8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Slot-loader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slot-loader
Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone explain to me what is a Slot-Loader? please

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 21, 2008 12:35 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More recent generation of projectors, like B&H TQ, Eiki/Elf SL, Elmo (or Kodak) CL. It's manual threading meets auto-threading. There's a channel, or slot, on the side of the projector, just slip the film through it, attach to take-up, turn knob and voila, projector is loaded and running. They are usually very gentle on films. Check out the Elmo 16Cl manual in the manual section and you'll see what I mean.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 21, 2008 01:14 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eiki/Elf SL's are a bad design IMO. The rear sprocket is totally hidden from view - makes it difficult to ensure engagement with perfs.

The Elmos somewhat better in this regard.

-Mike

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now Mike.... [Big Grin] (just kidding)

Having several Eiki SSLs, I can vouch for the ease of operation, and I can honestly say I have never had any issue with the rear sprocket not picking up right.

Slot loaders, in my opinion, are marvelous designs, both for the super-simple loading and because you can "rock and roll" the film back and forth like a reel-to-reel recorder to cue the leader before engaging the sprockets.
Also, removing a reel halfway through is very simple and non-damaging.
(At times I wish my Elmo ST1200 had that design, even though its auto-threading is very reliable.)

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 21, 2008 05:45 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Claus, most other SL and SSL users would agree with you.

But, thats my feeling - call it an irrational fear of rear sprocket damage [Wink] [Wink]

A new syndrome for the Psychology textbooks.

-Mike

[ November 22, 2008, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 02:42 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, your fear is founded as I've seen many cases of tempermental Eikis damaging films. Chewing on films would be the exact word. But these were auto thread or manual thread machines.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2008 01:17 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

If the Eiki is in proper adjustment, it "sets" the film on the sprocket as you rotate the knob. It's the setting of the upper and lower loops that sets the film on the sprocket teeth.

On Self Thread Eiki machines, early models such as the ST, RT, and NT required you to trim the lead edge of the film so it would enter the gate properly. If the timing of the upper sprocket plate was off (usually due to someone not resetting it after removing the cam tank or just playing with the locking plate) then the timing of the sprocket holes to meet the claw would be off and you could get a jam on the upper loop in threading.

The SNT machine retracts the claw and thus this problem is resolved on the STN and the Eiki machines with the Bell & Howell badge.

John

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you're correct, John.

It's just me - I guess that coming from a 35mm cinema background, I'm more comfortable when I can see clearly where my film is going.

[Smile]

-Mike

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely.

It's quite a complex task lacing up a projector with a platter system, so perhaps we're lucky that no 35mm designers conceived a method of autothread.

--------------------
Maurice

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

An auto-threading Norelco 35/70...Auch! Given the horsepower involved, when that went wrong, it would REALLY go wrong... [Eek!]

Claus

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 23, 2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

We didn't have a platter system. We used a Westrex Tower with 12000ft reels. Threading was not difficult but, it had to be done correctly.

Won't be long now before all the projectionist will have to do will be to stick a little plastic disc in a slot and press PLAY!!! [Wink] [Razz]

-Mike

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have both Eiki and B/H slot leaders I prefer the B/H due mainly to its three claw. I have been using this B/H 1680 GS for over 10 years, the projector has been very reliable no problems at all and being a slot loader its real easy to thread and un-thread, its my favourite 16mm machine.
 -
Graham.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2008 03:02 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have the B&H 2580 the B&H 3580 and eiki's version of the 3580 all in good working order although I make sure the sprockets are aligned on the pins before I start it as some films have gone off track but the nice thing is that these shut down once the loop is lost so no damage is done to the films I do have some where the films have gotten chewed but they still run and the only damage done was to have a few small marks on the picture.
I also have a Singer Insta-Load it is the same as the others bit in my opinion has a way better focus sharpness from cornere to corner.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 02:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

Do I understand that the Norelco was autothread?

Michael

I also worked on Westrex mechs and towers. As you say, lacing was quite easy, but it was always necessary to keep an eye on the take-up and adjust the speed tension as necessary particularly with a long film which came to the edge of the spool.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 04:30 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

I think Claus was just kidding about the Norelco.

Did you ever used to have problems with brand new prints and sagging on the Westrex tower? Could be quite difficult at times to get the tension right, I found.

-Mike

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 04:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

We started at 180, then immediately reduced to 100. Then progressively increased as the film ran, usually in increments of 10, finishing at about 160. If this was done prints didn't sag. But there were always exceptions to the rule!

Graham

I have a 1680G, how does your 1680GS differ? I can see one thing, an outlet (or inlet) at the front near the exciter lamp cover.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 01:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

It seemed only to happen with brand new previously unprojected prints.

Yep, those figures ring a bell. God bless your memory. To me it seems like a lifetime ago. I seem to recall the payout was set at 140?

-Mike

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 24, 2008 02:08 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Being a tiny Classic cinema I don't suppose we ever had new prints.

Large feed spool was set at 110. The small 6000' (for support programmme) were set to 80 on top and bottom.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC