8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What are you watching at the mo on 16?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are you watching at the mo on 16?
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What have you watched recently on 16 mm and what projector were you using? I have watched Diamonds Are Forever (scope) on the Elf Xenon 2000A. Prior to that, I watched The Fourteen starring June Brown of Eastenders fame!

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 26, 2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Hitchcocks SHADOW OF A DOUBT - excellent reduction I recently bought.
My trusty RM-1

-Mike

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Back to the Future - stunning print.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 26, 2008 10:29 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny Kaye in "The Court Jester". What a great film!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's "Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue" with Richard Todd and the lovely Glynis Johns on my Elf RM 1. A beautiful Technicolor print that I bought off Larry Pearce many years ago.

Germaine Fodor
Junior

- posted May 27, 2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Germaine Fodor   Author's Homepage   Email Germaine Fodor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last watched:

"Collective Behavior - Civil Disturbances: Part I- Evolution of Disorder and Crowd Psychological Factors" (U.S. Army, 1975)
This film was made for military police and soldiers on what causes civil disturbances and riots.

"Comparative Tests On A Human And A Chimpanzee Infant Of Approximately The Same Age, Part 2" (Psychological Cinema Register of Pennsylvania State College, 1932)
Oh wow...one of the 'tests' is tying a baby chimp and a little boy to a swivel-chair and spinning them around. SCIENCE!

"Blues Maker" (Christian Garrison/Univ of Mississippi, 1969)
Shows Mississippi blues singer, "Mississippi" Fred McDowell, singing and talking about his blues. Includes scenes of the area which helped to shape his country blues.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 04:05 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched my copy of Escape to Athena that i bought at Ealing on Saturday and a lovely print it is to ...Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2008 08:39 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last watched with my ELMO 16Cl-XENON

007 MOONRAKER - Lpp - Scope

MISSION - Lpp - Scope

Absoletuly stunning prints with excellent colors! [Big Grin]

Flavio

Germaine Fodor
Junior

- posted June 01, 2008 02:27 AM      Profile for Germaine Fodor   Author's Homepage   Email Germaine Fodor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and also-

I can't wait to watch all these great goofy "Tales of the Riverbank" which I just dug up from the basement!
(any Canadians out there - did you grow up with this show?)

Oh, and that's on the elmo 16cl.
-OR- the Bosch FDL-60....

(Yeah, ok, I actually have NO idea how to use the bosch!)

John Davey
Junior

- posted June 03, 2008 02:57 AM      Profile for John Davey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Waters' "Pink Flamingos" Lovely AGFA Stock, excellent condition.

"Performance" IB Tech. Need a little work.

"Team America: World Police" Bandsaw Print I am slowly putting together. Just finished Reel One.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 04:24 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched
LAUREL AND HARDY THIS IS YOUR LIFE 16mm TV episode, and at the end of the episode all the guest audience got a free 16mm projector and a sound copy of the episode provided by Bell and Howell.
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched four Betty Boop cartoons and Laurel and Hardy in Tit for Tat.

John - when you say "bandsaw print" do you literally mean one that's been cut up? So you're basically splicing one foot, or less, sections together? I assume you're going to loose at least one frame for every splice; doesn't this make the film very annoying to watch?

Stewart

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard of these "Bandsaw" prints. You would get through a hell of a lot of splicing tape putting them together and as you get further into the reel the splices get closer and closer. Still, if you've got the patience it is a way of getting a print of a modern film reasonably cheaply. Obviously, these prints are cut up this way to stop them being made available to home collectors. However as they are available on DVD and would project in that format quite nicely it does seem a terrible shame to treat the few available 16mm prints this way. I imagine that the cost of making these prints must be very expensive and who would they be intended for?

Paul.

John Davey
Junior

- posted June 12, 2008 04:46 AM      Profile for John Davey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart-

Yup. That's exactly what I mean. I haven't lost that many frames so far. Fortunately the bandsaw didn't do enough damage to have to remove a frame or two every foot. I will view the print again and give a full report about how annoying it is. I do not remember it being as distracting as I thought it would be.

I bought this print because it was cheap and a movie I thoroughly enjoy. I figured I would try out the whole bandsaw thing and see if it's worth the time/effort.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2008 01:42 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened my print of the silent version of Hitchcock's "Blackmail" struck from the BFI negative... Nice.. And actually quite a bit better film than the sound version...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 13, 2008 02:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the sound version. Didn't realise there were silent versions around.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story is that the movie was made silent, right on the cusp of sound coming into the UK... When it became obvious that sound was coming in - Hitchcock re-filmed large chunks of the film as a Talkie.. The sound version was the one in general wide release (and the version most commonly available) -- but the silent version had a limited release to theatres that had not yet been equiped for sound.

I'm not sure that it was ever officially lost, but prints were certainly nearly impossible to find until the BFI turned up a nitrate 35mm...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 13, 2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know, Hitchcock re-filmed the sound sequences under protest. He was not a fan of sound pictures at all, believing that the introduction of sound destroyed the purity of the art of the moving picture.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely true that the silent version is a lot better...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC