and forth (with Ollie glaring menaceingly), Stan then looks perplexed and asks ...

"Why do you have paint on you're head?"

... to which Ollie is about to reply, catches himself, staring into the camera ...

next shot, Stan now has two black eyes! (or was it one?)

magnificent gag!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2015 08:47 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a mid-70's Blackhawk print of THE MUSIC BOX, pink box, pre-Lee Enterprises, and it is excellent -- there is nothing wrong with it.

I've heard that by the '80s the Blackhawk negative was beat-up and the prints were less than stellar.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 16, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about the second half of some prints of the Music Box being fuzzy in image, and I'm happy to report that mine is great on both reels (whew!)

Joseph, in the early 1980's, Blackhawk, due to the problem that you were just mentioning, made brand new negatives of they're best selling titles for re-release as those "Silver Box Editions" and where possible, did they're best to get even better material, (for instance, original title cards if available or in some cases, original the end cards, which at times, the earlier releases wouldn't have), and in nearly all the cases, these later silver box editions better.

[ June 18, 2015, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that Blackhawk changed labs (again) around 1983 -- the bad print of THE MUSIC BOX I heard about was printed in 1983 -- with visible, printed-in splices. The '83 THEM THAR HILLS also had this kind of wear, but not as much.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 29, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two sets of The Music Box... a pink box and a green box. I suppose I should sell one...but I'm having a hard time deciding which one looks better [Confused] They both look and sound really good. [Smile] [Cool]

Everytime my grand kids come to visit...they always ask to see "the one with the piano..." So maybe having a backup copy is a good thing. [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2015 12:06 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have "back up" copies of some of my favorites. I have my favorite digests and features in both 8mm sound versions and in 16mm. Some 8mm digests I also have "doubles" of. The same goes for my best loved features like "A Christmas Carol" and "It's A Wonderful Life". I use the 8mm for in-home small groups and the 16mm for when I have a larger group (10+ people) in a bigger room. I also buy duplicate copies just in case one should get "chewed" beyond repair or go vinegar on me. Let's face it... Film prints are not something that's still being manufactured so this way I'm never without.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to have back-ups of many of my titles, but lack the room. I just do what many do, when I find a better print of a beloved title, I pass on the other on ebay ect.

Back to the lads ...

I hope that the restorations (talked about elsewhere) will become available on Blu-ray as, while I will always cherish my "Celluloid Lads", I would love to see just how good these restorations could be.

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 04:18 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

I would keep both prints of THE MUSIC BOX now unless you can get a fair trade -- it's a buyer's market right now for L&H on film.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was not legal for Blackhawk to release prints with MGM logos.

Roach sold the films to Film Classics.

The original 35mm elements are in poor shape.

The first three 35mm restorations debuted at the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival in 2014 and they are superb.

Don't count on a Blue Ray release.

Buy Laurel & Hardy: The Essentials DVD box set because the original release prints of Brats, Perfect Day, and their foreign language counterparts, are unavailable on Region 1.

I decided to purchase the L&H Box Set before it goes out of print, and Amazon is selling this box set for: $50.00.

I love films, and in the event all else fails, the L&H DVD set is another alternative.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2015 07:42 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally Blackhawk let an M-G-M logo slip by -- I have a print.
Sometimes they left in Leo the Lion's roar over a blank screen before the main titles.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just a small note to Janice that if you ever decide to sell either of your copies...I would be interested in one of them, if they are not yet spoken for...I have been hoping for the music box for a while, but haven't found any copies I like or at a fair price....
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have "The Essentials " set and it's the best you'll get here in the states. I bought it right away fearing it would go on moratorium very soon. The classics for some reason don't stay out for long and I didn't want to miss my chance to own one. Not every print is stellar, but the overall quality is sure better than the "Nostalgia Merchant" VHS series I have from over 20 years ago.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 12:58 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

I have a Blackhawk, Super 8mm Way Out West, and the head leader is similar to one that you mentioned in your collection. The soundtrack includes Leo the Lion roaring against a fanfare soundtrack, which builds to a crescendo and ending in a rest, before the orchestral Kuku music. This dramatic musical intro sets a tone of a fine film achievement, with the boys at the helm of great entertainment.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2015 08:08 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So it was naturally when I got into Super 8's and we started watching L&H, we were so surprised to learn how much Alan Hale and Bob Denver used of Hardy and Laurel in their characters.
Alan Hale Senior played a part in the boys' OUR RELATIONS, so it is possible that Alan Jr. met them or was at least a fan. Hale and Denver indeed paid homage to them. GILLIGAN'S ISLAND is much better than many people give it credit for.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! I never knew about that possible Alan Hale Sr connection. Very neat. There are so many that have been influenced by the chaps. Great stuff.
Cheers,
Matt

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2015 03:46 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L & H are very appreciated from this side even young people don't know many of their movies now.

Concerning their "Long" Movies production, my prefered is "Way Out West" , this is a Classical, I love it.

I love almost all of their shorts.

L & H is , for sure, something to get in his movie collection.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2015 05:22 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to argue with WAY OUT WEST -- that and SONS OF THE DESERT are their best feautures. It's pointless to say which is better. THE MUSIC BOX is one of their best shorts. Again, who's to say if it is their very best? There are so many good ones.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 22, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's, of course, all due to each persons likes and dislikes, but I always felt that "Way Out West" was over-rated. A Good film, but not they're best in my opinion. My top two favorite features from the lads are ...

Son's of the Desert
Blockheads

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2015 02:24 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's nice about SONS is that it is more firmly planted in reality. No white magic from Stan (thumb lighting up), no stretching heads, no Ollie being heavier than a mule. Though only made 4 years apart, SONS and WOW have different styles of humour.

OUR RELATIONS is right up there at the top, too.

[ December 25, 2015, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Joseph Randall ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC