8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Hoppity still Reigns!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hoppity still Reigns!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know I'm not a 16MM collector, but I saw a print of "Hoppity Goes To Town" on 16MM being offered, (actually, I recieved a few e-mails encouraging me to buy it, but since I have an L.P.P. and AGFA print of this already, there was no need) ...

... and wow, Hoppity sold for over 400.00 dollars! Considering how many 16MM features, scope or not, sell for a lot less, this makes Hoppity a title with a long lifespan! A Lot of very good scope features sell for less, and it kind of does my heart good to see Hoppity still bringing in the great dollars!

He had some good screen shots as well. I don't know if it was his lighting, but the color seemed a little off in parts, as my Hoppity has better color on the Derann L.P.P. and even greater sharpness on my AGFA red Fox print. I'm sure that the actual print was a good eeal sharper than the screenshots represented.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a collector of both formats it never ceases to amaze me how modern Super 8mm prints can be far superior to 16mm prints especially when one considers that the image on 16mm 4 x times larger. Kemski's scope features were stunning and Lone Wolf's "El Cid" is a great example of Super 8 at it's best. The classic MGM full features of "The Three Musketeers" and "Showboat" knock spots off any 16mm prints I've ever seen, and they are always affordable compared to the many hundreds of dollars asked for a 16mm I B Tech print. You can also re record the sound which is an added bonus. I will always spend as much as it takes for a good Super 8 print that I want, but if a 16mm is too high I'll stick with the DVD.

Paul.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Paul ...

Of course, I would have to see this 16MM actually projected, ro look at indivisual frames with a lense, but from what I saw on the auction, both my Super 8 prints were superior ...

... and the surprising thing is, I paid 75.00 dollars for those two prints togehter, and they are near pristine ... go figure!

There's another thing I'd like to illustrate about this print, (the 16MM, which is, quite honestly, not that bad at all), and if someone can put a link to that auction and post the pictures from it, it can be illustrated. It appears that this 16MM print is taken at least a number of generations from the original. The screen shots are certainly bright enough to show off all the details from the frame ...

... but I noticed that the same frame from the AGFA print had enormously more detail in the frame than what was represented on the 16MM, and as I was explaining to my wife, it's all down to how many generations down the print was struck from the original. The more generations down the print is struck, the more you lose in information. Sometimes it can get so bad that you have nearly no mid tones (?), and in a black and white print, it can be disastrous, nothing but black and whites and no grays!

My AGFA of "Hoppity" has to be from an early generation or even original 35MM one generation down, as each and every frame is full of detail and sharpness that even the Derann L.P.P. can't equal, and that Derann is quite good!

[ July 09, 2008, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC