8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Sprocket repair tape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Sprocket repair tape
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 13, 2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I buy sprocket repair tape here in the uk?

Thanks, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

While I can't answer your direct question, have you considered making your own? All these guys did was take the 3m 16mm double perf splicng tape and slit the perfs off the edge. One side would be "A" wind and the other side would be "B" wind (Cinebug and Perfix machines each took a different wind of tape).

I haven't tried this myself, but I wonder if you mounted a roll of splicng tape on a small hobby lathe and used an Xacto knife to cut through the tape to the core if you could make up your own.

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 14, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info John, much appreciated. I see that Urbanski sells rolls but I must be able to find some here in the UK with some luck.
Does this method work well? I have a film where there is quite a lot of damage with the old loop restorer working overtime in the CL. The are some sections where there is damaged sprockets for as much as 6 frames.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2007 01:53 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Some may have had better luck that I, but I find the repair often tends to "walk" on the screen moving slightly because of the new sprocket hole position on the repair tape.

Other technqiues include notching out the bad piece of film leaving as much of the perf in place as possible. This of course depends on the type of damage. Sometimes a gentle iron application will help reform a bent piece--but be careful.

Of course we don't have the options of ordering replacement footage and the only other "cure" is to cut it out.

John

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Jack Roe (www.cinemasupplies.co.uk) who have branches in both the UK & The USA. I have priced up such tape from them, but it's not cheap! However, if it'll save a 16 mm feature, then it's worth it!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 17, 2007 08:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Simon I will give them a try.

Kev.

--------------------

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2007 02:23 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.philiprigby.co.uk/pages/browsecat-detail.php?detail=189

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2007 06:36 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,

Paul Foster sells it. Super 8mm £1.99 per roll, 16mm £2.49 per roll. Here is the url.

http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/accessories.htm

Hope that helps.

Ian.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ian, but isn't that just straight forward splicing tape? The other problem is finding a splicer at reasonable cost to take that tape.

I will email Paul and see what he says.

Kev.

--------------------

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2007 10:42 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purhased a pack of these from the USA a couple of weeks back, ok there for std 8, any use??? Let me know, btw, how many perfs are damaged??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Splicing-Tape-for-8mm-Film-Home-Movies_W0QQitemZ370008925367QQihZ024QQcategoryZ83878QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kevin let me check with an outfit here in the us as they might have some if not how much are you looking for?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 02, 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim. I will have to check the film and let you know but at the start for the first 10mins it looses it's loop loads of times.

Kev.

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2008 11:45 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, as John mentions, there was a company in the 1970's and 80's called Perfix. They sold tape and a machine for both 16mm and 35mm perforation repairs.

It was aimed at the beat up prints we used to get at drive-ins and grindhouses. I think they made tape and machines for Super 8 and 70 as well, at least they planned to. They advertised in Box Office magazine. Worth doing a search as I am sure stock would still exist.

I recall 35mm drive-in prints like Flesh Gordon that had no perfs intact down one side of a reel for several feet at a time! Good old Centurys still ran it though.

We also had 35mm shorts that were so bad the perfs split as you wound them. We did very extensive repairs with tape splicers that were more than satisfactory.

I have repaired some 16mm prints with folded splicing tape and a CIR (the best) splicer. As John mentions these repairs always had some tendancy to walk a little, but if you have a projector with good lateral guides it can be kept to a minimum.

David

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 03, 2008 05:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info guys. Kev.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev I checked with the place I get my stuff at and they used to carry it but do not any longer but there is a place I found a place in europe that has some for about 28.3794GBP here is the site http://www.janssenfilm.com/en/5-0.htm it is about half way down the page, hope it works.here is another site in the UK http://www.pec.co.uk/media/wtP4.html
I do have some but not as much as you need sorry [Frown]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 03:24 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like this might be something you'll need to get in the States. Urbanski has it, so does Christy's Editorial Film Supply in L.A., every different wind possible:

http://store.christys.net/shop/advanced_search_result.php?sessId=D96BFE06A5D52304EEF93F4F71756E49&page=5&keywords=sprocket+repair+tape&search_in_description=1&inc_subcat=1

It's actually pretty cheap for you guys-- our terrible dollar-- and I believe the roll length is ample enough.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC