8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » CIR Splicer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CIR Splicer
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2008 03:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Members have recently been complaining about the price of Super 8 CIR splicers.

Some monhs ago I replaced my ageing 16mm CIR with a new one (Model 1T) from Jack Roe Limited of Ross-on-Wye. The total cost including UPS transport, insurance and British VAT (Value Added Tax) came to £313.47.

It is a splendid item and I hope will give me many years of service.

As I have said before in these columns, we have to pay for our hobby.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 22, 2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They can be picked up on Ebay, where I got mine, for £70-£80 quite frequently.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume, although you do not say, that you are refering to a second-hand item, not brand new.

In my experience the perforation cutters become blunt after time, and the receptable holes also get larger. This between them results in the tape not being correctly punched out, and time-wasting efforts by hand are needed to clear the punched holes.

Of course, spares are still readily available, but quite expensive.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 22, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Yes, mine was second hand.

You're correct in that if you can afford to it's better to buy a brand new splicer, but, not everybody can afford to. Thats why I just mentioned, possibly for newcomers who may read this thread, that they are available for a lower price.

-Mike

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone is in a position to pay that price. I bought a seconhand one for £60.00 and that's fine for me on the use it gets. You can pay the price's if you wish to. Just keeping a eye open for items at lower prices works as well.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloomin heck

I could buy a litre of diesel for that [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I like the look of the CIR 16mm 'amateur' splicer. Widescreen Centre have this at £200. Firstly, is this reasonable for the job and can it be found new any cheaper?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recommend any other splicer BUT the Ciro M-3 Specials.

I am proud to say that I own FOUR of them....2 for 35mm; 1 for 8/16; and one for super 8 as pictured below.

New or used, ones like this in perfect condition can't be beat. I worked in theaters for 25 years, and only the Ciro splicer lived up to the job.

Chip G

-

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 30, 2008 12:23 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven

The Wide Screen CIR @ £199 will adequately do the job but nothing's adjustable. Far better to add another £100 and have the proper job which should last a lifetime and for which spares are readily obtainable.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 30, 2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[URL=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-16mm-Film-and-mag-film-tape-joiner_W0QQitemZ110316731905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=it em110]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-16mm-Film-and-mag-film-tape-joiner_W0QQitemZ110316731905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories?hash=i tem110[/URL] 316731905&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

AND this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROFESSONAL-16mm-METAL-CIR-ADHESIVE-TAPE-SPLICER_W0QQitemZ380086212027QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_OtherFormats_GL?hash=item380086212027&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

[ November 30, 2008, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 30, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Chip, I trust CIR splicers for 35, 16 and reg 8 (I love the Fujica Stereo for Super 8 as it doesn't cover any of the mag tracks). Getting them cheaper on Ebay helps collecting spare parts, since everything on each device can be replaced.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice. I think I will splash out on the fully adjustable. I've never had a proper 16mm tape splicer, having done tape splicing with an old cement splicer that was my Dad's! In my new approch to the hobby now I should do everything properly!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 02:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven

A wise decision. Whilst I appreciate members' comments about second-hand CIRs on eBay, these do intend to wear, and although most spare parts are obtainable, new ones are expensive. Of course, a collection of old faulty/damaged splicers can be used for spares.

I can assure you that you will be delighted with your purchase. Have a word with Sandie at Jack Roe, she's a very helpful person.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC