8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Bela Lugosi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Bela Lugosi
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 13, 2007 04:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a fun evening out with Bela Lugosi last night showing Invisible Ghost on 16. Good old bela.
Here is a clip from the screening taken on my mobile phone in the Cinema.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BLK1oKK3ZE

The film was my own 16mm print and went down very well. Any other bela fans about?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 14, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee, good fun.
I think what makes these oldies is the music and the music`ey effects if you will.
Best Mark.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was great Lee. I've got the 4x400ft Super 8 feature of "Invisible Ghost" and love it. I collect all Bela Lugosi titles in Super 8 and 16mm as the films he did were such fun. I think that I prefer the "silly" Bela films to the earlier classics when he was a big star. My favourite Bela film is "The Devil Bat."

All the best,
Paul.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 14, 2007 11:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear from another Bela fan and I just love his flicks. Do have a pile of DVD'S of our Bela in but rarely watch them as I feel the quality is so variable unlike the 16mm prints, and in general the Super 8 versions were also very good. Also have 3 Belas on 9.5mm sound which are good prints also, so we have been very lucky to have these high quality prints made available to us eigh. In the coming weeks I will be parting with my second copy of each 16mm film print just as a matter of saving space. Yes, I have been nuts over Bela for many years not missing the chance to turn up at a party in my plush red lined vampire cape quoting “just a pin prick, or perhaps a little wine”. Always with my wife on hand with her camera and nick named “one shot Maguire”.
No hope for us I’m afraid.

-

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Poor Bela".....as Karloff once called him. Yes...we do love those films. It didn't matter if the film was drek, he always gave his all. His performances in Son of Frankenstein and Ghost of Frankenstein, as Ygor , were brillant..and really showed what he could do, if in the right part. I didn't really realize how many of his films I have in the collection until reading this thread. Dracula, Son of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, Black Dragons, White Zombie, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankie, Invisible Ghost, Invisible Ray...Devil Bat(that one is super 8)....all of them made special by his strong performances...or at least energetic performances. I would pay very good money for prints of You'll Find Out and Black Camel...in case anyone with those prints is reading this.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 30, 2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a big Lugosi fan. On 16mm I have Ghost of Frankenstein and A&C Meet Frankenstein.
I guess my favourite Lugosi film is The Black Cat with Karloff.

-Mike

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 30, 2007 09:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just waitin for a DVD to construct itself so will have a chat about Lugosi.

Ah the joy of Bela and how we love him here, even my Wife likes his films. I think every one of his films has an additional story to tell which is another attraction for me. Look at the Ed Wood link for one and the interesting friendship they forged not to mention the films Ed managed to get the now vintage star into.

But one film I have never been able to locate is The Saint’s Double Trouble which I would love to see one day. The DVD collection is extensive even right down to Bela’s silent classics such as Silent Command from 1923, but even today some of his work still eludes me which perhaps makes Bela even more interesting.

Of course there is nothing better than watching Bela on our beloved film formats and the chatter of the projector turning over as well, what more could we ask for. With the Halloween [Mad] thing ongoing at present no doubt Bela will have plenty of airtime albeit at home on our cine screens.

Good on ya Bela.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 01:25 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here's a picture of Bela in a very rare early role.
 -

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 31, 2007 03:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

What film is that pic of Lugosi from??

-Mike

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
I have absolutely no idea where this picture comes from. I did a google search on Lugosi some time ago and this picture of Bela appeared purporting to be Bela as Jesus. I checked his filmography on the imdb and there is no record of Bela ever playing that role on screen, but he did have a distinguished stage career in his native Hungary before making movies so it is possible that it is a publicity photo for a stage production.
Who knows. I like it because it is a great picture.
All the best,
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC