8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » old & new B&H lens diameters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: old & new B&H lens diameters
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2010 06:47 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any of you good people explain why listings for "newer" Bell & Howell 16mm projector lenses are all supposedly compatible? You'll see 500 series, 1500 series, and 2500 series as all compatible. Okay, fine, but how is that different than other B&H 16mm lenses? Is the barrel size different? Barrel length?

Reason being, I've stumbled across a long-throw lens from Bell & Howell. The problem is that it's smaller than a 2500-series lens by a few mm, plus it's impossible to even focus, even on a distant surface, because the lens has to be positioned too far forward to even go into the projector's barrel. You can actually image the filament with this thing. I'd almost suspect that lens elements are missing but nothing looks amiss.

|  IP: Logged

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2010 11:58 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the focal length of the lens? Is it a B&H brand name lens? All large barrel B&H lenses I've seen will work with the 500, 1500, and 2500 series. I believe they are 52.5mm diameter in the thread area. Of course, the 100-300 series use a much smaller barrel lens.

--------------------
John Hermes

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 500 series, 1500 series, and 2500 were all manufactured by Bell & Howell. After Eiki bought B&H's audio visual division, subsequent models were re-badged Eiki's and used Eiki sized lenses.

Early B&H projectors (pre 500 series) used much smaller lenses.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, it is a long-throw lens and definitely has B&H stamped on it. However, I'll bet you its Eiki-sized. I don't have exact details handy, which I'll eventually put up here. However, the long-throw lens is only millimeters smaller than the 2500-series holder I'm trying to put it in, and won't focus, so a completely different projector would explain all.

John and Mitchell, thank you. More to come after I have to do some digging.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2010 01:07 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an EIKI 75mm lens that sounds like what you describe. I have never been able to make it focus in any projector at any throw. I almost thought it was for a slide projector but it says super-16 on the barrel as well.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC