8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Going mad trying to find 16mm 1600ft spools

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going mad trying to find 16mm 1600ft spools
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 05:06 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a source of NEW 16mm plastic reels as I'm fed up with warped, cracked, lousy second hand ones. So far the only place in the world I've been able to source them is Larry Koski in America. His prices are very good, but the shipping to UK is quite a lot (something over which he has no control of course), so I've been searching closer to home. Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK or Europe that can supply 1600ft spools? (I've looked at Wittner Kinotechnic in Germany but as far as I can see they don't have 1600ft spools). Any help would be really gratefully received. Thanks all.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 05:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stuart

I was going to recommend PEC in London as a source of 16mm spools and cans, but having checked their online shop it seems they only have cans in stock - it may be worth 'phoning them though in case they have limited stock in the store. The link for PEC is below - they sell lots of goodies including CIR tape and splicer parts and 16mm spacing if needed:

http://pec.co.uk/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/index.php?cPath=32&osCsid=fbc5be6a0699275277d94c0c7568f7dd

If you need some 'like new' 16mm Celcolite 1200ft spools and cans let me know as I have some to sell.

Kevin

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart,

Is there any reason why you don't want to use the 600m reels? They can handle a bit more the 1600', but will fit any projector. Wittner does them.
Also, have you tried Jack Roe? 16mm reels are not listed on the webpage, but it says someweher that they can deliver.

Hope this helps,

- Rob

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin: I'd totally forgotten about PEC - duh! On the plus side I've just ordered a replacement part for my CIR splicer from them and got so excited on the phone I forgot to ask about the reels. Man, I need to cut down on the coffee

Rob: I think the 600m reels from Wittner are about an inch wider in diameter so won't fit on my rack.

Also, typically just milliseconds after posting I came across http://www.philiprigby.co.uk/index.html

Now THAT looks promising. I've just emailed them, fingers crossed. [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC