8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » local museum asks me to check films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: local museum asks me to check films
Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been asked by a local Mining Museum to clean, check and advise them on the content of a number of 16mm coal mining films. These films were last used over 20 years ago and the museum hadn't access to a 16mm projector. I picked up the films today and have begun repairs (splices, leaders etc). As my background is in mining as an electrician this should be interesting work.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 24, 2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, this is a cool (coal?) assignement! [Wink]
Good luck on the restoration job.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2005 03:39 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice opportunity, Mal, to use your expertise and background for the benefit of the good old celluloid.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 24, 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How nice to hear this, as opposed to something like 'I found a load of old films in a skip outside a museum!'

It would get even better if you later reported that they are buying a projector (which would hardly cost the earth) and are going to show them!

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 24, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, now that Jean-Marc has opened the door, [Wink] I hope it's now a reel bitumous assignment! [Big Grin]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, you were not far off the mark with your comments. I have over 40 NCB in my collection [sad, innit?] some of which were rescued from another Museum that had already thrown away two wheelbarrow - loads worth in to a skip. I have screened some of them to local Historical Societies which raised considerable interest due to this area being, until the 1980's, a major coal producing region.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC