8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » ELMO 16CL EXCITER LAMP PROBLEM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO 16CL EXCITER LAMP PROBLEM
Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2008 08:07 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks,i need some help with my elmo 16 cl.... A few days ago i was watching a marvelous print of the korda bross production "the four feathers"(1938),suddenly in the midle of the second reel the sound level was very low,i stop the machine and take a look to the exciter lamp and i can see that the intensity of the exciter lamp was poor sometimes and sometimes good,it flow from one point to another ...can someone help me to find the cause of this and the way to fix it? thanks and happy christmas to all

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

|  IP: Logged

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Jose
Try Replacing the lamp.
That Elmo 16 cl uses the BRK exciter lamp
Hope this helps
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 25, 2008 06:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A common problem on the CL with the earlier amp. It has two very large wirewound resistors on the amplifier circuit board. These tend to go dry jointed over time due to heat. A resolder of the joints should cure the problem. Also check the joints on the multiway connector under the board as I have also know those to have bad joints.

The service manual is in the manuals section here on the forum if you need to know how to remove the amplifier unit.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard!thanks alot for your advice,i change the exciter lamp but the problem still exist so i think i´ll try the solution from Kevin.

Kevin thanks a lot for your advice too,this forum is always excelent and very helpfull.

Kevin...do you receive a mail from me weeks ago about a feature you are still searching and that i was found a print here in Spain?

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 26, 2008 06:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, Sorry I didnt get an email from you. These days some emails get stopped by spam filters. You could try me on mrelmo at btinternet dot com then I can add your email address to whitelist to make sure they get through in future.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2009 07:25 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jose,

I had a similar problem to that which Kevin describes, except that it was the solder joints of the rectifying diodes which had gone dry. On my CL it was not necessary to remove anything except the back cover, and access to the culprit was immediately visible. A quick clean and scrape of the offending joint and re-soldering cured the problem.

Good luck.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC