8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Converting USA Elf Eiki to UK voltage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting USA Elf Eiki to UK voltage
Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from the cost of purchase and the cost associated with importing to the UK from the USA, does anybody know whether it is technically feasible to convert an Elf Eiki 16mm projector to operate on 240v. Is it a case of changing the transformer to 240v or is there more involved? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2009 11:30 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There's more involved. Eiki did make an "international" model (I have an SSL I think that has world voltage taps but you still need to replace the motor for the proper voltages).

To change voltages you need a new motor for the proper voltage as well as a transformer for the lamp/amp. It's possible to get a 120/240 lamp/amp transformer, but the motors were only available for 120 or 220 or 240 volts.

A step down transformer might be a better solution.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maplin in the UK do a US transformer and it is only about £20. I think that does the job as just an outboard unit. UK plug on one end, US socket on the thing itself.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Robert Lewis
Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2009 03:21 AM      Profile for Robert Lewis   Email Robert Lewis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chaps. Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated, as always. Regards, BOB

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,
If you intend to use a stepdown transformer, what is the TOTAL rating of the machine in WATTS?
You should find it on the rating/ serial number plate.

Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC