8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » What to do when a film isn't as advertised?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do when a film isn't as advertised?
Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a 16mm short for $ 75.- advertised as excellent via this forum.
Shipping costed an additional $ 36.24.
Unfortunately the film had at least 4 splices and the beginning and end was wrinkled.
There were also scratches visible.
Not too bad, but not excellent as advertised.
So I contacted the seller.
He will take the film back, but I have to pay for the return shipping.
Is this the normal routine if a film isn't as advertised?
Or should the seller pay for all shipping costs?
If I send it back, both the seller and I loose $ 36.24.

I just would like to know how other forum members deal with such situations.
I respect the seller highly, so I certainly do not want to argue with him about this.
If this is the general rule, so be it.

Hans

|  IP: Logged

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any issues with films traded here, but on the few occasions when this has been an issue on E-Bay it's been pretty much 50/50 over whether or not the seller will pay return shipping.

If I have to pay and it's cheap I do so. If it's expensive and the film isn't total junk then I'll usually suggest to the seller that I'll be happy with a partial refund to make the price more equitable. Nine times out of ten this produces a positive result.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 12:42 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think how people deal with this is probably all over the map, including going on forums and badmouthing (WHICH IS NOT ENCOURAGED [Eek!] )but I think a fair resolve should be to send the film back and pay for it and have the seller reimburse you for the entire original payment (film+shipping) that way you have each paid for sending the film which evens out, and the seller refunds the purchase price......I think sometimes people forget that there is no universal code for quality and descriptions when it comes to film collecting. That being said I personally wish that if someone wants to purchase something from me and they have extremely rigid quality stipulations or expectations I really wish they would just ask any specific questions (rather than just go by the sellers description since anyone's definition of excellent is subjective) as to what would be their deal breakers BEFORE I send out the film, as it would save alot of work and frustration on both ends and would probably alleviate a number of the bad experiences that people seem to have had over the years

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2009 04:27 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was the seller I would offer to pay return shipping if it was my mistake

As a buyer I would expect to pay shipping one way on a return, not both - hardly seems fair.

The 'protocol' is for money ( which is always in excellent condition ) to be sent first - then - whatever you are buying is sent last and hopefully its as advrtised.

This whole process seems inequitable and unfair - it seems as if the item should be sent first, and if acceptable then money changes hands ( since money is 'always' good )

Granted one might worry they would never see their money, on the other hand, the way the protocol works now one worries if they will get the 'goods' or get the 'shaft'. The way it is now is better for thieves, because its easier to ripoff cash than it is to ripoff an 'item' and then sell it.

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your thoughts on this matter.
I guess Dino has a point.
The seller might still consider the film as excellent, even with some splices and being wrinkled.
I rest my case and next time I will ask more specific questions about the quality.
Thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC